Valued Contributor

I've mentioned before that I'm a bit of a collector.  I hate to see things from our past, made right here in America, discarded and tossed away without a thought.  We used to actually manufacture here!  My biggest love is depression glass (primarily pitchers).  I also collect art deco powder jars (my favorites are elephants) and deco dresser sets.  Vintage chicken salt and pepper shakers and pitchers also bring me a smile.  As do old post cards which I frame.  Lately I've been collecting 1960 paper dresses (only those in original packages).

Now, for something I don't ever think I've mentioned, I'm a huge second hand clothes collector.  I'm now retired, but in my day I had to "dress" for work.  I have suits and day dresses  from primarily  the 40's and 50's (a few from the 60's) that I bought for a song.  They have the "union label" in them and I wore them to work (and still wear on occasion).  About 9-10 years ago I was in one of my haunts that I scout for my collectibles.  They have a small area with used clothing.  I bought a suit that had a Chanel label, the jacket had the chain in the hemline to weigh it down.  It was in pristine condition. I really wasn't 100% sure if it was legit, but thought it very may well be and plunked down my $50 to buy this beautiful suit.  I've worn it infrequently as I view it as something for a special occasion.  Three days ago my husband and I went to a pretty high end restaurant in NYC to celebrate a big anniversary and I wore the suit.  I was approached by a woman asking about my outfit.  Turns out it IS a legit Chanel from the 50's and I was offered $3,000 for it!!!  Nope didn't sell it, won't sell it, but thrilled I own it!

Valued Contributor

What a wonderful story.  Thanks for sharing.  Happiness is contagious.

Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:

I've mentioned before that I'm a bit of a collector.  I hate to see things from our past, made right here in America, discarded and tossed away without a thought.  We used to actually manufacture here!  My biggest love is depression glass (primarily pitchers).  I also collect art deco powder jars (my favorites are elephants) and deco dresser sets.  Vintage chicken salt and pepper shakers and pitchers also bring me a smile.  As do old post cards which I frame.  Lately I've been collecting 1960 paper dresses (only those in original packages).

Now, for something I don't ever think I've mentioned, I'm a huge second hand clothes collector.  I'm now retired, but in my day I had to "dress" for work.  I have suits and day dresses  from primarily  the 40's and 50's (a few from the 60's) that I bought for a song.  They have the "union label" in them and I wore them to work (and still wear on occasion).  About 9-10 years ago I was in one of my haunts that I scout for my collectibles.  They have a small area with used clothing.  I bought a suit that had a Chanel label, the jacket had the chain in the hemline to weigh it down.  It was in pristine condition. I really wasn't 100% sure if it was legit, but thought it very may well be and plunked down my $50 to buy this beautiful suit.  I've worn it infrequently as I view it as something for a special occasion.  Three days ago my husband and I went to a pretty high end restaurant in NYC to celebrate a big anniversary and I wore the suit.  I was approached by a woman asking about my outfit.  Turns out it IS a legit Chanel from the 50's and I was offered $3,000 for it!!!  Nope didn't sell it, won't sell it, but thrilled I own it!

Wow what a cool story.  Maybe you can post a pictureSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

What a fun, exciting story.  Congratulationss on finding a treasure.

Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2, Your story of the suit is very cool.  A few years back there was a show on t.v. about a woman who bought clothes that way, (like you) she rented them out to women for special occasions.  It only was on for about one season, but I really enjoyed it.

Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2,

Great story, thanks for posting,

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/48/0f/6a/480f6ae8acc458ded80535b16fe1dfd8.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I'm a Second Hand Hound

[ Edited ]

@Its Me LuLuBelle2: Happy Anniversary!

$3000.00 on a $50.00 investment? I would have met that woman at the nearest ATM or bank and removed the suit from my body on the spot before she could change her mind!

Valued Contributor

I understand that feeling,buy what you love. A style of your own.