Esteemed Contributor

Re: I’m back for your great advice again

@Laura14 ...You received some very good advice.  Stay where you are while looking, if something looks good check it out.  I'm sending good thoughts and vibes your way and wishing you the best of luck.  Stay strong.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14, I have not quit a long term job like you asked.

I want to wish you luck and tell you you seem incredibly smart to me, you are always well spoken (or written), you obviously have an awesome work ethic, and many of us have long enjoyed your sense of humor.

I think you are going to be fine whatever road you take.

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this, and I wish you all the best!

Honored Contributor

I was laid off, went back to school full time, and I’m now a registered nurse in my early 50s. Home right now because I just had knee arthroscopy (long overdue and I have good insurance now).

Yes, you can make a change at any age. Don’t quit your job without an idea of where you are headed. Keep it as long as you can while figuring out your future. But life is too short to stay in a job or living situation you no longer enjoy and that has been clear from your posts for some time now. Do you want to have this same unhappiness 10 years from now?
Honored Contributor

To clarify, quitting has everything to do with me being miserable for the past several years in a job that has completely eroded my self worth.  

And the fact that the new owners lied to us is a potential prelude to how they'll treat me and the customers I serve.  They represented that they would be different having worked for the current owners and disliking them as much as we do.  This is a really bad first impression.

Having a good friend work there gave me some crucial support of at least one person having my back in a chaotic and abusive work environment.  And the fact that he's been a point person for these new guys who are about to fire him after all this is despicable. He's not even supposed to know it yet.   

I am very tired of knocking myself out for people who could care less about my efforts towards their bottom line.  My quitting is to head off a coming nervous breakdown of my own accord.  I'm not a hissy fit type of girl who plays havoc with my own practical needs to support a friend.  

I guess I'm trying to work in a business world that doesn't exist anymore.  Companies used to care about their customers and the employees who served them.  It made for good things like profits and loyalty.

Thank you all very much for your advice.Heart  I have a lot to think about.  

Esteemed Contributor

In previous post, you spoke about studying to becaome a pharmacy tech (is that correct?).  Have you obtained your license/certification for that position?  You have that to fall back on.

You also have spoke about moving to another town or state.  Is that still in the works?

As other posters have mentioned, I wouldn't quit until I had something firm lined up.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you still have your job, do not quit! Give it some time and see what happens. I survived through 3 bank mergers in the 80s and 90s. After 22 years with that bank, my job was finally "eliminated" in 2003 - I was 52 at the time. If your job is eliminated or you are let go, then (and only then) it is over and you move on. In the meantime, put out feelers, but my advice is to not leave until you are either forced out or have found a new job. If your job is eliminated or you're let go, you can apply for state benefits (whether you need them or not). I also went through a divorce during the turmoil of losing my job....not a good time for me, but I survived the divorce and I found a great new job with a different bank. Surviving a really tough time requires that you believe in yourself and put yourself in "I will survive" mode. Best of luck to you.

Respected Contributor

I am not going to speak to the employment component because others have offered great advice.

However, I will speak to your mental health and peace of mind.

If you are emotionally unhappy and consider yourself unlikeable because of a JOB, you have invested too much of yourself into a situation which does not pay out the appropriate dividends.

A job is NOT your life, although many folks define themselves by their careers.  If we live to 100, we can potentially have a few different careers if we really want them. 

A workplace never offers the same level of emotional support as friends and family, nor should we expect it to.

The goal of the workplace is to be successful by making money--not by making its workers content. Take the perspective of the boss -- owners have to take whatever steps necessary to keep the company from sinking.

Moving on or changing jobs does not mean the situation will be any emotionally better or any less precarious.

Steadying yourself has to be an internal process--learn relaxation techniques, exercise fiercely, make an attitude adjustment about what is most important, explore your world and opportunities, make new friends, travel, take up some hew hobbies or classes, and decide what truly makes you happy.

Above all, value and care deeply for yourself and always make that your priority. 

Best wishes for a successful future--wherever and however you earn money!

Honored Contributor

The only time I quit was to retire. My advice is to keep working and wait it out. Not that you can't investigate other options while you keep working - just stay with place A until you know job B will hire you.

Esteemed Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper  well stated! i am glad those points were made as i was thinking the very same thing....

Honored Contributor

My husband came out of the military and became one of many coal miners contributing to the all time high production of West Virginia coal.   His mine was working 24/7 and couldn’t keep up with the orders for high quality bituminous coal.   Then the recession hit in the early 80’s, and every job my husband moved to was affected by the loss of coal.   

We dealt with layoff after layoff from 1986 - 2003, but always took a leap of faith with trying to move away from businesses connected to coal.   My husband was hesitant to leave what he knew best, but I continued to encourage that first step into the unknown.   It wasn’t an easy transition at times, but we made it work, and always came out in a better place than we started.  

I am a firm believer in taking a leap of faith and moving on, rather than staying in a situation that is less than satisfying.   Have faith in yourself and just do it!