Esteemed Contributor

Re: I'm Scared and am Having an Anxiety Attack!

Picture a scene in a movie where tragedy happened. Now picture how various actors reacted. Do you want to be the person who panics and puts yourself and loved ones in even more harm? Or the person who is the calming influence?

I've struggled with spring allergies for decades. March 1st and hello allergies. At first, when I coughed, I found myself so stressed, imagining all sorts of things, so I had to have a harsh talk with myself. As my daughter said -- it would be easier to be put into a coma and wake up in 2 months. Yes, it would, but that's not an option.

Son calls me almost daily with a panic report. He asked why I was appearing so calm. Well, I'm slow to share concerns with people who will panic and get upset, so I opt to stay calm. But I did tell son -- I woke up one day, age 12, and discovered my mother had died. If I've learned anything in life it is that life is full of change and life goes on. We don't have control of as many things as we think we do, but we do have the ability to have common sense and  recover and thrive when tragedy hits. And we always have the option of encouraging others. 

I stated in another post - read ECBG's quote from Kitty O'Meara. I found it quite calming. Save the quote and read the words daily if you need to. It's the kind of message people who have been through disappointment, crisis and tragedy know to be true. 

I keep thinking of my dad who spent 5 years of his twenties in Europe and North Africa, WW2, driving a tank under General Patton's leadership. He kept a Nazi flag from a concentration camp in Germany as a reminder of what can happen when hate and fear rule the day. I remember a neighbor telling me how calm dad was when a tornado ripped through our community in 1957. I was a baby. Neighbor asked my dad how he remained so calm. Dad told him -- I've seen tragedy -- and there's life after tragedy.

I don't know what's going to happen, but there will be a good life after this mess. A beautiful life where people learn to be wiser and more compassionate. 

Meditation, reading positive messages, prayer, music and sleep helps, too! There's nothing simple or easy about our current crisis. If we have a panic day - wake the next day and do better. Wishing all well.       

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau