Respected Contributor

Re: I'm So Sick of Cox Cable

I posted my reply sorta toung in cheek wanting Cox to have to deal with the U.S. Gov for all the problems they caused their viewers.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We kicked Cox to the curb three years ago and changed to Direct TV and it is so much better. With Cox the picture was always pixalating, our internet went out several times a day and every time I would call them the solution was they needed to come out. I would tell them I was going to work and if the problem still existed 12 hours from now I would call them. Every time the problem managed to fix itself. Then they would had packages on my bill I never asked for thinking I wouldn't notice and just pay it.  When I called them on it they got all defensive and asked me why I didn't want the channels and I would miss the Oprah channel. (Like I really care). When I dropped them they didn't even care. Sometimes a company will try to get you to reconsider or offer freebies, not these people. I was just another unsatisified customer.

Respected Contributor

@Frosted Cake wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@Frosted Cake wrote:

Times have changed.  Cox charges more and more and provides less and less.   Every month I have to have something corrected on my bill.

@Frosted Cake

Can't you change your provider? Have you tried satellite? I have had Dish Network for many years, and while prices have gone up, I have never paid for a service call.

Sure I have had outages during storms, but measured mostly in minutes than hours. If I was as ticked as you seem to be, I would be shopping for a new provider.

There are always things like Roku/ Netflix and Amazon that offer streaming if you have wifi.

hckynut(john)

Not able to do so.   I don't have wifi.  I'm on a fixed income and this is all I can afford. This is what I have, sorry to disappoint.    THX anyway!

Have you checked to see what you can receive with digital rabbit ears??  They are very inexpensive.  In major markets there will be over the air free broadcasts.  I do have to adjust the ears but not a big thing.  I live in the Northern Virginia market. 

Respected Contributor

I guess I am lucky, but I've had Cox Cable for over 30 years and not had a problem.

They've been very receptive to service issues and I've never paid for a service call.

Most glitches, ie: frozen picture, channels not available, pixellation I've been able to fix myself by doing a hard reset on the cable box.  You can also call and have them do a reset over the phone.

I've had a few outages over the years, but they've been fairly short-lived.

Friends with Direct TV seem to have far more outages than I've had.

Is the bill too high?  Yes!  But I'm paying approximately the same as those who have satellite.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

You don't want to go to satellite unless you have no other choice.    If you have inclement weather or wind or any other obstructive entity, the outages are just horrific.  I looked into it once, when our cable prices started going up and found that it was just way too problematic.   It would have cost even more, anyway, than what we were paying for cable.  With cable, our outages are few and far between.  We had one outage in the last several years.

The unfortunate thing is that the cable companies seem to keep it where there is only one provider in any given market.

We have Charter here and it's been pretty good over the years.   Even if I was interested in changing to satellite I wouldn't because it is not compatible with my Tivos.  I would have to use their generic DVRs and I have even less  interest in that.  

Honored Contributor

If anyone has a Playstation or an Amazon Fire TV/Firestick device, you may want to look into Playstation Vue.

I have it and like it.  It isn't exactly cable but it does give me all the channels I really like for $40 a month so I have internet through Comcast and also digital antennas hooked up to my two tv's.

Please know if you have any issues with your internet service it will negatively impact your Vue experience but for me it was better than eating yet another price hike from AT&T.  I am still feuding with Comcast over the original install but when things are working as advertised, I like it.

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe I'm thinking about cancelling my Comcast cable tv & landline, & just keeping the internet service.  Would you mind sharing how much your monthly cost is for internet from Comcast?  If not, at least a range, like more than $50 but less than $75, or something like that?  TIA!

Honored Contributor

@DoneTryin wrote:

@momtochloe I'm thinking about cancelling my Comcast cable tv & landline, & just keeping the internet service.  Would you mind sharing how much your monthly cost is for internet from Comcast?  If not, at least a range, like more than $50 but less than $75, or something like that?  TIA!

@DoneTryin I happened to luck into a great promotional price of $59.99 for their Turbo Blast internet plus local channels and about 30 cable channels (10 of which I actually have use for and just for comparison sake I live in the western suburbs of Chicago).

As I am pretty sure they are going to clip me for at least $10 more after the promotional price is over, I will be dropping the basic channels and going with Vue/digital antenna or it's my understanding that Hulu is going to be offering some interesting programming sometime this year.

I am still feuding with Comcast over the install (took three tries and counting) plus I still am finding the internet speed to be spotty (I have an older laptop but the Fire devices are relatively new and shouldn't be having the problems they are having).

I know a lot of people are not happy with their cable/internet providers so I go based solely on price now because if I am going to be aggravated I would prefer not to pay a lot for that privlege . . . Smiley Happy

Please let me know if you need anything else, I'd be happy to help.

Trusted Contributor

Cox had me on a "trial" sports package I knew nothing about and had no notification of.   Apparently, the trial expired on June 1 and they started charging me for it.    

I filed a complaint with the FCC.   There needs to be laws that make it imperative that they inform you and you can opt out before the time period. They don't give a fly about their customers.  It's all about underhanded means to make money off unsuspecting people.

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe. Thanks!  It'll be interesting to hear what they have to say when I call them!  They seem to be very good at not giving a straight answer or providing actual dollar amounts.