Respected Contributor

Re: I'm in unsubscribing mode these days

I get emails from companies I've never heard of and a few I have so somebody is sharing my information.  I gleefully unsubscribe from them and some sites I love as well.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I've always gotten around to unsubscribing from sites that flood me with e-mails and that I don't have any use for.

But today I unsubscribed from two sites that I love...too much. :-) I get too tempted with their flash sales and promos and rewards, oh my. I was finding myself so enthusiastic about saving money that I was spending when I hadn't really planned on it. 

So I clicked my way out of it, at least for now. If there's an amazing sale in the forest, and I don't know about it, it doesn't exist. 

Anyone else done this to avoid the trap?

I get way too many emails each day with offers and discount promotions. If the site is is one I one I rarely use "delete & unsubscribe". It's so much the temptation for me as the constant annoyance, especially when the email begins w/ my first name and proceeds with "we have have a great deal for you"... automatic delete. 

Esteemed Contributor

I did that about six months ago - got rid of a lot of unwanted emails and some that I just don't have the time to read. Such a good feeling.

And, yes, recently I unscribed from a couple that I love, but don't want the temptation nor do I really need to spend money on things i don't need.

Congratulations to you!

Respected Contributor

Emails that I unsubscribed to 6 mo ago are resurfacing now. I don't like that one bit and had to redo them. 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I agree with you all, but let me reiterate that I unsubscribe all the time from nuisance stuff.

But today I unsubscribed from two beloved sites, simply because I am too spineless in the face of the promos, flash sales, and reward point.

@suzyQ3 I know your pain as it was tough to unsubscribe from my beloved Rue La La . . . I had such a great experience with that site in terms of setting up my house with so many things but I quickly realized I was buying things I truly didn't need and had to cut myself off . . . I still sneak over there occasionally though . . . 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've caught the bug too! I've been unsubbing from Facebook feeds, YouTube channels, store emails, instagrammers, bloggers, I've been meaning to for awhile but once I started it was so freeing not to have my inbox and feeds cluttered. 

Honored Contributor

@CinNC wrote:

I go thru spurts of what I subscribe to and unsubscribe. For a while it was cooking blogs but most recipes had ingredients too difficult to find in a rural area. 

Now I'm subscribing to cruelty free cosmetic sites. 

@CinNC I have pared down the number of cooking blogs that I subscribe to and now scan what their offerings du jour are and delete accordingly.

Honored Contributor

I recently signed up for Groupon and GOOD GRIEF, they send MULTIPLE daily emails. I'm already tired of them and it's only been 1 week! I'm getting ready to unsubscribe.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I probably should, suzyQ3!  I've done some serious shopping on the Nordstrom preseason sale (not that this is anything new, and at least it's only once a year).  Since all my jewelry was stolen a bit over a year ago, Ross Simons and the Q are temptations now.  But one reason I am still working is to spend a bit more freely (on gifts to loved ones, too, not just myself). 

It's a good strategy I've followed at other times, though:  out of sight, out of mind.

PS:  What I love (NOT) are the various websites who post "We miss you!" when I've never shopped at their site.  But Suzy is right:  those are easier to ignore than the last site where you learned of a great bargain.  It's tough, but necessary sometimes.

Honored Contributor

Most of the unsubscribing I've done lately is for things I would like to hear from on occasion .... but not DAILY .....   gees, you'd think some people would realize we have better things to do than read emails all day long.  Once in a while you can reduce the frequency, but too few give you that option, IMO.

Occasionally I'll get a window that asks why I'm unsubscribing ..... and my standard reply is "Too many ****** emails".     

Think someone will get the hint?  I doubt it.