Honored Contributor

Re: I'm getting a Kitchen Remodel

I have not. Mine was completed 10 months before moving in so I wasn't there for the work; I DO have all the receipts/contracts and WOW...not cheap.

My in-laws, however, have. SIL has. 3 neighbors have. 4 best buddies have. I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly. IF I had to do it, what I would be aware of is:

*Plan to spend more money than you thought.

*Do NOT. Repeat, do NOT go the cheap route.

*Do NOT substitute something else for what you REALLY want. Save up and wait if you can't afford what you want now.

*Make sure everyone has a license for the job they're going to do and make sure you are there while the work is going on. Or, if you can't be there, pop in un-announced just to see what happens when you're not there.

*CHECK references for the head contractor. Look as his/her work if you can. Do NOT be impressed by the glossy pictures he/she will show you as pictures can cover a lot of issues as well as be examples of the good jobs...you want to see it up close and live.

Last, and this may not be something anyone here would do: My in-laws and 2 friends wrote into the contract that:

1) the job was to be done CONSECUTIVELY and NOT BETWEEN OTHER JOBS.

2) Every day the contract went BEYOND the agreed completion date, a % of the contracted amount was deducted

3) NO going over the agreed budget. If the they are told that the cabinets are going to cost $15,000 and they sign, then that is what they will pay and NO MORE.

Good luck on the new kitchen and lucky you!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Remodeling a kitchen is a big deal, & hopefully you have written down what you hate about your current kitchen & what you WANT in the remodel.

As MominOhio said, avoid the trendy stuff — I remember when everyone was doing white cabinets— I went with wooden raised panel oak cabinets. 

Building materials are expensive now since the hurricanes occurred. This is fueling demand of specific things like sheetrock & wood.

Make sure your electrical circuit breaker panel can accommodate your new kitchen. Building codes require a dedicated line for high power draining items such as microwaves & dishwashers. 

When we did our kitchen over, we opted for a wall exhaust fan that worked on a light switch instead of a pull chain. Think about task lighting — I opted for recessed lighting over my kitchen sink, dishwasher counter & range, but I told the electrician I wanted 2 switches because there are times I stand at the sink & times I stand at the range. We opted for the microwave to not go above the range but on a separate shelf. And finding an exhaust hood that has no fan in it made it easy to keep clean of grease. Keep the backsplash simple behind the range. It will be easier to keep clean.

We opted for using quartz composite (wider variety of colors than granite) & less maintenance required than granite. The prices are similar for both. 

We also decided to extend the wooden floor of our LR, DR & hallway into the kitchen. Linoleum is not used now & many are remodeling using wooden floors or wood laminate flooring. Tile is very hard on your feet. 

The most expensive item for a kitchen remodel will be the countertops (if using quartz or granite) followed by the cabinets. Look at the cabinet construction— are the drawers dovetailed together or glued or stapled? Are the doors real wood or veneers? Do you want slide out shelves on base cabinets or shelves that are mounted on your pantry door? Stainless steel sink with the required wire protector over it with rubber feet or a porcelain lined sink? Do you want a faucet with a liquid soap pump near it & a faucet that can switch to an optional spray faucet — great for bathing small pets or babies or just doing your hair or rinsing out your sink’s corners.

Good luck in what you plan to do. Research what you want, contact companies for catalogs (ask for specs. on cabinets) ask for actual samples of the materials too. (No paper color swatches!)

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Dar321

Just came across this post: Is your kitchen remodel done?  I hope all went well as remodeling can be "stressful" but worth it in then end!  

Honored Contributor

My sil had a budget for a kitchen remodel,  well it went well over that!

Honored Contributor

Repeat 50 times daily.......patience, patience, etc.

Super Contributor

No not yet.....sigh

Honored Contributor

We did this  18 years ago. We actually got a new roof, new kitchen, new deck, added a couple windows,& new carpet  all at the same time. We had remodeled a bathroom a few years before. The reason we did it all at once was my DH was going to be working out of town for 3 months and he is just miserable to put up with if anything is disturbing to him, so I thought it was a real opportunity to get it done while he wasn't there to constantly whine about it. I went on 3 months of working nights in order to be home during the day while the men worked there and I slept in the evening after they left. 

We had a kitchen designer do the plan for our kitchen and he very efficiently used every inch of space. We went to his showroom to choose floors , counters and cabinets, and a local appliance store to pick the appliances. Using him was such a smart move!

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

My sil had a budget for a kitchen remodel,  well it went well over that!

Wev told the kitchen designer our budget and that it was not flexible. He used every cent but did stay in the budget.