Honored Contributor

I'm the OP I can assure you the detective I spoke to really was with the police department, although I think he needs a refresher course on how to speak with the public. As for the mail, there is only one box for three apartments (there is a basement apartment) I don't want to give the impression I'm pawing through the mail, I'm looking for my mail. The reason I bought the mail in is that it was in the mailbox overnight, not good. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 , If you have been to the precinct and spoken to that detective in person and he said yes, I called you, is the only way you know that it is in fact the detective who called.  It could just as easily have been somebody who had that detective's business card and called and pretended it was him.   Not to say you should worry if it wasn't; it sounds like the other officer assured you it was fine, just be aware that that doesn't mean a thing.  My husband had an incident at work where that person's attorney showed up to tell him he was suing him and gave him his business card.  He showed it to me.  I said what did he look like?  Just so happened I knew that attorney, who in fact is a criminal attorney, and it was one of his clients claiming to be him and giving out his business card.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I'm the OP I can assure you the detective I spoke to really was with the police department, although I think he needs a refresher course on how to speak with the public. As for the mail, there is only one box for three apartments (there is a basement apartment) I don't want to give the impression I'm pawing through the mail, I'm looking for my mail. The reason I bought the mail in is that it was in the mailbox overnight, not good. 

Yes, it's aggravating that some people don't take in their mail, but you should only be removing your own mail from the box.  And legally, the landlord should be providing three boxes.  I have to wonder of he/she does not have the proper permitting for this to be a multi-family residence. In that case, he/she wouldn't want to call attention to it by placing three mail boxes out front.  In any case, each apartment should have it's own box or section in a larger multi-unit box.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@Jordan2   Do you have different addresses (Apt.A,B,C or Apt.1,2,3)? If so, it is illegal to combine 3 different addresses in one mailbox. 

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

You've already given the police officer all the information he needs from you.  How could he possibly cause you any trouble?  It's not your responsibility to protect the woman he's looking for.  He has probable cause and maybe she needs to be found.  He's getting paid to find her. If he calls again I'd tell him I don't have any information and hang up.  Hang up on him.  He'll have to get off his behind and do some foot work.  Or turn it around on him.  "Hey Joe, you're calling AGAIN.  Haven't you found .... Jane... Yet?  

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm Too Nice

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 

You appear nice on these threads and that it fine.  There is nothing wrong with being nice.

Being naive is another issue.

You  struggled with heavy packages which you were not asked to bring in and then expected a thank you.  How was she to know you brought them in??

Why are you handling mail that does not belong to you??

As far as the detective, you took a major risk with this "detective".

The "Order of Protection" really raised my eyebrows.  You do not know if the former tenant had an abusive partner who is still looking for her or if this is a neighborhood stalker trying to get to you, the newbie in the neighborhood. 

I would not like somebody handling my mail and if you had dropped even on of those boxes and caused damage to the contents-nice would not be a factor.

If she is expecting something important in the mail that doesn't show up-you could be accused of stealing her mail.

Be cautious; being nice can back-fire.

Leave things alone that do not belong to you.

And paragraphs would help wading through your post.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

OK @Jordan2   You may be living in an illegal apartment. There are illegal apartments everywhere, and the landlord doesn't tell you when you sign the lease. I was a landlady for 25 years and had to rent an apartment for myself for one year. It was a beautiful two bedroom in an affluent neighborhood and my landlady was a highly respected member of the community. The apartment was illegal.

Many things can happen when you rent an illegal apartment. I found out I was paying the heat for both apartments. A large tree fell over on a neighbor's car and I got sued. And many more.

The only way to be sure is to call your town hall, ask for the office that handles code inspections, and ask them if your address is a registered multi-family building. Understand this will open a can of worms and where there are many illegal apartments there is usually accompanying corruption.

But better to know.

Honored Contributor

OP here, the woman didn't live in my apartment prior to me (the landlord actually did), she just had my phone number (I wonder how long a number lies dormant before it's given to someone else)? The house is a legal two family house I live upstairs second floor (I don't know if the basement apartment is legal but it's not my business).

Honored Contributor

A good way to find out if the apartment is legal is if there are two or three electric meters outside.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

OP here, the woman didn't live in my apartment prior to me (the landlord actually did), she just had my phone number (I wonder how long a number lies dormant before it's given to someone else)? The house is a legal two family house I live upstairs second floor (I don't know if the basement apartment is legal but it's not my business).

@Jordan2 

Do you, on the second floor, and the apartment on the first floor have different addresses?  For example, you are 310 Elm St. and she is 312 Elm St.?  Or you are 310 Elm Apt.A and she is 310 Apt.B?

If you are both just 310 Elm St., then the house was probably not legally subdivided. The post office requires separate mail receptacles. 

I'm confused about the phone #.  When you moved seven weeks ago, your phone number changed? 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett