Super Contributor

I'm getting a Kitchen Remodel

Has anyone else done this??  I'm excited and scared too death!  Can anyone who has been through this give me any advice??  I'm getting ready to refinance my house.....

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm getting a Kitchen Remodel

@Dar321 wrote:

Has anyone else done this??  I'm excited and scared too death!  Can anyone who has been through this give me any advice??  I'm getting ready to refinance my house.....

@Dar321 You may want to post this under Home, where I think you will get many more responses!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

Oh my gosh, yes.  We just finished up a complete bathroom and kitchen remodel.  It was fun and hectic.

But, the kitchen looks wonderful.  We picked the cabinets first, then counter tops and backsplash (I'm not sure which came first) and then floors.  We took down a wall and what a mess.  The contractor had plastic hanging everywhere but it still gets into the rest of the house. 

Our contractor was good about connecting all the appliances before he left each day so we could cook.  We just kept our fingers crossed that everything we picked out would look good together at the end; and it did.  We did have two glitches but we can live with them.  (FYI:  we went over budget but it was worth it.)

Good luck.

Respected Contributor

Just know right up front it will take longer than you think and more money than you think. Now that being said just enjoy the adventure and follow your heart. Pick things that really make you happy and that you love. Don't let anyone else influence your decisions. Have a place set up with a microwave and coffee pot along with a cooler so that you can have coffee, tea or whatever hot drinks you want. A microwave is a game changer because you will get tired of eating out all the time. Use paper plates and utensils so you don't have to worry about trying to wash dishes. Enjoy the process and it is really fun to see the changes as they happen.

Respected Contributor

How exciting!  Just take your time in picking the materials and finishes.  Make sure that it's what you love (and not someone else's taste)!  Also, don't settle for cheaper materials if you don't have to (within limits, of course!)  

I replaced a shower about 4 years ago.  I was trying to save money, and didn't initially order the tile I wanted because it was more expensive.  I woke up in a sweat one night after ordering the less expensive tile.  I realized that for the few hundred dollar difference, I should get the one I loved.  I was willing to pay the penalty for cancelling the wrong tile, which would have added to the cost, but I got lucky.... only the floor and decorative tile were a special order, and I was able to use both.  I got the more expensive tile for the walls.  It was the best decision!  I still LOVE my shower!  

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SSyeuKV0W0)

Occasional Contributor

We just remodeled our kitchen last fall.  Expect it to take longer and be more expensive than the original quote. :0/      And make sure you get exactly what you want - don't settle for something just to get it done.  All in all I was happy with the changes I made but also padded my budget for changes/upgrades.   Hopefully you will as thrilled as I am.

Trusted Contributor

Lucky you : )  Take your time which will help you be sure you select materials you LOVE!!!  Stock up on take-out menus and enjoy the ride : )

Honored Contributor

When we bought our house, we had the kitchen gutted. And we hired a WONDERFUL contractor to remodel the kitchen. We signed the contract. He came in and within 5 days he had all his work done. Then on the sixth day, he subcontracted the guy to come in and do the floor.

He did a excellent job and it wasn't a penny over the contract.

My advise - get a good contractor. 

Honored Contributor

We once had a new kitchen , 2 bathrooms , roof, all new siding and a new deck put on & crown molding and new doors and trims throughout the house at the same time by the same contractor. Needless to say it was a hectic summer.We had gotten an inheritance and decided to update our 20+ year old house.

Honored Contributor

@Dar321

Congrats!!! Just finishing phase 2 of my home remodel.  Everything has been "upside down" but oh well so worth it!!!

Advice I'd give you:

1) Pick a licensed, insured & bonded contractor. 

2) Pick a contractor that doesn't require $$$ up front (other than deposit).

3) Ask for referrals and call or see the contractors work.

4) Don't settle for what you want, ie, say you want quartz but $$$ and you pick another material -- you may be sorry. During our remodel sometimes I was "shocked" at the price of my choices😳.  I insisted to my spouse -- I'd never be happy with something different because of price.  I stuck to my guns...I got what I wanted (by saving $ on something else).

5) Don't be surprised the estimate they give may not be the final price.  Ours only ran over by $1,600 because of issues they couldn't see! and I upgraded a few things.

Have fun shopping!!!!