Regular Contributor

Re: I'm confused: USPS denied me the ability to purchase insurance.

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

If you think something 'fishy' is going on at your local branch contact your state's main USPS office.

I had a problem once a few years ago and called to inquire about something and I was surprised how seriously and promptly I was contacted by the head of our state's post office.  This guy was not screwing around he wanted full details, I had no doubt the situation would be resolved...... and it was !

@Abrowneyegirl

OP here.

Thank you so very much for sharing your experience.  I'm going to do exactly what you did.  Brava!

Regular Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

My P.O. will not give receipts for the prepaid label.

But after using the prepaid label once or twice and seeing how long it took to arrive back to Q and get my refund, I quit using the label anyway.

@KingstonsMom

OP here.

( You can buy a receipt!)

After much to-do at the counter regarding my inability to purchase insurance, I was just about ready to turn around and head out to my car, when the PO guy said, "You can buy a recipt."  I'm thinking 'BUY a recipt - you've GOT to be kiddng."  So I forked over the $1.35 for a receipt. 

However, based on advice from others here, I am going to pursue this issue with the P.O. heirarchy in Oregon.

Honored Contributor

If you use a pre-paid shipping label no other services can be purchased.  It's been that way for as long as I can remember (decades?).

I wouldn't worry about it being insured because QVC self-insures, so you're covered there.

You should have the tracking number that was on the pre-paid label so that is how you can keep track of progress.  Like others have said, though, this mode of shipment is about as slow as molasses in January so don't be in a hurry.  Smiley Happy  It's a bulk-type thing.  You can always pay to ship and then you have more choices.  Otherwise, you are subject to the terms of the pre-paid label.  HTH

Regular Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

Having found it necessary to return an item to QVC, which I don't do often at all, I took it to the Post Office for processing and was denied the ability to purchase insurance.  This was news to me. 

Since I have already experienced theft of two items by employees of the USPS, I was livid at this news.

Does anyone know when this policy was initiated?  Thanks for your help.

What was the reason given .....  and how were you sending the package?

@Tinkrbl44

OP here,

Bottom line:  I've learned a lot today reading all of the posts to my query.

One of the things learned was that the Q provides insurance on returned items.  I didn't know this and I've been shopping with them since 1989.  Somehow I missed tis.  HOWEVER, you DO need a receipt from the post office when giving them your item fr return.  The PO guy said that when they see this sticker, they can't sell insurance.

When I initially asked this USPS guy for a receipt early on in our conversation, he talked around me.  Our conversation was basically an argument, because I'd never had return issues in California - only since we moved to Oregon 2 years ago.

Toward the end of this "experience," I had to purchase some forever stamps.  As we concluded that purchase, my wallet went back into my purse and when I had just started to turn to leave, this PO guy said, "You can purchase a receipt for $1.35."  (This would verify to the Q that I initiated the return through the USPS on that date, should the item "not make it back to the Q.)

So...I returned the package in the original bag with te Q return sticker and a $1.35 purchased P.O. receipt. (Why in the devil he hadn't answered my question way earlier with this info is beyond comprehension.)

Regular Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

Having found it necessary to return an item to QVC, which I don't do often at all, I took it to the Post Office for processing and was denied the ability to purchase insurance.  This was news to me. 

Since I have already experienced theft of two items by employees of the USPS, I was livid at this news.

Does anyone know when this policy was initiated?  Thanks for your help.

I had the exact same thing happen to me once at my local, rural post office.  I had been using a different post office nearer to work normally.  I was stunned, when the lady said she couldn't sell me insurance.  When I asked why I was told.....that it was because I was returning a package to a company!!!

I pointed out that I was mailing a package at my own expense; it shouldn't matter to whom or why.  She would not budge, so I took the package back and went out of my way to go to my "normal" post office, where I mailed it without saying anything about what had happened at my local until after the package had been mailed.  I then told the lady there and she said it was total nonsense and offered to call my local and "explain" to the lady in charge there.  I declined that and instead reported it to the post office's 1-800 number.  I subsequently got an email from my "local" saying that she was "sorry" I wasn't happy with the service I'd gotten but that I was asking her to lie and circumvent the system!!!  Say what?????  I almost forwarded that back to the head of the postal system, but decided just to take my business elsewhere in the future.

