Honored Contributor

Re: I'm Not a Fan of Marie Kondo

[ Edited ]

I've never read Kondo's books. But I grew up in a bi-racial family with a Japanese mother. Seems my life was like living in a bento box. Everything in it's place, all organized and never over-stuffed with excess because when you can't put the lid on it then that's where trouble starts. Been a minimalist most of my life. The simplicity and basic function of daily things is what keeps the mind clear and free to be creative, the essence of being human.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee Have you ever seen a photo of Albert Einstein's home? It seems not everyone needs simplicity to be creative, some are creative among lots of things that some see as clutter.

Trusted Contributor

@chiclets  Love it. My DH is convinced George Carlin stole his "stuff concept" from him

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am glad she is becoming a celeb.  I read her book about 4-5years ago and found it very helpful.  I live in a small mid-century house with almost no storage (I am in FL and originally my neighborhood was snowbirds).  Few people were year round in the early 60s when it was built.

So I like so many things about my little house, but I had stuff bursting out at the drawers.  My kitchen--excellent storage.  Everywhere else?  2 closets, two lingerie chests. That is my storage.  I am storing books in the two other closets.

The book advised folding underwear to reduce the bulk and to show when supplies were low.  Once I folded the lingerie, socks, bras, etc in the chests, I applied the theory elsewhere.  I gave away or donated all objects I do not use--that are not family related.  I am no minimalist, so it was a slow process.  I don't think I made any mistakes.  I will not give pots and pans away, but vases I have never used?  Surely.  People with cats have no business hoarding vases unless they have connections with family members.

She counseled "Don't buy storage units."  "Discard" instead.  I did what I could: after 20 years in the house, several carloads to the hospital thrift shop.  What a big difference. 

On clothes storage: once you set up this folding regimen it takes no more time than dumping the fresh laundry into a drawer.  It makes space,

I agree this kind of thing is optional for folks with a lot of space, but if storage is not plenteous, it helps you find what you have, and quickly.  This has been a few years.  There is an initial time investment, and then, it's just a habit, like a work-out schedule or a diet. 

It's kind of a consumer-products diet.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never been big into clutter though I am by no means a minimalist.  I like my "stuff", within reason.

I read her book when it first came out and thought it was terrific.  For me, the most help was from the organizing tips.  I'm extremely organized by nature, but have incorporated several of her techniques into our house.  I really didn't need to follow her methods for an entire house declutter, but the way she suggests you go about it is really good.  Start with the things that more than likely you have less emotion about, clothes, and then work your way up to the more difficult items (paper, mementos, sentimental items).

I fold the items in my dressers now and stand them up.  SO much better than having them flat.  That way, I just about always reached for the item on top.  Now I can see everything that's in there and I wear my clothes more often.  AND, see those clearly that I don't reach for.

I arrange the hanging clothes in my closet by color.  I think she suggests darker to lighter, but mine are arranged with all the light colors first, by color and then darker because that's what I prefer.

I DO look at my possessions now when I'm decluttering and ask if they bring joy.  Well, maybe not LITERALLY ask it out loud, but it's my thought process when I look at an item.  It can be a real eye opener to do that, especially if you have trouble parting with things.

I've watched her Netflix series and thought it was just "ok".  The episodes are too short and edited so that you never really see the ENTIRE Konmari process and how it works.

There are things that she suggests that I don't do (like emptying my purse each night- no way).

Oh, and if I'm getting rid of a large item that maybe I've had for years, I DO thank it when I get rid of it.  I thought that was kind of crazy at first but I like it.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I got rid of everything that did not spark joy i would have a pretty empty place! I mean hardly anything at all would be left! Plus nothing left to wear!

I have never seen her show ( I dont have netflix) or read her book. I never even heard of her until two days ago on Instagram lol.

DO you all put your things in the jars and containers like she does and take the items from original containers? I dont do this.

Respected Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

If I got rid of everything that did not spark joy i would have a pretty empty place!!!

...which is exactly the point, I believe.

Honored Contributor

Related image

I haven't read the book. I just know of the folding technique.
Honored Contributor

I am reminded of George Carlin’s routine “Stuff.”
Honored Contributor

Oh. Nevermind. I didn’t see all the responses. Someone already mentioned it!😂