Respected Contributor

I'm a *Basket Case*-> Lil'Sis Heart Surg (Wed) tomorrow

I'm a veritable "BASKET CASE"

Just had my last phone call with my "Lil'Sister" before her Heart Surgery some time tomorrow.

She will be undergoing "Bicuspid Aortic Valve Stenosis surgery."

Even tho she's in her 60s, this is her 1st hospitalization ever. Our family ALWAYS "avoided hospitalization like the plague," (and she has until now) .. (yet sometimes family did have to be admitted, & did well).

Not only am I concerned abt this particular surgery, but I'm concerned abt them "cracking open her chest" & her "chest recovery" thereafter. I dont know of one patient that fully mended, recovered from a mended "cracked open chest." And she's very active.

In our last conversation saying, "Good luck, I love you," I started sobbing. and would you believe? as scared as she is, (altho I suspect she's medicated. heh).. SHE was comforting me??

(I was thinking, what if this is my last conversation with my lil sister?)

Also, today, is my beloved, late Dad's Birthday ("HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!! I will light yr candle, Dad"). So that adds to my "basket case-ness, cause I adored him."

My beloved, adored, perfect 18yo "Cuddles" died Sept 13th, this yr (see "Pet Lovers"), and I'm still raw, & wayyy not over this.

So tomorrow, while she's in OP, I plan to indulge in some "pain relief," & then, try to rake leaves, cause it truly, wholeheartedly distracts me, & I myself have to pay attention, & be careful doing this, given my own Medical DXs, while I await her hubby's call, when she's out of OR

(Very unlike me, my sister is the antitheses of a believer.)

So, I would appreciate, even just telepathic "Prayers," or "Good Wishes," or "Good Luck" that y'all feel compelled to offer for her, her Surgeon, & Med Staff.

Thank you!

Trusted Contributor

Re: I'm a *Basket Case*-> Lil'Sis Heart Surg (Wed) tomorrow

[ Edited ]

@MakeUpMaidn  Prayers for a safe and successful surgery.

Valued Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn 

Prayers to you and your family.

Take care.

Respected Contributor

PS:

As added inducement to coming home, recovering fully & safely,  I told her, I ordered her, her three uber favorite DVDs  "waiting for her return home"  They'll be at her home before her Hosp release. 

I'll be texting her hubby of 30 yrs, to give him a heads up of their ETA.

Note:  (see these 3 of her favorite movies referred to in my thread:

"Fantasy 'e-Shopping'" for yr friends/family"  in "Community Chat"

And in case of any Amz "goof ups,"  I have a copy of all 3 also, to pop in the mail to make sure they'll be there in her "hot little hands" when she's Hosp released, even if she cant watch them yet, she knows they arrived!

Honored Contributor

Wishing your little sister all the best in the world, you be strong and hang in there for her!!!

Contributor

Will be sending positive thoughts for you and your sis tomorrow as I also rake leaves.

Esteemed Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn wrote:

I'm a veritable "BASKET CASE"

Just had my last phone call with my "Lil'Sister" before her Heart Surgery some time tomorrow.

She will be undergoing "Bicuspid Aortic Valve Stenosis surgery."

Even tho she's in her 60s, this is her 1st hospitalization ever. Our family ALWAYS "avoided hospitalization like the plague," (and she has until now) .. (yet sometimes family did have to be admitted, & did well).

Not only am I concerned abt this particular surgery, but I'm concerned abt them "cracking open her chest" & her "chest recovery" thereafter. I dont know of one patient that fully mended, recovered from a mended "cracked open chest." And she's very active.

@MakeUpMaidn 

I have had 2 heart attacks and have spent many weeks on the Heart Floor at my hospital. During that time I met numerous patients that "had their chests cracked open, several of my good friends, 1 of which was 83 when he had his Aortic Valve replaced. Within 3 months, he was back ice skating with me.

You don't "know any", I know so many that I have lost count that recovered just fine, many older than your sister. If she is in good physical shape(other than her heart), she should recover just fine, assuming she follows all her recovery instructions from her doctor(s).

In our last conversation saying, "Good luck, I love you," I started sobbing. and would you believe? as scared as she is, (altho I suspect she's medicated. heh).. SHE was comforting me??

(I was thinking, what if this is my last conversation with my lil sister?)

You are putting yourself through unnecessary worrying. If your sister trusts her doctor(s), she needs you to be strong for her. Optimism is the only way to look at all medical issues.

Also, today, is my beloved, late Dad's Birthday ("HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!! I will light yr candle, Dad"). So that adds to my "basket case-ness, cause I adored him."

My beloved, adored, perfect 18yo "Cuddles" died Sept 13th, this yr (see "Pet Lovers"), and I'm still raw, & wayyy not over this.

So tomorrow, while she's in OP, I plan to indulge in some "pain relief," & then, try to rake leaves, cause it truly, wholeheartedly distracts me, & I myself have to pay attention, & be careful doing this, given my own Medical DXs, while I await her hubby's call, when she's out of OR

(Very unlike me, my sister is the antitheses of a believer.)

So, I would appreciate, even just telepathic "Prayers," or "Good Wishes," or "Good Luck" that y'all feel compelled to offer for her, her Surgeon, & Med Staff.

Thank you!

Sending my thoughts to your sister for a full recovery. 🙏

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Sending prayers for your sister right now. 🙏

New Contributor

Prayers to your sister, and esp you and your family. I had aortic aneurysm removed and valve replacement. This was in 2014. I too had my chest plate 'cracked open'. I healed perfectly fine...I was very nervous about that but no problems. I feel the best I ever have, walk 5 miles a day.  I think the key was sitting up all the time, even to sleep. I did that for 2 months. My Dr. said the best thing to do was walk, little each day, for full recovery.

I'll be praying for you all. 

Esteemed Contributor

Keeping your sister in prayer and praying for you as well. (((HUGS)))