I've also had one person tell me they couldn't give me a receipt for the prepaid labels - again, that's just a lie.  I always get a receipt although this lady insisted that I ask for "a prepaid label acceptance receipt"!  I said I didn't care what she called it - I just wanted proof of having handed over the package!  Without that, if the package goes missing, you have no evidence whatsoever.  (Photocopy the label with the tracking number before you hand it over, just in case.)

It seems to me in my area that they are hiring a lot of "casual" workers now who don't know the job (although the two instances I've just mentioned were full-time federal employees).  Like the one who said she couldn't sell me any stamps because they were locked in the "back room" and she didn't have the key!  This was on a Friday and the regular postmistress wouldn't be back till Monday!!!  Woman Frustrated

@Venezia

OP here.

GOOD GRIEF, CHARLIE BROWN!!!

We just moved 3 weeks ago and I can actually walk to our post office, which is where my fiasco took place.  Based on your experience, think I'll be looking for a new post office, post haste!

Thanks for sharing your horrible experiences.

Regular Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@only shops online wrote:

Did they say why you couldn't purchase insurance?  Just curious, because we have a very strange post office, near our home, and I think the people that work there are delusional.

Everytime I went in there, I used to get some strangely high price, and they never gave me any alternate shipping options.  Wouldn't even give me a receipt once.

On the rare occassion that I use the USPS, I now go to a different location.  It's a greater distance from my home, but they are always so helpful.  Always offer different shipping options.  And, give me receipts for items mailed with a pre-paid label, which the other location wouldn't do.

They are required by law to give you receipt for something you paid for.

@HappyDaze

OP here.

During my experience, asked for a receipt, but this guy talked around me, circumventing so many questions asked.  Fast forward to just prior to leaving: I placed my wallet into my purse after purchasing stamps, but still furious about the package return/insurance issue, and turned my body to leave, when this PO guy says that I can "purchase" a receipt relative to the package return for $1.35.  So I forked over the cash.  Why he didn't tell me this way earlier in our "conversation" is beyond me.  No  - I think this guy was being contrary on purpose.  (Contrary is a nice way of saying something a lot more crass.)

Regular Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

This is really strange- I've never been denied purchasing insurance except, of course, for a letter. My post office is always more than willing to take my money! Smiley Happy

@HappyDaze

OP here.

Guy at the PO told me that Q return label prevents them from selling insurance on the return package.  Today I learned on this thread that the Q insures all returns, but you need a receipt from the PO.  I had to pay $1.35 to get a receip and almost didn't get one. (story behind that)  Ridiculous.

(Never has these issues when we lived in CA.  Horrible issues regaring many things now that we live in OR.)

Honored Contributor

I am confused by your sentence "denied me the ability to purchase insurance".

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Regular Contributor

@AliJoi5 wrote:

Yes that IS strange.  From what I understand, you can insure a USPS parcel up to $5,000.  If you need more coverage, you would then have to buy an independent insurance policy.  Certain items are excluded/uninsurable, such as unusually fragile mailpieces, etc.  But I doubt that what you were returning to the Q exceeded $5,000 in value and/or was especially fragile, correct?  So then I cannot understand why they would deny you coverage.  That's crazy.  Sometimes I use the Q return label and other times I don't.  Naturally, insurance is included when you use the Q label.  But I always buy insurance when I'm returning a package using my own postage.  Check out the USPS's website... they have a section regarding insurance parameters.  I can feel your pain though... I've had my issues with the PO, but as HappyDaze said, never with them wanting to take my money! 

@AliJoi5

OP here.

After all was said and done, I learned that if I had NOT used the Q label and replaced it with a hand-made label of my own, I could have purchased insurance.

On the flip side of the coin, I learned here today that QVC insures all returns, but you need a receipt of the "return" from the P.O., which was like getting water out of a stone for me and actually cost me $1.35.

Respected Contributor

I loathe the post office anymore. Granted I don't ship much, but I'll pay more for UPS than to have to deal with them. 

We also have a wonderful mail carrier who has told me if I have packages to send back just to leave her a note and she'll get it. I mailed a return from our local post office once and the rum dummies delivered it back to my house, lol. My normal lady was on vacation and it floated around for about a week then showed up at my house. Ugh. I rarely have anything that has to be sent USPS.