Honored Contributor

Re: I'm confused

[ Edited ]

@newname0,

Yes, but not until this new era replaced "my old times"!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Yes, I know someone who has done this. 

Respected Contributor

@newname0 wrote:

I went to see a new doctor I was assigned to with a hypenated name and I asked him why he hypenated his name and he told me it was his wife's name.  Now I can't figure out what he meant by that.  My son's wife hypenated her name but my son is still using his own given name.  Have you ever heard of the man taking the woman's name?

Yes, I've heard of it.

Incidentally, you mention your son using his own "given" name.  That would be his first name.  Are we discussing surnames or "given" names?

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

Latinos have been taking dual last names for quite some time. Where it gets really confusing is when a marriage happens and the wife changes her name to include his multiple last names...very confusing!!

Honored Contributor

I get the mutual respect thing, but I bet Joe Average is not taking his wife's maiden name on. It seems the wealthy, well educated, enlightened couples like that sort of thing.

Trusted Contributor

To Everybody

It stuck in my craw because of my two grandchildren who now have hypenated names and I wanted to ask the doctor why he chose using a hypenated name.  I don't think I was being personal.  After all he was concerned with my personal business.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMeeOh yes, a former girlfriend of my sons had two last names. I believe the Mom's maiden name was first and the Dad's surname was last. This darling girl was from Puerto Rico.

Respected Contributor

Yes. Sometimes they both take the woman's name, sometimes they hyphenate, sometimes they do something else. When Alexa Vega married Carlos Pena, they both change their last name to PenaVega, no hypen.

I think it's a great idea. It's either neither partner or the woman who usually has to have her legal documentation changed - ID, social, credit cards, etc. - and this shares that burden evenly. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

@newname0 Now I'm confused.  Are you confused about how to address the doctor or about why he chose to use both names?

Just call him Doctor. easy peasy.

I totally agree, this is just none of her business.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I'm another who doesn't think it was any of the OP's business to ask a medical provider why his name was hyPHenated. I mean, who cares?