Esteemed Contributor

Re: I'm a sad Nana today....

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal wrote:

Turn it around....consider  her a pioneer and see if she wants to start journaling her life, from this birthday on.  She can start her life story here.  Turn it around and show her a way to make this work in her favor.  Winner vs. loser.  Just a thought!!

she started journaling when this all started.....thank you for your kind thought....

Super Contributor

Yes, I can relate to how you feel....my granddaughter had her senior year of high school spoiled last school year...her school closed in March...that was the end of the fun part of being a senior....no prom...no graduation 👩‍🎓...

this school year my grandson is beginning his senior year of high school...all on line....

very sad for these young people....but I'm certainly grateful my love ones are well....they are young and more flexible with change...in the end it will probably all work out.

..I'm an Optimist.......

Esteemed Contributor

@nana59 So sorry for the predicament we're all in.  I know their birthdays' are so special to them at that age.   The best we can do for our children and grandchildren is be as positive as we can.   When my grown kids show worry, I try to show strength........we will get through this and I think we'll be better people because of it.  JMO

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LuvmyLab wrote:

@nana59  I am so sorry that you cannot spend your granddaughter's 18th birthday with her.  We are living in sad times: deaths from covid, not being able to attend things such as weddings, funerals, parties, etc.  I never thought I would live through something like this in my lifetime.  My mother passed away 3 weeks ago. She did not want a funeral, which we would not have been able to have anyway. Keep communicating with your family, that is important, either by phone or zoom if you can. I'd say try to keep your spirits up but that probably doesn't help. I have been furloughed from my job going on 7 months now so I know how you feel about not being able to do the things you normally do.  

@LuvmyLab- Please accept my condolences on the loss of your dear mother. How terribly sad not to be able to be with her and your family at this time.

@nana59- I'm sorry about your granddaughter's birthday celebration, but I truly wish that it's the worst thing that ever happens to her in her life. I know it seems terribly important to her now, but one day she will look back and be grateful that her nana loved her so much. My granddaughter's college graduation was supposed to take place in a large concert venue in May, but instead, there was nothing. She was home alone, as my daughter and son-in-law were both in the hospital recovering from covid and couldn't be home with her. She was also recovering from covid. Yes it was awful but she got over and will celebrate all our happy occasions when this nightmare ends.

Happy Birthday to your granddaughter!!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@nana59  I felt the same as you when it was my great grandchildren's birthdays. But I really felt sad not being at my 13 year old granddaughter's birthday in June. 
 The other kids were there at my son's and she had packages and $ from me. But I couldn't see her. I missed it! I've only seen her twice in six months and briefly and she's in town. She texts me.
  She's missed dancing which is huge for her and Camp this summer. Her school isn't starting. She's on the computer again. But she doesn't seem to let it bother her. 

I feel sorry for your granddaughter in her Senior year and everyone during this pandemic. And I'm sorry we can't be there to try to make it better!

👩‍💻  👩🏻‍🏫  🧑🏻‍🎓

Esteemed Contributor

@LuvmyLab   I'm sorry your mother passed and you've been furloughed! Things are so much harder for us during this pandemic. Take care! 

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

today is my oldest grandchild's 18th birthday....her school is shut down....she was so excited about starting her Senior year at school.....today she is in her bedroom....in front of her computer....wearing a mask that says 'today is my birthday.'  i was so hoping that things would have been different for her this month.....just feeling sad....thanks for letting me vent....i know i should be grateful that my family members are safe and healthy...i guess being sad is just part of being a Nana....

@nana59 

What ???   

I had to read your comments twice to make sure I understood your actual complaint.   First, you are more than just a "nana".   I don't know if you're nearby and will see her today,  or soon, but keep in mind that no one has a full life of "perfect" birthdays.    At times like this, a  sense of humor helps.

Secondly, Instead of venting on an anonymous message board about how sad YOU are today, it might be helpful if you could be more of an inspiration to her.   It's really not about you.  

For any number of reasons, we've all had crappy birthdays .... and this is her first, but definitely not her last.  It certainly doesn't mean she won't have a good, satisfying life, but she needs to learn to take this in stride.  Too bad you can't help her come to terms with that.  Too busy being sad, I guess.  

(JMO, folks.)   

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

today is my oldest grandchild's 18th birthday....her school is shut down....she was so excited about starting her Senior year at school.....today she is in her bedroom....in front of her computer....wearing a mask that says 'today is my birthday.'  i was so hoping that things would have been different for her this month.....just feeling sad....thanks for letting me vent....i know i should be grateful that my family members are safe and healthy...i guess being sad is just part of being a Nana....

@nana59 

What ???   

I had to read your comments twice to make sure I understood your actual complaint.   First, you are more than just a "nana".   I don't know if you're nearby and will see her today,  or soon, but keep in mind that no one has a full life of "perfect" birthdays.    At times like this, a  sense of humor helps.

Secondly, Instead of venting on an anonymous message board about how sad YOU are today, it might be helpful if you could be more of an inspiration to her.   It's really not about you.  

For any number of reasons, we've all had crappy birthdays .... and this is her first, but definitely not her last.  It certainly doesn't mean she won't have a good, satisfying life, but she needs to learn to take this in stride.  Too bad you can't help her come to terms with that.  Too busy being sad, I guess.  

(JMO, folks.)   

That's not very nice. She is probably doing everything you recommend already. She was just venting to us, her peers, about the side she maybe can't show her granddaughter.

I do agree that cruddy birthdays and other occasions don't have to be related to Covid at all. Life is amazing, but it is not a giant sunshine and rainbow fest 24/7, even in good times, that's for sure.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Why does she have to wear a mask in her bedroom?

Honored Contributor

I just call this "the lost year."  Everything we were planning for this year can be done next year.