Respected Contributor

Re: I'm Turning Into My Mother

@ShowMe

By now you would know if you were like your mother:  your values and behavior are telling.  Your sister said that you have her features and walking mannerism, not that your behavior is identical to hers.

Quite a difference !!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I really feel like I'm becoming more like my mother! I use to make fun of her, she would start up a conversation with anyone, usually standing on line. I now find I do exactly the same thing! She always says when I say something I was thinking the same thing! It's like we are sharing one brain!

I do this too and some people look at you like you are crazy!  

People usually don't mind you striking up a conversation with them. Just today I saw a woman wearing a top I have. I said I have that top, she said you do and smiled. I just like to talk but I am respectful when people aren't interested in conversing with me.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Love your story, Noel!   I'm glad you had a wonderful mother and now you have your wonderful daughter.  It makes my heart feel good just knowing that.  

I do that 'starting up of conversations' too.  It's kind of odd, because I'm fairly shy, especially with people I don't know.  But when I'm in line somewhere or whatever I might say something.  If the person says something back we might talk for a bit and it's pleasant.

Growing up, when I did, in N. CA, I was always one who smiled at passersby and said 'hi'.   I still do that.  That's something I wouldn't want to lose.  My mother was not a very nice person, however, so I didn't get that from her.  I guess I just got it from me.  Smiley Happy

It's funny you say you're shy I have always been shy too. I have found as I get older I'm a little more outgoing. Also it is easy to talk to strangers, you probably won't see them again!

Honored Contributor

In reading some of these replies I didn't realize how many of you had rough childhoods. I just would like to give you all a collective I'm so sorry. My father and I didn't really get along either I have a sister and had a brother (he passed away). My brother hung the moon according to my father. My brother tried to make me feel better but he knew he was dad's favorite. I never held it against my brother, it wasn't his fault.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I really feel like I'm becoming more like my mother! I use to make fun of her, she would start up a conversation with anyone, usually standing on line. I now find I do exactly the same thing! She always says when I say something I was thinking the same thing! It's like we are sharing one brain!

don't feel bad.......It happens to the best of us.............................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@ShowMe

By now you would know if you were like your mother:  your values and behavior are telling.  Your sister said that you have her features and walking mannerism, not that your behavior is identical to hers.

Quite a difference !!!!

You are quite right.  I know I am nothing like my mother was.....and I thank God for that daily.  If I had had any children, I know I could never have just walked off and left them and not return into their lives until they were grown. 

No, my behavior or mannerism is nothing like hers was. 

You are so correct, there is a big difference.......

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

In reading some of these replies I didn't realize how many of you had rough childhoods. I just would like to give you all a collective I'm so sorry. My father and I didn't really get along either I have a sister and had a brother (he passed away). My brother hung the moon according to my father. My brother tried to make me feel better but he knew he was dad's favorite. I never held it against my brother, it wasn't his fault.

And we wonder why this World is in such a mess........

I have often said that I am so glad that I wasn't raised by my mother.  And am so thankful I had a father that loved us, and his side of the family were there for us too. 

Sorry for what you went through growing up.  That must have been tough......on both you and your brothers. 

Respected Contributor

Yep, am just like my MOther and proud of it. I,like several of you, talk to anyone - I do not know a stranger regardless of where I am. My grands and great grands think I am nuts. I keep telling them, easier to enjoy life than fret and fume about it. While I say I am proud to be like my Mother, I also inherited some of her health problems - not nice and no fun but what can I say. Am so fortunate in addition to that to just have great parents - both of them - and the older I got I truly realized it. Now darn it all anyway, my hair is also falling out., Geesh!!! But on the real serious side of it we had another similarity - I lost my only child, a daughter, when she was 35 - it was - and still is horrible. My Mother lost her older son at 47, due to Nam - we both shared in those losses - not pleasant but we understood.

Honored Contributor

My parents had no business having kids and we are nothing like our parents.

Esteemed Contributor

When I read about how awful a mother or father was I thank God for the wonderful parents I had.  I am sorry for those of you who weren't fortunate to have loving parents and wish I could wash away some of the hurt you have.

My mother was not just a mother, she was a friend and my father, oh, what can I say about that wonderful man I miss so much.  He always told people he was glad and proud of having his two daughters and didn't mind not having a son.  He took the time to teach my sister and I so many things.  I would be honored to turn into my mother.

I am very much like both of my parents in that I talk to strangers.  If I see a hair style or handbag or piece of clothing I like I think nothing of walking up to the person and telling them.  I have been told by people that strangers are drawn to me and I have to believe it is true.  So many times a stranger would start a conversation in the grocery store or wherever, and I would end up listening to someone who had a sad story or problem they needed to talk about.  My parents were like that, they were friendly, good, kind people.  I am glad that I told them over the years how much I loved and appreciated them.  My sister and I were two very lucky people.   

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam