Honored Contributor

I'm Not a Fan of Marie Kondo

I read her book. I'm sure it will help a lot of people.

I taught in Japan. Their homes are small. A lot of rooms are used for more than one purpose. One of the rooms I taught in became a bedroom at night. They really don't have a lot of stuff. That's because foreigners like me come home with most of it! Smiley Wink

It's just not for me. I should ask if some of my clothes spark joy. I have way too many, but I like it that way.

I read that one woman changed her life after reading the book. She discovered what she needed and what she didn't. She asked everything in her house if it sparked joy --- and she got a divorce! Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm Not a Fan of Marie Kondo

[ Edited ]

@beach-momYou are right.  Japanese look at possessions differently than we do.  They do have little living spaces.  Apts are as small as my den.  They share baths, or go to a public bath.  The rooms are clean because they can cook where they sleep.  They also spend more time at work and community events.  Their clothes are practical, clean, and worn easy.  They take much better care of everything. They would never buy something, use it roughly, break it and buy new.  Now the younger generation is different and the women can be into labels, designers and parading their outfit on weekends like Harushuku girls but on the whole work is the center of their life. Living in Japan bigger Japanese cities is expensive, really expensive more so than here I think.  Japanese also honor leaving kids a nice inheritance.  I think on the whole most Japanese don't acquire a lot of new stuff like we do.  No garages to fill, sheds and many bedrooms closets to pack. . But I imagine in a small place they could collect all their things with clutter. .  I am just making a general assessment.  My husband is Japanese/american as were his parents.  My husbands grandparents came from Japan.   I do know many Japanese people who live and travel to Japan.

edited to add.  I have read Marie Kondos philosophy and theory, and many articles she wrote.  I bought her book, but scanned through it.  I did take away a way of looking at things, and started to let go of some things for the sake of streamlining and reducing clutter and junk.  One thing I did take away is how much time and energy hoarding, clutter and too many possessions take. It takes time to keep those things we dont need. The other thing I did take away was picking things up off the floor and treating my stuff with a little more respect and care.  Lol.

Super Contributor

thanks for the first laugh of the day!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know much about this lady.

Is this how she says one is suppose to clear the clutter, by asking everything in the house if it sparks joy?

Esteemed Contributor

I am not either.......My house is clean...but cluttered according t her....

Honored Contributor

I don't watch her show or read her books. But I know her philosophy and to me it's just another extreme. Just the  opposite extreme of too much clutter.

It's up to each person to decide what they can and cannot live with. I do feel good when I get rid of clutter but I know I could never live with such regimentation in the other direction. It would be very anxiety provoking. I'm happy with somewhere in the middle.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Trusted Contributor

I like "stuff."  IMO I am cut from the same cloth as Jacqueline Onassis. Someone once theorized that she liked to shop to deal with emotional issues.  I'll drink to that.  It isn't clutter and it all brings me joy.

Honored Contributor

I tried a few of the sock drawers,  it lasted a very short while.  I'm not going back to it.  I just won't thank things and I'm not attached to socks, they have no heart beat.

Honored Contributor

I've never heard of her, but it doesn't sound like I would enjoy her philosophies.

I like my home the way it is.  I don't have too much or too little.  

Honored Contributor

I like my organized clutter it gives me comfort

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.