Respected Contributor

I'm sorry you got a ticket. But, I don't understand why anyone would park at a meter they know is broken???Smiley Indifferent

Respected Contributor

For those that responded that my daughter could drive around for another spot, she doesn't drive because she has a seizure disorder.   And, yes, next time I will make the appointment at the other office but that's not pertinent to this situation. 

The point I was trying to make was the attitude of the people I spoke with; first being the clerk at the court where the phone number appeared on the ticket, and the second was the clerk at the parking authority who I was referred to and spoke with in person.  Both were rather rude and somewhat dismissive.   It's not my responsibility to keep parking meters in working order.

Makes me wonder why the meter-maid didn't report it needed repair since it was blinking like crazy.  Surely she/he must have seen it in order to get the number of the meter right next to the blinking before a ticket was issued.   

I sure hope they call with a good response.  Otherwise, I will fight it.  I won't pay for something I didn't do!

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

It's not my responsibility to keep parking meters in working order.

So why did you feel entitled to park there, free of charge?

Trusted Contributor

Better to have left a note on the meter and/or windshield of your car indicating meter is out of order.  Sign with date and time.  Take pic of note with your phone.

That’s what I do if  the meter is broken.   I have never  got a ticket doing that.  I do observe the posted parking time limit.

Good luck pleading your case with the judge.  

Hung

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@ciao_bella wrote:

It's not my responsibility to keep parking meters in working order.

So why did you feel entitled to park there, free of charge?

@sidsmom

Entitled, no...but it's a public street and the town can pay for someone to give tickets, they should  keep their meters in working order.  And, it wasn't 'free of charge'.  I put 3 quarters in the meter, way more than the half of an hour I needed for the doctor's appointment.  

Valued Contributor
This is life.....It happened to me and I was told the same thing by the clerk. After someone went and checked to be sure it was broken, picture or not, a few days later they waived my ticket. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Respected Contributor
Here’s another twist to parking meter frustration. A while back was meeting in an area I don’t normally visit in the city. Drive around and around looking for lot but none available so we found street parking spot. Noticed post shorter than meter but went up to read. Had to download app, put in credit card to park. I was not wantkng to put in credit card but didn’t have any other option. Apparently this is what city going to.
Respected Contributor

@Twins Mom  In the spring of this year, had a similar thing happen to me.  A friend of mine wanted me to meet her in Asbury Park, NJ's Convention Hall for a 'Catsbury Park Convention (about a 40 minute ride from my house.)  Haven't been to Asbury Park in decades, so wasn't sure about the parking.  All the parking near the Convention center was street parking metered but payment was only through credit card. 

Luckily for me, there was a young woman walking her dog when I was trying to figure out how the darn thing worked as it wasn't that clear for someone using it for the first time.    

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

@Twins Mom  In the spring of this year, had a similar thing happen to me.  A friend of mine wanted me to meet her in Asbury Park, NJ's Convention Hall for a 'Catsbury Park Convention (about a 40 minute ride from my house.)  Haven't been to Asbury Park in decades, so wasn't sure about the parking.  All the parking near the Convention center was street parking metered but payment was only through credit card. 

Luckily for me, there was a young woman walking her dog when I was trying to figure out how the darn thing worked as it wasn't that clear for someone using it for the first time.    

A friend of mine lived not very far from Asbury Park - when I went down to visit with her, she did the driving and that's where we went.  I'm glad she did the driving because I would have parked the car and went on my merry way.  I didn't see meters because they use the one big meter at the street corners like they do in NYC.

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I dont blame you at all.  I think I would tell the doctors office that you dont care for the parking situation and you are thinking about changing doctors because of it.  Next I would get the rude clerks name and write a letter to the mayors office explanining the situation and especially about the rude city clerk.  Or you could just start making arrangements to be dropped off the the doctors office and chalk it up to one of life's crappy lessons.

@Imaoldhippie.  In what way was the clerk rude?  Just because the OP didn't get the answer she wanted, doesn't make the clerk rude.  Sadly, this is often the response that government employees get when they state policy that doesn't suit the public.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment