Honored Contributor

Re: I'm Jumping the Covid Vaccine Line ; ]

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Even though I don't officially qualify to receive the vaccine in my area right now, I might get my Covid vaccine earlier than I'm "supposed to." Woman Very Happy

Now before you all yell at me, you should know that you and yours can do it too. There is a process for it.

I signed up to get notified of unused vaccines in my area by text. Then I respond within 15 minutes if I can make it, and I book my little fanny over to the location as fast as possible.

If anyone wants to know how I signed up and how I addressed my own concerns, I am happy to explain. I can try to answer some questions, though I'm not an expert on it.

This is the website: https://hidrb.com  Dr.B. It's been covered by several publications and news shows. It's for the whole country, not just certain areas.

You have to provide your name, date of birth, a phone number, email, and zip code. And then they ask you if you have certain qualifying health conditions or jobs that would put you at the front of the line.

If you want to use a throwaway email address and a Google Voice number (I did), that can provide some privacy, but you should give your real name, birth date, and zip code and be honest when answering the screening questions.

Hey, thanks @Linmo! It wasn't there the first time I read the post, so I appreciate the nudge to go back to it Smiley Wink

@Porcelain I might be misunderstanding this bit from the site FAQ, but this makes it seem like you can't actually jump the line?  Like I won't be eligible for one of these leftover doses until my risk group is eligible in my state...which right now is not true.

You will be alerted based on vaccine availability, your priority group, and the signup order of people in your priority group. This may take time and we ask that you remain patient. As long as you are signed up in the Dr. B database, you will receive an alert as soon as your risk group is eligible in your state and an unclaimed vaccination becomes available for you nearby.

I'm still going to sign up, so I'm in the queue as early as possible when my risk group is eligible.

That is a really good question. I sent in a question to their support team using my stats as an example. When I hear back, I'll let you know what they tell me. I do get the impression at this point that we are able to get the shots even if we don't fit into the current phase. It's just that anyone else who does, even if they sign up after us, gets to go first. If that's wrong, I'll definitely let you know what they say.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Thanks @Porcelain!  I'll be curious what you hear.  It could be that eligibility for these leftover unclaimed doses is determined differently.  Maybe a risk group that doesn't qualify for first-round eligibility might still be able to get a leftover dose, if there's nobody ahead of them in line who takes priority... 

Regular Contributor

Re: I'm Jumping the Covid Vaccine Line : ]

@JaneMarple wrote:

Even though my state of Massachusetts has been a nightmare, regarding the vaccine rollout, the sites l online lets you know which vaccine will be given.  

So there's that.    

Honored Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

Thanks @Porcelain!  I'll be curious what you hear.  It could be that eligibility for these leftover unclaimed doses is determined differently.  Maybe a risk group that doesn't qualify for first-round eligibility might still be able to get a leftover dose, if there's nobody ahead of them in line who takes priority... 

@WenGirl42 That's what I'm hoping for. I haven't heard any answer back from Dr. B yet. I mean, the primary focus is to use the shots up and not let them go to waste. It wouldn't make sense to withhold them if we're the next ones available to get them.

At least I feel like I'm doing something while waiting for my local eligibility group...that's my attitude about it at the moment. Everyone I've mentioned Dr. B to has been supportive, so that's quite nice.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

While I think it's better for the vaccine to be given to someone rather than waste it, I do think those who actually qualify and are eligible should be contacted first.  I'm not sure how feasible that is.  I live in Ohio and I don't know of any waitlist one can be put on to get vaccines that won't be administered.  I do know pharmacies have told people to come towards the end of the day and see if there are any left-overs.  If there is such a waitlist, it's a pretty good kept secret because there have been a lot of complaints on the governor's social media pages about the fact that he keeps opening up eligibility but there are still people who qualified during the first couple of phases who haven't been able to get an appointment.

I became eligible last Thursday and was able to get an appointment for a vaccine Friday.  I went to our county health department and they listed all of the various places where they (the health dept.) were giving out the vaccines.  Initially when I checked first thing in the morning, all of them were full.  I looked again right before noon and 3 sites had opened up.  2 of the sites were newly added.

Every vaccine site listed which vaccine you would be getting.  One of the newly added sites was the J&J vaccine.  All the others were Moderna.

If you sign up at any pharmacies, etc., you don't know what you will be getting.  I started that process early Thursday morning. You signed up and took your chances.  There is also going to be a mass vaccination site in Cleveland and again, it doesn't say what they will be giving.