Esteemed Contributor

Re: I'm a sad Nana today....

@Cakers3 wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

If you read the long threads when someone here suffers a tragedy, you will see there is a lot of empathy on these boards.

I can't get too worked up about a teenager posing in a birthday mask for a picture.  

Sure, it's disappointing. But Nana is going to have plenty of causes for deep grief in this life.  People here are struggling against cancer, have just lost a parent, spouse, child or beloved pet.  

Our family buried another beloved cousin last week.

@alicedee   Nobobdy was asked to get worked up over this.  The OP simply posted how this pandemic was affecting her GD's birthday..

We know people have cancer, we know death has happened, we know all about illnesses and hurt and pain.  I am 100% positive that the OP also knows all of this.

Her hurt is valid for her and her alone; to diminish it by saying others have it so much worse is unkind.

We can be sad for our loved ones and we can be sad for those having a different type of struggle.

We also do not know where all posters are in their lives; and I'm not 100% sure but I am 99% sure that one can have empathy for others and still feel sad for a beloved GD.

When we assign severity and a grade as to who has it worse, we have lost the ability to be open-minded and empathetic. 

If the poster had ever denigrated another poster's loss, that would be one thing.  She never did.

I am truly sorry for your losses; but you also have no idea what I go through with some of my loved ones, either.  Pre-Covid and continuing.

So instead of mocking and trying to top another person's story, why not just either not respond or at least give an "I understand".

After all, she loves her GD, the birthday IS important, and we all get it-life has no guarantees and the lessons are lifelong, not just on a birthday.

How important is it to lecture the OP about the trials of life?  I'm sure she knows, as we all do.

Again, I'm sorry for your pain and hurt; yet that is yours and yours alone.  We can empathize with you and we can empathize with the OP.

This constant "someone else's situation is worse than yours" is tiring.

And a turn-off as we can see the diminishing number of posters around here.

thank you for your kind post...i appreciate it...can you tell me how to delete my original post...i don't want to receive any more negative, snarky posts...

Respected Contributor

I would empathize with my GD.  Then I would advise her to feel her power--find out why this is happening and do her bit to stop it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nana59   You would have to ask a mod if you want the thread removed completely.

You could delete your original post by going into "edit" but you've been quoted.

Honestly I'm so sorry you were smashed over this; there was no need.

I am a grandmother, too-and I get it.

Personally?  I'd leave it as is.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@nana59, leave your thread up. It serves as an excellent example of how we should be able to empathize and advise at the same time. Heart

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@nana59   You would have to ask a mod if you want the thread removed completely.

You could delete your original post by going into "edit" but you've been quoted.

Honestly I'm so sorry you were smashed over this; there was no need.

I am a grandmother, too-and I get it.

Personally?  I'd leave it as is.

thank you...

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@nana59, leave your thread up. It serves as an excellent example of how we should be able to empathize and advise at the same time. Heart

thank you....

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 Mocking and trying to top another's story".....now there is some empathy.  

I mentioned my cousin only to point out why some...including myself..,,may find the rather over-the-top "sad Nana" story rather dramatic.

We all have our opinions, don't we.

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

@Cakers3 Mocking and trying to top another's story".....now there is some empathy.  

I mentioned my cousin only to point out why some...including myself..,,may find the rather over-the-top "sad Nana" story rather dramatic.

We all have our opinions, don't we.

@alicedee 

Thank you for pointing out what some have obviously missed.   

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 

I wasn't "knocking her down", just pointing out that this event is NOT about her, and, oh gee,  what a poor sad nana she is ....  whining doesn't help anyone.   It seemed a little peculiar to be wanting attention over someone else's disappointment.  

She posted the thread and should realize that not everyone will agree with her.  So what?  That's the way message boards are.   If you've read all the posts, I wasn't the only one who saw it that way. 

Esteemed Contributor

i appreciate all the kind responses i have received....but i would like for this post to end....i'm waiting for the social team to remove it..