Respected Contributor

I'm going to be a Grandma(1st time) Happy w/mixed emotions.

Yesterday my DS and wife announced at Easter dinner that they are expecting in November. They were married in July and are both 34. I was expecting this and was looking forward to it but now that it's a reality, I'm happy but at the same time am experiencing some anxiety. I know they'll be good parents and I really want to be a Grandma. For some reason, I feel anxious as to weather or not "They're really ready for this?" Anyone else go through this? I know some of you "experienced grandmoms" can reassure me. Thanks - I need it!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

Re: I'm going to be a Grandma(1st time) Happy w/mixed emotions.

Something is troubling you a little, not sure what. They are not "kids"--definitely at an age to be super parents. Is it because they have not been married too long? Don't worry, Grandma. In November, you will all fall in love.

Esteemed Contributor

When you think about it, were any of us ready? I was lucky in that I had lots of nieces and nephews so I kinda knew the basics, but nothing really prepares you for when it's your own. My DD has a three y/o and just let us know she is expecting TWINS! She is a great mom. While I don't always agree with her parenting choices, I bite my tongue a lot. My GF says the same thing. They aren't kids they will figure it out.
Frequent Contributor

First congratulations! I am not a grandma but I think maybe you are subconsciously wondering how your relashionships Will change. It must cause mixed emotions to see your son become a parent. He is definitely at a good age. I am sure you raised him well and he will be a good dad. You will now share deeper things with him, relax enjoy this time ,support them . I am sure you will get excited as time goes by. Get ready to have a new phase of life .I think you will embrace your new station in life.Change is inevitable in life . Jump in ,expect wonderful things...Just think, more people to love! All the best .Maryanne
Honored Contributor

They are 34. They will be fine.

Honored Contributor

When you see that sweet baby for the first time, and hold in your arms, you will be so happy! My step-dtr. is 35 and she is pregnant with her 3rd girl, so I certainly think at 34 they are ready! Grandchildren are a delight, and congrats Grandma!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor

Congratulations - there is nothing better than Grandchildren. I do not know the cause of your worry, but if they are not ready at 34, when would they be ready?

Respected Contributor

They are 34 years old, why wouldn't they be ready to be parents? They are as ready as they can be at this stage. Relax and enjoy this special time in life. I'm envious, I would be on cloud nine today if my daughter announced a pregnancy yesterday.

Esteemed Contributor

If your son and daughter in law want children, this is the time to start. After 35 some women can experience a higher rate of problem pregnancies. When my daughter was expecting my grandson, I was a little concerned about how I'd feel about being a grandmother. My friends who were grandparents kept telling me how fantastic it is. I wondered if I'd feel the same way. I can laugh at myself now, three grandkids later. I adore them. The relationship with them gives so much joy and pleasure. Just today, that little grandson, who's now a 6' tall 20 year old college junior called to see how Nana and Papa are doing. I speak to all my grandkids every week even though they're no longer babies and live many, many miles away. So, don't worry. You're all going to be OK.
Esteemed Contributor

Your family absolutely is ready to welcome a beautiful new soul into their world. Kick your fear of change to the curb. It's a wonderful thing to be a grandmother. Enlarges the heart. More people to love. You will love it!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau