Honored Contributor

Re: I'm a sad Nana today....

@Porcelain 

Sorry, but it seems as though she's making it all about her with the whining about what a poor "sad nana" she is.   GMAB.     We don't know what she's "probably" already done.   I read her first post twice and then gave my thoughts, just like everyone else.    

Honored Contributor

@nana59 

We are are all there with you.  There are so very many sad stories from familie's that haven't gotten to see their family's first college graduate get their diploma, all the way down.

Hold onto your dear ones and remember the smiles to come!  You can make a special day for her in the future with a trip or a keepsake piece of jewelry.

Honored Contributor

@nana59 

Happy Birthday to your Granddaughter.   🎂 🎈 🎁 

Wishing Her many more enjoyable ones.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also am confused as to why the granddaughter is wearing a mask if she is in her bedroom on the computer...?

No sense in getting overly dramatic about a birthday spent at home, OP.  I am sure most of us have had big events that were impacted.....in my own family the virus changed my grandson's high school graduation, a granddaughter's upcoming wedding, and a niece's wedding.  

Rather than getting more than regretful about the circumstances, better to show them that yes, disappointments happen... but it's not the end of the world and life can still go happily on if you make the best of things.  

It is temporary.

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm a sad Nana todnt ay....

@nana59 wrote:

today is my oldest grandchild's 18th birthday....her school is shut down....she was so excited about starting her Senior year at school.....today she is in her bedroom....in front of her computer....wearing a mask that says 'today is my birthday.'  i was so hoping that things would have been different for her this month.....just feeling sad....thanks for letting me vent....i know i should be grateful that my family members are safe and healthy...i guess being sad is just part of being a Nana....

What a beautiful post, many of us here can feel your sadness and disappointment. These young people can not go back and relive these times that should have brought them so much joy. I have never sent so many thinking of you cards in all my life. I struggle to make the best of these times, but like you am grateful fo so much. 

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm a sad Nana todnt ay....

Yes, it's a sad time. I suppose we need to focus on what is positive. Luckily, I still feel blessed. Tell the young adult your friends say Happy Birthday!

Honored Contributor

As others have said, it's probably a good thing to radiate positivity toward our teens, children, etc.

Children will pick up on various adults' feelings.  Being positive will do them much better than being negative and sad.

Let's all be grateful that we are still here on earth.  That's a good thing. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Edited:  Not meant to be disrespectful to O/P or others:

p.s.  Just talking from my young childhood, maybe beginning around six or seven yrs old.  I had very positive parents and a godmother (and also two positive teachers) who balanced out a very negative relative (inlaw).

Thank goodness that the positivity outweighed the negativity.

So many people I've known who had 'poor this' and 'poor that' thrown at them from a parent (or close relative, etc.) ended up having life-long psychological problems.  

Just thought I'd throw that into the mix.

It's just better, imo, to throw in positive 'vibes'. 

Therefore, the balance.

The key to almost everything is 'balance'. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I'm not a grandmother but I'm sure I'd feel bad if my grandchild was sad.  Nothing wrong with acknowledging this sadness and listening to grandkids express their disappointments.

I do agree though, that trying to find a positive in the negative stuff that's going on right now is a better way of coping with challenges. It allows us to hold onto that needed belief that a better day is coming. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

today is my oldest grandchild's 18th birthday....her school is shut down....she was so excited about starting her Senior year at school.....today she is in her bedroom....in front of her computer....wearing a mask that says 'today is my birthday.'  i was so hoping that things would have been different for her this month.....just feeling sad....thanks for letting me vent....i know i should be grateful that my family members are safe and healthy...i guess being sad is just part of being a Nana....

@nana59 

What ???   

I had to read your comments twice to make sure I understood your actual complaint.   First, you are more than just a "nana".   I don't know if you're nearby and will see her today,  or soon, but keep in mind that no one has a full life of "perfect" birthdays.    At times like this, a  sense of humor helps.

Secondly, Instead of venting on an anonymous message board about how sad YOU are today, it might be helpful if you could be more of an inspiration to her.   It's really not about you.  

For any number of reasons, we've all had crappy birthdays .... and this is her first, but definitely not her last.  It certainly doesn't mean she won't have a good, satisfying life, but she needs to learn to take this in stride.  Too bad you can't help her come to terms with that.  Too busy being sad, I guess.  

(JMO, folks.)   

thank you very much for your snarkiness....especially the comment about this not being my granddaughter's last crappy birthday....i truly appreciate it........