Honored Contributor

I'm On Medicare And I Hate Open Enrollment Time!

Ugh.  First, I'm bombarded by telephone calls (and also mail) from insurance companies wanting me to go with their offering to supplement Medicare.  Even though I'm on federal and state Do Not Call lists and I've never done any business with those companies.  (I don't answer the phone except accidentally occasionally when I think it's a number I recognize).

Second of all, I always review my coverage and for the past two years have wanted to change my prescription drug plan. I was actually forced to do that this year when my Aetna PDP plan was no longer being offered.   Ugh, this takes hours and hours of wasted time.  First, being on hold to ask questions of my prospective choices to find the one most suitable to me (after my internet research I always have more specific questions of each company)  and then more time waiting while they look up the answers to my questions. 

Then even  worse is the wait time on hold and then all the rigamaroll to get my plan changed.   This is all so time-consuming and definitely not fun.  I really despise open enrollment time.  

While I've liked my coverage during the year from Medicare, my Medigap plan and my PDP, reviewing my plans  each year and making a change is a nightmare!

Valued Contributor

Re: I'm On Medicare And I Hate Open Enrollment Time!

@Pearlee  You put it all into words and without swearing, Congratulations that is really difficult to do. Promise no politics. Anything that is Government or insurance or legal involved is a frustrating mess to deal with, and we are stuck with it yearly. 

I sometimes think they want you to do everything over the internet and/or phone so violence doesn't occur.

The information they want you to give them with no proof what so ever that they are who they say they are can hand over your identity and then they get upset with you if you say I don't want to answer that. 

I had one insurance company tell me to go to a web site, and when I did THEY took a photo of me with my tablet without my approval. They then wanted a picture of my driver's license to they could compare the two photos to be positive I was who I claimed to be. But, I still had no proof of who they were or if they really did work for that company. I shut down the tablet after telling them I had no interest in doing business with them.

The constant phone calls, the notices in the mail, and all the ads on TV remind us we have only a few weeks to decide one of the most complicated choices of the year. And the fine print can throw a wrench in the whole thing for another year. It's nearly as bad as an election year.

Respected Contributor

While I'm not having to change my health plan, I'm sick and tired of all the commercials on TV and the radio. Hope all of you are able to choose the best plan for your selves and your family.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee ...Oh my gosh I am with you on this.  I still haven't made a decision and it is getting close to the deadline.  My current supplement plan with Aetna of course has increased which it does every year and I want out.  The bad part of the whole thing is if we make a mistake and find the plan we signed up for isn't as good as we thought, we can't change it and will be stuck with it for a whole year.  Woman MadWoman Frustrated

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

I am retiring soon and all this stuff scares me!  Good luck on your choices. 

Honored Contributor

It is against the law for anyone to contact you over the phone to buy health insurance unless you have requested them to (filled out a card for more info).

No one should ever talk to these brokers.  Their calls are annoying and they are breaking the law.

It is perfectly legal and okay to send out mailings for health insurance.  You can either throw out the Mail or call or send in for more info.

If you have Traditional Medicare and a supplement, you do not have to do anything.   You might want to look into your RX coverage to see if you have a plan that is the best for you. So you only need to worry about the RX plan.

If you have a Medicare Advantage Plan, it is more complicated.  You probably need to make sure that your plan is the best for you for the upcoming year.  

The easiest way to do this is to call your state's Medicare insurance helpline.  You will get free help from non-brokers who can help you navigate through this mess.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee 

Even if you arent yet Medicare age they will start harrassing you and tell you that you need to start "planning ahead" and they dont care if you are on a National and State Do Not Call List either..... 

I normally let my answering machine screen my calls and do not answer, and also delete voice mails left on my cell phone, one time a friend was looking up something for me and was calling me back so I thought it was her and picked up the phone....and it was a solicitor for health insurance coverage....I told her why would I do business with a company that doesn't  even obey the DO NOT CALL LAWS!!! and I hung up....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Fortunately, DH and I are staying with our same plans for 2020 and don't have to do anything this year. Our Part B supplement is with Physicians Mutual and our D is with WellCare...both excellent plans.
My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Respected Contributor

I never get any phone calls but I do get tons of mail which autonatically goes in the trash. I do need to change my Part D coverage as Humana has increased too much. But I just call my USAA rep and they do all the research for me. Even though I have heard some not so great reviews I am changing to Wellcare because I will be taking one fairly expensive drug for the next several months (Eliquis) and that plan gave me the lowest overall price. 

And the commercials are beyond annoying.

Esteemed Contributor

I had SCAN for 12-1/2 years - I thought it was an insurance company but found out they're administrators for Medicare - total shock. I paid $39/month and $10. each time I went to a doctor. Several months ago, I was in the hospital for 5 nights - and I received a bill for $2,000. (SCAN is a SCAM). I told my doctor about it - and he had me call the woman who handles all the insurance for his office staff. She came to my house - she's a free agent and could choose any insurance company. 

I chose Central Health Medicare Plan (CA). No more monthly premiums and free visits to the doctors. She said I didn't need a supplemental plan.

I suggest u call an insurance agent (who could recommend any insurance co.)