Honored Contributor

Re: I'm Staying Up New Year's Eve

@SunSprite 

Me either I was in the hospital with double pneumonia and the flu, so no partying for this girl, here's hoping the year will be different although someone what subdued

@SunSprite wrote:

Well I didn't stay up to watch it last year. I also didn't eat hoppin' johns and collards either.

And look what happened. Cat Surprised

I'll stay up this year for sure, and will force myself through a plate of hj and collards.......even if it kills me Smiley Frustrated

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Laura14 

I have a feeling there will not be many at Times Square, the ball drop will happen but it will be a much smaller event

@Laura14 wrote:

I have my big middle foam finger ready to salute the ball as it drops.  I say everyone at Times Square gets one to wave too.   

@I am still oxox 

I sure hope so, for the sake of all of us.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do not stay up, for new years eve,period,but hope there is good news to celebrate before  then.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 

I already told my friends about celebrating this New Year's Eve!!! .....And does anyone know a good recipe for black-eyed peas....Im not taking any chances about next year even if I have to hold my nose while eating them....😝

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Anonymous032819 

I already told my friends that about celebrating this New Year's Eve!!! .....And does anyone know a good recipe for black-eyed peas....Im not taking any chances about next year even if I have to hold my nose while eating them....😝

Lots of bacon and bacon fat cooked for hours along with the black-eyed peas.....yum.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not me.

Watch people's kick  off the new year with another super spreader event?

Pass.

Stay safe. Stay home.”

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@SunSprite wrote:

Well I didn't stay up to watch it last year. I also didn't eat hoppin' johns and collards either.

And look what happened. Cat Surprised

I'll stay up this year for sure, and will force myself through a plate of hj and collards.......even if it kills me Smiley Frustrated

@SunSprite  I'll join you. Maybe we should have a virtual party

Can I come to the party???  I hate parties but I'll make an exception for this one ... GOOD RIDDANCE 2020.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt   Recipe from a former co-worker.  They were tasty at a New Year's Buffet:

6 slices bacon chopped into small pieces

1 onion, sliced thin

1 1/4 tsp salt

4 tsp minced garlic

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp pepper

1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes

1 1/2 cups chicken broth

2 15.5-oz cans black-eyed peas, rinsed

1 tbsp cider vinegar

1 tsp sugar

Cook bacon in big pot until crisp.  Set aside on paper towel on plate.  Leave 2 tbsp bacon fat in pot.  

Stir onion and salt into bacon fat over heat until golden brown.  Stir in garlic, cumin, pepper, and red pepper flakes to mix.

Stir in tomatoes with juice, chicken broth, and black-eyed peas.  Cook to reduce liquid for 5 minutes.  Stir in vinegar and sugar.  Sprinkle bacon pieces on top.  

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter 

Oh, no.  Those are definitely not the way black eyed peas are made in the south and I'm south GA born and bred.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Anonymous032819 

I already told my friends that about celebrating this New Year's Eve!!! .....And does anyone know a good recipe for black-eyed peas....Im not taking any chances about next year even if I have to hold my nose while eating them....😝

Lots of bacon and bacon fat cooked for hours along with the black-eyed peas.....yum.

@Hoovermom 

Not here in Savannah, GA, black eyed peas are best cooked with a smoked ham hock.

When the peas are done, we strip the pieces of ham from the hock and add back to the peas.

Serve over rice, optional toppings; fresh chopped onion, jalapenos, or.....