Super Contributor

Re: I’m an old woman and tired…

I am so with you on the clothing, jewelry, makeup, etc. I actually have so much I haven;t worn or used and I am wondering if we will. I keep hoping but......
Honored Contributor

All of the anger and hatred I see on some TV shows has made me choose carefully what I watch. Covid has definitely changed the way we live, especially with all of the misinformation. When I am out it seems people aren't very nice, I'm sure some are stressed. I don't see the situation in our world improving anytime soon either. It doesn't help that people don't want to work anymore. The soaring prices are making it very difficult for many seniors and others.

Esteemed Contributor

With husband's Alzheimer's, 99 year old mother's countless health problems, and my dog's terminal cancer, I definitely feel tired. It's not really physical fatigue, but rather an emotional grieving. After a day of my mother's 6 phone calls, my husband's increasing dementia symptoms, and my dog's prognosis, I no longer feel that staying home because of Covid is a big problem. I do miss traveling and seeing friends and family but I've learned to accept the way life is these days. 

Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

With husband's Alzheimer's, 99 year old mother's countless health problems, and my dog's terminal cancer, I definitely feel tired. It's not really physical fatigue, but rather an emotional grieving. After a day of my mother's 6 phone calls, my husband's increasing dementia symptoms, and my dog's prognosis, I no longer feel that staying home because of Covid is a big problem. I do miss traveling and seeing friends and family but I've learned to accept the way life is these days. 

@Vivian, judging from your posting history here, you are one amazing person!

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Good grief - just the thought of calling myself an "old woman" is such a turn off to me. I'm 73 and under no circumstances will I ever say that! Have things changed in my life? Sure they have, but I still have things to do and be responsible for. My mother used to say that adding another candle to the birthday cake is better than the alternative...she was right. If you think you're old in your 70s, then you'll act like you're old. I choose not to do that.

Trusted Contributor

@jannabelle1  I understand what you're saying! My sister is 10 years older than me and acts like she's really old. Always talkking about how she can't do certain things anymore, she's old, now that she's older, blah blah blah. Acts old, talks old, thinks old. No way am I going to be like that!!!! It's just not my personality. Now, are there days I feel old and tired? Sure, but those moments are just moments.

Regular Contributor

At 66 I have days where I feel old and defeated but I'd have to say I really hate that feeling so I'm generally challenged to rise up and say to myself, I'm not giving in to it... NOPE, NOT TODAY!  I've got 3.5 acres to mow and keep up and it can be overwhelming especially when it's hot & humid, or the leaves need raking in the fall or shoveling in the winter but when my kids tell me I can't keep doing this forever it makes me dig in even more just to prove them wrong!! Smiley Happy   I'm actually grateful I'm physically able to do it myself.  I know people my age who aren't so fortunate.

Trusted Contributor

jannabelle1:

Good grief: ever lose a  human child? Have a fur baby that you love with cancer and needs surgery...again?

Trusted Contributor

When I was in my 60s, I didn't think of myself as old.  I have NEVER let a birthday "bother" me, but when I turned 70 things changed.  I thought of myself as getting old and I was on the "downhill" slide of my life.  My marriage of 43 years ended.   I used to feel like I was contributing but don't get that feeling now.  

I have many medical issues which affect my everyday functioning and makes life difficult.  I have to use a walker.  My physical problems are progressive and my balance is getting worse and I just hope I am not forced into using a wheelchair. 

I moved to this area six years ago so am not familiar with things to do in this area.  I am told by friends/relatives that they went to this place or that place.  I don't think they realize how hurt I feel that I was not asked to go with them but understand that they don't know if things will be accessible for me.

I lost my 18 year old cat about six weeks ago, so I do not even have her to talk to and she provided some routine to my day and now that is gone.

@Malcontent, I feel for you and completely understand.  I, too, am tired-----tired of being tired, tired of being at home so much of the time, tired, tired, tired, tired.  I think there has to be more to life than this, but medical problems and physical challenges place many constraints on my daily life.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Trusted Contributor

wismiss:

I think until folks reach our age they will never understand.