Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I just put a 19 pound bird in to the oven.

First, I let it soak overnight in a brine, then after I rinsed it off, I injected it with Zatarain's Creole Butter marinade. 

Then I let it rest for a few hours.

I then shoved about two dozen cloves of garlic up its backside, before massaging butter on the skin, and sprinkling salt, pepper and paprika.

I am cooking it inside a roasting bag.

It should be nice and juicy and flavorful!

I can hardly wait!

@Anonymous032819   You have a quite a way with the words! Smiley Happy

Enjoy your bird!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

Re: I'm Roasting a Turkey

[ Edited ]

That sounds really good. What kind of injector do you have? I have never done that before,and what kind of spices do you do it with?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 Thank you for the tip!  I've just ordered the marinade and injector, it'll be here in time for tomorrow night's dinner Smiley Happy.  I'm going to try it on pork and may use it to marinate some shrimp later in the week.  Will definitely try it on poultry too!

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest Zatarain's Creole Butter Marinade was mentioned and can be purchased as a kit including the injector.  I just ordered one and will try it out tomorrow Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What does soaking it overnight in brine do? I only roast whole turkey breasts since my picky family won’t eat dark meat...I put sage butter in the space between skin and meat, Rub a tiny bit of oil on skin, then sprinkle with fresh rosemary and pepper. Fill cavity with an onion, celery stalk with leaves.
I always use a roasting bag....the only way to do it! I know a 19 pounder sounds like you will get many meals from it! Have not used a brine as we cannot do salt.

Honored Contributor

highly recommend this cookbook.....it is for rotisserie chickens, but works equally well if you have tons of leftover turkey meat.

rotisserie chickens to the rescue cookbook.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

@goldensrbest Zatarain's Creole Butter Marinade was mentioned and can be purchased as a kit including the injector.  I just ordered one and will try it out tomorrow Smiley Happy

Not sure i would like that , i wonder if any one has used other marinades ,i saw that you can make your own.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

The turkey was literally falling off of the bone, it was so tender and delicious!

I wish that I could send you all some!

I wish you could too! I am going to buy one Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

Please report back on how it came out.  I have never injected a turkey and wonder if you can taste the added flavor.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

To answer some questions, I like to brine my bird because to me, it makes it more tender and juicy.

I use this injector to inject the marinade into the meat.

51yMZU94ZdL._AC_SY200_.jpg

I got it on Amazon.

On a side note, the Autocorrect on my device wanted to change the word "brine" to "bribe".😄

So, the sentence almost said, "I like to bribe my bird..." before I caught it and changed it.😄

I almost left it that way for laughs.😄

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.