Honored Contributor

Re: I'm confused: USPS denied me the ability to purchase insurance.

@HappyDaze wrote:

This is really strange- I've never been denied purchasing insurance except, of course, for a letter. My post office is always more than willing to take my money! Smiley Happy

You also can't insure a money order to mail to someone, even if you buy the money order from the P.O.

I thought that was strange.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

Yes that IS strange.  From what I understand, you can insure a USPS parcel up to $5,000.  If you need more coverage, you would then have to buy an independent insurance policy.  Certain items are excluded/uninsurable, such as unusually fragile mailpieces, etc.  But I doubt that what you were returning to the Q exceeded $5,000 in value and/or was especially fragile, correct?  So then I cannot understand why they would deny you coverage.  That's crazy.  Sometimes I use the Q return label and other times I don't.  Naturally, insurance is included when you use the Q label.  But I always buy insurance when I'm returning a package using my own postage.  Check out the USPS's website... they have a section regarding insurance parameters.  I can feel your pain though... I've had my issues with the PO, but as HappyDaze said, never with them wanting to take my money! 

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

This is really strange- I've never been denied purchasing insurance except, of course, for a letter. My post office is always more than willing to take my money! Smiley Happy

You also can't insure a money order to mail to someone, even if you buy the money order from the P.O.

Yes but I believe you can send it certified mail and at least you would have proof of delivery and a way for the post office to try to track it down if it gets lost.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

Yes but I believe you can send it certified mail and at least you would have proof of delivery and a way for the post office to try to track it down if it gets lost.

@HappyDaze

Thanks so much for that info!

The P.O. didn't even offer that as an alternative when I wanted to send a money order for a friend's daughter's b'day!

Now I know! Thanks again @HappyDaze!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

The Post Office will not let you purchase insurance if you use the Q return label. It's beyond me why they will not do this. They won't even give you a receipt showing you dropped it off at the post office. I had a return that was received by Q but I had to call to get my credit issued because they showed they never received it. I had my USPS tracking # that showed they did receive it. Anyways during my conversation with a Q supervisor she told me that the Q return labels do have insurance included. She also said if you want to take your pkg to USPS & use the Return Your Way Label on your Q receipt you can sometimes get a better rate. You should be able to purchase ins with that label but I'm not sure. I did not think the Q labels were insured. I always pay to ship any return over $100 with USPS or UPS so I can insure it. With that said with the cost of shipping I try to only buy things I know I'm going to keep. There is always something some time or another that will need to be returned.

Honored Contributor

The USPS also has the reight to refuse to insure a package that they feel is not adequately wrapped, or maybe it is that thing about hazardous materials inside. . . from the long government sanctioned list. 

Regular Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

On the rare occassion that I use the USPS, I now go to a different location.  It's a greater distance from my home, but they are always so helpful.  Always offer different shipping options.  And, give me receipts for items mailed with a pre-paid label, which the other location wouldn't do.

@onlyshopsonline   I've been told by clerks at two different locations that they are no longer supposed to give you a receipt for a package with a pre-paid label.  Instead, they scan it as soon as you give it to them.

Mine told me to ALWAYS come to the counter for a receipt so I will have proof that it was mailed. I do that on a pkg of some value.

@MaggieMack

OP here.  I was just about ready to walk out, when I asked the guy behind the counter, "Don't I even get a receipt?"  He told me I had to pay $1.35 for it!  So, I paid the buck 35.

(We moved to Oregon 2 years ago.  Never had this run-around with the USPS in CA.)

Regular Contributor

@only shops online wrote:

Did they say why you couldn't purchase insurance?  Just curious, because we have a very strange post office, near our home, and I think the people that work there are delusional.

Everytime I went in there, I used to get some strangely high price, and they never gave me any alternate shipping options.  Wouldn't even give me a receipt once.

On the rare occassion that I use the USPS, I now go to a different location.  It's a greater distance from my home, but they are always so helpful.  Always offer different shipping options.  And, give me receipts for items mailed with a pre-paid label, which the other location wouldn't do.

@onlyshopsonline

I found out later that any package/box with a sticker on it, like the ones QVC provides on the back of our receipt, is uninsurable.  So, if I had hand written the Q's return address on a small piece of paper and taped it to the package, I could have purchased insurance.

Esteemed Contributor

If you are using the Q prepaid label it is my understanding that insurance is included.  However a few months ago I sent back a package with my own handwritten label and paying for the mailing cost and I wanted to purchase additional insurance and the post office said I could not get  any additional insurance even though I was paying for the cost of mailing the package myself.  I called QVC and they said they knew of no reason why I could not purchase insurance.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

The Post Office will not let you purchase insurance if you use the Q return label. It's beyond me why they will not do this. They won't even give you a receipt showing you dropped it off at the post office. I had a return that was received by Q but I had to call to get my credit issued because they showed they never received it. I had my USPS tracking # that showed they did receive it. Anyways during my conversation with a Q supervisor she told me that the Q return labels do have insurance included. She also said if you want to take your pkg to USPS & use the Return Your Way Label on your Q receipt you can sometimes get a better rate. You should be able to purchase ins with that label but I'm not sure. I did not think the Q labels were insured. I always pay to ship any return over $100 with USPS or UPS so I can insure it. With that said with the cost of shipping I try to only buy things I know I'm going to keep. There is always something some time or another that will need to be returned.

@Nightowlz

My P.O. won't give a receipt when using Q's pre-paid label either, but the Q pre-paid label DOES include insurance for the cost of the item.

Maybe that's why you can't 'double' insure the package.