Esteemed Contributor

today is my oldest grandchild's 18th birthday....her school is shut down....she was so excited about starting her Senior year at school.....today she is in her bedroom....in front of her computer....wearing a mask that says 'today is my birthday.'  i was so hoping that things would have been different for her this month.....just feeling sad....thanks for letting me vent....i know i should be grateful that my family members are safe and healthy...i guess being sad is just part of being a Nana....

Trusted Contributor

Re: I'm a sad Nana today....

It is definately a strange time for everyone to be sure.  I am sorry she is going through this.  I am sorry the world is going through this.

Trusted Contributor

@nana59  I am so sorry that you cannot spend your granddaughter's 18th birthday with her.  We are living in sad times: deaths from covid, not being able to attend things such as weddings, funerals, parties, etc.  I never thought I would live through something like this in my lifetime.  My mother passed away 3 weeks ago. She did not want a funeral, which we would not have been able to have anyway. Keep communicating with your family, that is important, either by phone or zoom if you can. I'd say try to keep your spirits up but that probably doesn't help. I have been furloughed from my job going on 7 months now so I know how you feel about not being able to do the things you normally do.  

Valued Contributor

Yes, it is a shame that everyone's life has changed.   No one is exempt, neither kids nor adults.

Respected Contributor

@nana59   Vent away.  I understand.  Imagine, though, if there was no internet.  And there are children around the country that do not have internet access, either due to lack of income or being in a rural area.  Allschool systems employees should be praised for their dedicated efforts to keep learning going during such difficult conditions.    

My two oldest grandsons started 1st grade and PreK 3 this fall, but due to the Coronavirus are doing their schooling at home with tablets/notebooks and extremely loving, intelligent, patient parents and teachers.

Hopefully, if your granddaughter is going to college next autumn things will be better and she and all her age group will be able to attend in person, on campus.

Stay positive and know that things will improve--they always do--but the uncertainty of how and when, I think, is what puts us on edge and makes us so sad.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

My two granddaughters are freshman this year, their first year of high school, they have limited in class  teaching,i feel sad for them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

Everyone is having a hard time. I feel bad for everyone that can't make special days together with friends & family. My Granddaughter gratuated high school in June. She was the valedictorian! We couldn't have a party but the high school did a drive by & drive in. Myparents are now both in a nursing home, long term care. They are 97! Their 70th wedding anniversary was celebrated with a window visit. Such sad times.

Honored Contributor

Turn it around....consider  her a pioneer and see if she wants to start journaling her life, from this birthday on.  She can start her life story here.  Turn it around and show her a way to make this work in her favor.  Winner vs. loser.  Just a thought!!

Valued Contributor

Sad is a part of Nana or Granny, in my case, but part of loving this role is experience and the opportunity to bring some sunshine. 

Esteemed Contributor

@DAD wrote:

Everyone is having a hard time. I feel bad for everyone that can't make special days together with friends & family. My Granddaughter gratuated high school in June. She was the valedictorian! We couldn't have a party but the high school did a drive by & drive in. Myparents are now both in a nursing home, long term care. They are 97! Their 70th wedding anniversary was celebrated with a window visit. Such sad times.

oh my gosh.....wishing you better days.....congratulations to your granddaughter....and to your parents....