Respected Contributor

Re: I'm Jumping the Covid Vaccine Line : ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

While it is good not to waste it, I thought they are supposed to go down the list of those who are eligible.  I am sure there are many of them still waiting for appointments and would be able to get there in time.

It makes sense to me that to receive a [likely] system-generated text about last-minute availability, you have to opt in by signing up for this specific notification service...which anyone who is eligible, waiting, and available will likewise be able to do. 

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

That'll probably work if you spend your days with a cell phone glued to your fingertips.

@Kachina624 

Guess it’s a matter of how much one wants to be vaccinated.

Would be glad to carry my phone around and be available, to have my COVID vaccine.

@Porcelain 

I got my vaccines in a similar manner.  

DH had an appt. for it on Sat. AM at 7:15.  He is age qualified in our area, I was not.  He asked if I could get an appt.  They told him to bring me and I could wait because they already had 10 cancellations.  I went along, waited while they called to see if anyone on the list could come fill in the spaces.  Guess it was too early, only as 3 people came right in.  Then they called me, and I was very gratefully vaccinated.

Congratulations.

Congratulations to you too!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@gidgetgh    Your daughter should check and make sure it's okay to have surgery so close to having received the vaccine.

@Kachina624 - my sister cleared it with the surgeon, her kidney doctor and regular doctor. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

my friend went for her shot...her adult son...not qualified....went with her....it was late in the day....they had extra vaccines that were not used....they offered him the shot....he took it!  i have heard that if they have unused vaccine....they try to use it up....instead of letting it go to waste.....

Honored Contributor

The governor of N.J. & his sidekick, the head of N.J. health dept Judy something are ******.  It has come to their attention that a lot of people are canceling their 2nd dose appointments as well as their first doses to wait for the J&J 1 dose vaccine.

Judy whatever her last name is, stated "if you cancel your appt, you will be placed in the back of the queue.  It's better to take whatever vaccine is available.  The next batch of J&J will not be for another 3 weeks."

This whole thing is a big fat mess.  At least in N.J.  You DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE of which vaccine to take.  You must take whatever the various pharmacies or massive vaccine sites gives you.  From what I am hearing, you don't know which vaccine until you get there.  Walgreens will let you know when you sign up directly w/them.

Me personally......I'll wait however long it takes for J&J to become available w/o waiting. Chillin.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain. Good for you.  Yes, I've heard this is being done.  A volunteer at one clinic told me that she got her shot in a similar manner.  At the end of appt hours, if there are any shots available due to no shows or whatever, the health official in charge asks if anyone working on site wants the shot.  If any shots are still available,  they can suggest people to call from the waiting list.  Certainly much better than wasting the vaccine.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

The governor of N.J. & his sidekick, the head of N.J. health dept Judy something are ******.  It has come to their attention that a lot of people are canceling their 2nd dose appointments as well as their first doses to wait for the J&J 1 dose vaccine.

Judy whatever her last name is, stated "if you cancel your appt, you will be placed in the back of the queue.  It's better to take whatever vaccine is available.  The next batch of J&J will not be for another 3 weeks."

This whole thing is a big fat mess.  At least in N.J.  You DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE of which vaccine to take.  You must take whatever the various pharmacies or massive vaccine sites gives you.  From what I am hearing, you don't know which vaccine until you get there.  Walgreens will let you know when you sign up directly w/them.

Me personally......I'll wait however long it takes for J&J to become available w/o waiting. Chillin.gif

I can respect that. You have every right to that.

I'm the opposite with my preference. I want the heavier duty Moderna/Pfizer protection if I can get it. But if I get there and they have the J & J in the syringe I will roll up my sleeve and take it.

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Even though my state of Massachusetts has been a nightmare, regarding the vaccine rollout, the sites l online lets you know which vaccine will be given.  

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

Even though my state of Massachusetts has been a nightmare, regarding the vaccine rollout, the sites l online lets you know which vaccine will be given.  

That's good. With Dr. B it doesn't let you choose the type of vaccine, but I guess they let you know which one it will be if they can. So if the person wanted a specific brand they could let the text pass them by if it indicated one they didn't want.

From the FAQ

"Can I choose which vaccine brand I get?

No. Because Dr. B is for doses that become available unexpectedly, you will receive the vaccine the provider has available. When possible, we will relay this information to you in the text message alert."

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain  That's not jumping the line at all. I got my second Pfizer this morning.DH gets his in 2 weeks.

My girlfriend & her husband had trouble scheduling theirs. Her niece whose a nursing home administrator called her one evening.She said that they had extra vaccine that they would have to toss unless they could find people to give it to. She & her husband raced down to the nursing home & got their shots. I was so glad for them.