Honored Contributor

Re: I'm confused by the news

Maggie, that makes sense now. Thank you
Respected Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

Situations like that are always confusing at first.  Always. 

Wait it out, and like MGM suggested, read for details online.  The Washington Post and LA Times are usually pretty good sources.

They are until they aren't.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/12/03/how-a-los-angeles-times-reporter-misled-the-internet-in-a...

Respected Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

What I have read on the "third" person:  yes, he was in the area and was running away from LE near the event. He apparently was running because he had an outstanding warrant, unrelated to this event. Police picked him up and jailed him based on the outstanding warrant, nothing to do with the shooting.

Thank you for an actual answer!  I had been reading and watching news and was confused also.  I had not heard this.

Honored Contributor

I believe the local police are deferring to the FBI as they should.  I heard the police chief say in one update the information often changes with new facts that come to light. 

Super Contributor

Would not surprise me if this disgruntled employee was recently radicalized or inspired by the recent Parisian attacks.  For his wife to agree to go along with it makes me wonder if she influenced him.  Whatever the case may be, the motivation was more important than their 6 month old baby they left behind.

I said in another thread that today someone can be prone to radicalization if they are angry at their employer, neighbor, the government, society, themselves.  Rather than end their own miserable life, the better choice in their fanatical mind is to become a jihadist. They have nothing to lose and with their extremist beliefs, they have everything to gain by being rewarded in the afterlife for their deeds.

Respected Contributor

it seems that every time that i put the news on there is something new or some information has changed since the last time i watched.  it is a very fluid, as they say, situation.

Honored Contributor

I usually figure that it takes about 3 days to investigate and begin to put together a picture of what happened and who is involved and don't take anything I hear before then as being absolutely correct. 

Investigators are supposed to investigate and get things right. The news is supposed to report on things as it happens. The two are at odds and the 24/7 news cycle doesn't help.

Unless I'm in a location where I am in immediate danger, I turn the news off and move onto other things while an event is taking place, give them time to sort things out, and then tune back in. I don't post about things as they happen if I can avoid it and don't share anything on Facebook or other sites until 2-3 days have passed so that I am not a part of passing on information that later turns out to be incorrect.

Esteemed Contributor

@justmyopinion wrote:

Would not surprise me if this disgruntled employee was recently radicalized or inspired by the recent Parisian attacks.  For his wife to agree to go along with it makes me wonder if she influenced him.  Whatever the case may be, the motivation was more important than their 6 month old baby they left behind.

I said in another thread that today someone can be prone to radicalization if they are angry at their employer, neighbor, the government, society, themselves.  Rather than end their own miserable life, the better choice in their fanatical mind is to become a jihadist. They have nothing to lose and with their extremist beliefs, they have everything to gain by being rewarded in the afterlife for their deeds.

I agree with your post and want to add that the shooter in Colorado was radicalized as well.  It can be religious or political. 

@justmyopinion

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@MmsfoxxieI so agree with you.  Except for the very few people who need info immediately so they can be safe from further nefarious actions, there's just no real reason officials need to spend time answering questions for so long even when the investigation has barely begun.

And all that quickly revealed information?  It's useless often once real investigation has gone on, but because we tend to believe what we first hear, we continue to believe that early info even once it has been proven wrong.

Respected Contributor

Once they have facts (rather than circumstantial evidence, which can be misleading), then I want to know. 

Constant updates tend to overpublicize these horrific slaughters of human beings and place the focus on the perpetrators. Don't even mention them:  that would be best.  So many mass killers have wanted to be in the media.  The Columbine hs killers, for two.