Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter @Karie2022 - I don't know about how the church operates with signs, however, businesses do not want people parking in their lot if they are not doing business there. The business has a contract with the tow company.

Many times I see a car getting towed, the owner is arguing with the tow operator as he is trying to explain the situation. Car owner says I don't see any signs - meanwhile they are parked directly in front of the sign.

Respected Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@Kalli - Just to make sure there are no signs posted stating it is for banking purposes only -  or your car might be towed at your expense.

@riley1, You are right, of course.  I would never use this strategy in a city but this is a small town bank with whom we’ve done a lot of business over many years.

The signs say the lot is for bank customers only. There’s no stipulation on time allotment.  Of course I don’t park there all day but I’ve parked there for an hour or so.  In addition, over many years I’ve noticed they don’t really enforce parking regs there.  I can see them possibly ticketing, maybe, but not towing unless a car is left there for many days/weeks. 

Now, there may come a day when I get a rude awakening, I suppose. Guess I’ll have to let you know when that happens once I get home after paying my ticket and wash the egg off my face!  Being a small town, my husband is friendly with the bank management and plays the bank sponsored golf tournament in their foursome each summer so it would be very embarrassing for me. 😉  

Trusted Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@CelticCrafter @Karie2022 - I don't know about how the church operates with signs, however, businesses do not want people parking in their lot if they are not doing business there. The business has a contract with the tow company.

Many times I see a car getting towed, the owner is arguing with the tow operator as he is trying to explain the situation. Car owner says I don't see any signs - meanwhile they are parked directly in front of the sign.

Yes, I was concerned about that, so I tripled checked for any kind of signs and there are none..I know a lot of businesses do, but this church does not.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I can't think what good a picture of the meter would be since it doesn't prove you put money in it. It would have been better had you left a note on the meter and on your windshield. That way the ticketing person could try the meter themselves before ticketing you.

That's a good idea.  I also would have asked my daughter to call the township/municipality to let them know, and/or had her move the car.

One of my doctors has two locations, and one is much more convenient for me in every way (including parking), so I schedule my appointments at that location and avoid the other one.  If parking is an issue anywhere I go, I always allow a LOT of extra time just to avoid stressing myself out over situations that can arise (such as this one).

I agree with those who have said not to complain to the doctor's office or threaten to leave and go elsewhere.  They're very well aware of the parking options available at each of their locations, and they're certainly not responsible for a broken meter.

Esteemed Contributor

@HB glamma wrote:
@I would not have parked there, drove around till I found another spot. DD could have dropped you off @ Dr., or call dr office to tell them you might be a little late due to parking.

I wouldn't have left my car there either because I would be worried about it, and I don't need added stress. Especially if I had someone with me (as the OP did), I would not have left my car in that particular spot.  

There's no reason to think, btw, that they won't discover there was in fact a problem with the meter.  Parking there meant the possiblity of having to fight, but that doesn't mean it won't turn out fine.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I dont blame you at all.  I think I would tell the doctors office that you dont care for the parking situation and you are thinking about changing doctors because of it.  Next I would get the rude clerks name and write a letter to the mayors office explanining the situation and especially about the rude city clerk.  Or you could just start making arrangements to be dropped off the the doctors office and chalk it up to one of life's crappy lessons.

Ummm...NO, do not complain to the doctor's office. There is not a dang thing they are in control of when it comes to the parking situation if it is not private parking, Change doctor's if you must but complaining to THEM about the downtown parking will not change one thing. They can discharged as a patient if you become hostile about something that they have nothing to do with. 

You could ask about making appointment going foward at the other office if that makes it better for you.

I disagree. You must complain, and very intently as they don't have enough parking or convenient parking. It will cost them patients, and that will cost them money. All businesses need to know when customers aren't happy. Doctors or not, they are a business, and they need to make their locations, parking, and services convenient to their customers, and meet their customers needs and desires. Doctors aren't gods. And they have everything to do with the parking. They can move their practice. Doctors do it all the time, move to better locations with more parking etc. 

They need to understand that it might not be a good location for their office to be. 

In the future, I'd not accept any appointments at that location, as I would not want to mess with finding parking. 

Perhaps this office is close to public transportation.  Not everyone has a car or lives in a suburb.  We need doctors offices where the public can get to them not just accommodating those who want free parking.

I was just about to make the same point.  Doctors always want to set up their offices in locations that are convenient for their patients, and not everyone drives.  There's a reason why rent for office space is so high in cities.  Not only is there likely to be public transportation, but there are lots of other businesses and offices close by too, which makes it easier for some patients to visit the doctor during their lunch hour, right after work, while doing errands in town, etc.  The foot traffic in towns and cities brings in a lot of business.

This doctor having two offices (one with easy parking and one with not-so-easy parking) tells me that he's trying to accommodate ALL of his patients, including the ones who find the meter-parking area more convenient and the ones who don't drive.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

@Kalli - Just to make sure there are no signs posted stating it is for banking purposes only -  or your car might be towed at your expense.

@riley1, You are right, of course.  I would never use this strategy in a city but this is a small town bank with whom we’ve done a lot of business over many years.

The signs say the lot is for bank customers only. There’s no stipulation on time allotment.  Of course I don’t park there all day but I’ve parked there for an hour or so.  In addition, over many years I’ve noticed they don’t really enforce parking regs there.  I can see them possibly ticketing, maybe, but not towing unless a car is left there for many days/weeks. 

Now, there may come a day when I get a rude awakening, I suppose. Guess I’ll have to let you know when that happens once I get home after paying my ticket and wash the egg off my face!  Being a small town, my husband is friendly with the bank management and plays the bank sponsored golf tournament in their foursome each summer so it would be very embarrassing for me. 😉  

Unless the bank parking is on public property there would not be a ticket.  The only recourse on private property is towing.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Occasional Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@HB glamma wrote:
@I would not have parked there, drove around till I found another spot. DD could have dropped you off @ Dr., or call dr office to tell them you might be a little late due to parking.

I wouldn't have left my car there either because I would be worried about it, and I don't need added stress. Especially if I had someone with me (as the OP did), I would not have left my car in that particular spot.  

There's no reason to think, btw, that they won't discover there was in fact a problem with the meter.  Parking there meant the possiblity of having to fight, but that doesn't mean it won't turn out fine.

I wouldn't have taken the chance either. I would have  been thinking about it.

Hope it works out ok OP!

Honored Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

@KalliI think you assume a privilege.  If you are not doing banking, then parking in their lot is wrong.  You take up a space for another customer and if you are that concerned about reputation you wouldn't be doing this at all.

Time limit signs are not the norm in my experience but a sign that indicates parking for customers only is the norm.

Whether a small town or a large city-you are wrong.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Kalli wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

@KalliI think you assume a privilege.  If you are not doing banking, then parking in their lot is wrong.  You take up a space for another customer and if you are that concerned about reputation you wouldn't be doing this at all.

Time limit signs are not the norm in my experience but a sign that indicates parking for customers only is the norm.

Whether a small town or a large city-you are wrong.

@Cakers3 I figured it could be interpreted that way.  I am doing banking by using the ATM, if you read my original response.  When I’m done I run errands before leaving town. 

Next time I do banking I’ll go inside and see the teller instead of using the ATM. Then I’ll ask her if I can stay in the lot while I run errands.  Might as well find out how she’ll respond.