Honored Contributor

Re: I'm here at jury selection

in all of my years i have only been called one time......and then was not needed after hanging around for a couple of hours. i would love to serve on a jury!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I've been on 4. The last one I was on I can't believe was even taken to trial.

Respected Contributor

I was on a jury in 2001. Had the victim not died, it would have been a "stupid criminal" type of crime. Sent one guy to prison for life & know that we did the right thing. I wouldn't mind sitting on a jury again, but hopefully not another kidnapping/murder/theft of a financial device (credit cards).

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't mind if the court wasn't downtown. It's a major hassle and they do not compensate for parking. Do you realize the cost of parking in downtown Chicago?

The criminal court of Cook County is at 26th and California which is right next to the county jail. The neighborhood is frightening.

If you hit it lucky, you can get one of the suburban courts and that's not too bad. One day/one trial.

Valued Contributor

On 2/2/2015 Ilikeshade said:

I'm surprised the OP hasn't been spanked yet by some of our more civic minded members. LOLOLOL!!!!

I feel the pain. Smiley Sad
Valued Contributor

It's a 212-3 week trial for vehicular homicide
Valued Contributor

On 2/2/2015 Luv2Decorate said:

I don't think serving on a jury is a bad thing and I don't understand why people don't want to do it.

However, if a juror has a bad attitude, doesn't want to be there, I sure as heck wouldn't want them on ANY case. Too many lives could be in jeopardy and that negative juror could have a lasting impact on somebody's life.

Not a bad attitude . it's going to be a very long yrial
Honored Contributor

I have sat on 9 jury panels and my only regret is that I didn't get to sitnon more. I just don't get why so many are so reluctant to want to serve. I know some of my co-workers did not like having to make decisions, but I just could just not understand why. So many like to give opinions on what other jurors "should have done", but them make a decision? NOPE, Anyone care to try to help me understand this? Only reasons other than "they don't have time or their job or their kids", Thanks.
hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I'm scared of criminals and people use subterfuge!
Valued Contributor

there is going to be a mental health defense. I don't believe driving too fast and drunk are mental health. When questioned, i said I didn't know if I could overcome my issues in that regard. I'm dismissed.