Honored Contributor

Re: I'm confused: USPS denied me the ability to purchase insurance.

OP .... thanks for taking the time to start this thread .... I learned some valuable tips here today.     

Honored Contributor

@sfnative

In the rare times I've used the QVC return label, my post office has scanned the label and then handed me N/C a receipt!! Proof of mailing is a fee to PO; but this scanned label should generate a receipt and at no charge to you!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

The Post Office will not let you purchase insurance if you use the Q return label. It's beyond me why they will not do this. They won't even give you a receipt showing you dropped it off at the post office. I had a return that was received by Q but I had to call to get my credit issued because they showed they never received it. I had my USPS tracking # that showed they did receive it. Anyways during my conversation with a Q supervisor she told me that the Q return labels do have insurance included. She also said if you want to take your pkg to USPS & use the Return Your Way Label on your Q receipt you can sometimes get a better rate. You should be able to purchase ins with that label but I'm not sure. I did not think the Q labels were insured. I always pay to ship any return over $100 with USPS or UPS so I can insure it. With that said with the cost of shipping I try to only buy things I know I'm going to keep. There is always something some time or another that will need to be returned.

@Nightowlz

My P.O. won't give a receipt when using Q's pre-paid label either, but the Q pre-paid label DOES include insurance for the cost of the item.

Maybe that's why you can't 'double' insure the package.

@KingstonsMom

@Nightowlz

OP here.

You can purchase a USPS Certificate of Mailing for $1.35, as I had to do with my package at issue.  Ask for the following form:

PS Form 3817, April 2007 PSN 7530-02-000-9065

Good Luck!

If you are using the Q's prepaid label, do not pay for a Certificate of Mailing!  There is absolutely no need.  They are obligated to give you a receipt when you hand over the package and it is scanned in.  I have one right now and it says at the top the name of the post office, then "Sales Receipt" and underneath"Pre-Paid Mailpiece Acceptance".

It gives a description of the item:  the weight, the acceptance date and time and the label # (which is the label tracking number).  It also gives the Bill # and the Clerk's number.  (Maybe that's why some of these clerks don't want to give you a receipt - because you'd know who accepted it!)

If you are told you cannot have a receipt or have to pay an additional fee, REPORT IT!  Get the name of the clerk and REPORT IT! 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

OP .... thanks for taking the time to start this thread .... I learned some valuable tips here today.     

@Tinkrbl44

OP here,

I learned a lot, too.  So glad I asked the question.

Regular Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@sfnative

In the rare times I've used the QVC return label, my post office has scanned the label and then handed me N/C a receipt!! Proof of mailing is a fee to PO; but this scanned label should generate a receipt and at no charge to you!

@JustJazzmom

OP here,

Unfortunately, that's not the way my post office operates.  In the end, I had to pay $1.35 for a Certificate of Mailing.  He did scan the package, but that scan did not result in a receipt.  Things at the PO are very different here in Oregon vice California.  (Been here 2 years.)

Regular Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

The Post Office will not let you purchase insurance if you use the Q return label. It's beyond me why they will not do this. They won't even give you a receipt showing you dropped it off at the post office. I had a return that was received by Q but I had to call to get my credit issued because they showed they never received it. I had my USPS tracking # that showed they did receive it. Anyways during my conversation with a Q supervisor she told me that the Q return labels do have insurance included. She also said if you want to take your pkg to USPS & use the Return Your Way Label on your Q receipt you can sometimes get a better rate. You should be able to purchase ins with that label but I'm not sure. I did not think the Q labels were insured. I always pay to ship any return over $100 with USPS or UPS so I can insure it. With that said with the cost of shipping I try to only buy things I know I'm going to keep. There is always something some time or another that will need to be returned.

@Nightowlz

My P.O. won't give a receipt when using Q's pre-paid label either, but the Q pre-paid label DOES include insurance for the cost of the item.

Maybe that's why you can't 'double' insure the package.

@KingstonsMom

@Nightowlz

OP here.

You can purchase a USPS Certificate of Mailing for $1.35, as I had to do with my package at issue.  Ask for the following form:

PS Form 3817, April 2007 PSN 7530-02-000-9065

Good Luck!

If you are using the Q's prepaid label, do not pay for a Certificate of Mailing!  There is absolutely no need.  They are obligated to give you a receipt when you hand over the package and it is scanned in.  I have one right now and it says at the top the name of the post office, then "Sales Receipt" and underneath"Pre-Paid Mailpiece Acceptance".

It gives a description of the item:  the weight, the acceptance date and time and the label # (which is the label tracking number).  It also gives the Bill # and the Clerk's number.  (Maybe that's why some of these clerks don't want to give you a receipt - because you'd know who accepted it!)

If you are told you cannot have a receipt or have to pay an additional fee, REPORT IT!  Get the name of the clerk and REPORT IT! 

@Venezia

OP here,

I did ask for a receipt after he scanned and he talked around my request, never answering my question.  Later on in my argument I came back to it, after I told him that a ring I returned had been stolen in transit, so I needed a receipt.  He skirted it again and manipulated the conversation......As I was about to depart, thoroughly disgusted and wondering what it takes to get anything done in this idiot city, that's when he said I could pay the 1.35 for a certificate of mailing.

Thank you for the comments made above.  I plan to pursue this and think I'll take this beyond my local substation.

Honored Contributor

If I have a high-priced item that I'm returning, I don't use the prepaid label.

I pay the postage and insure the item.

No worries that way.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

On the rare occassion that I use the USPS, I now go to a different location.  It's a greater distance from my home, but they are always so helpful.  Always offer different shipping options.  And, give me receipts for items mailed with a pre-paid label, which the other location wouldn't do.

@onlyshopsonline   I've been told by clerks at two different locations that they are no longer supposed to give you a receipt for a package with a pre-paid label.  Instead, they scan it as soon as you give it to them.

I always get receipts without even asking.  They tell me to wait a second, they print something up, and hand it to me.  Every single time, at both post offices that I usually go to.  (And they do this whether they're busy at the time or not.)   Every once in awhile, they ask if I want a receipt, but usually they just give one to me without even asking.

Trusted Contributor

In our town in S Florida, we have one main post office run by the USPS, and several satellite offices that are agents of the USPS, but actually privately run. I've had to go to the main post office to be able to get special services such as insurance or registered mail. Perhaps that could be the reason you were denied. In their constant quest to become more cost efficient, the USPS is privatizing many of their locations, and reducing services at those locations that aren't routinely used. Just finding a drop box is getting ridiculously difficult! 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi sfnative,

I use 3 different post offices, all 3 give me the receipt that says prepaid mail piece acceptance with all the pertinent info.  When it's my turn at the counter I just say I need a receipt for this please, they scan it and my receipt prints out in a matter of seconds.  As many have said the prepaid labels come with insurance and you can't buy additional, like you can't have two insurance policies on your car or home.  It is unfortunate the California post offices took your money to double insure the packages and didn't inform you.  Seems like maybe this time you ran into a worker that didn't  understand what you wanted or just wanted to mess with you.

libby's folly