Esteemed Contributor

Re: I'm Jumping the Covid Vaccine Line : ]

@Porcelain wrote:

Good for you . I'd much rather see the vaccine administered  than it being disposed of.  In my area ,

I keep receiving weekly notices that they have vaccine available  but need people to register to receive  the vaccine. So, it's still a shame that there are many who are in the category age 65-80+  who  have not navigated the  frustrating  process  or who were waiting  to see how  many people fared well  after receiving the vaccine. I have friends  who are 65-  80+ yrs and  are determined to wait till their PCP can administer the J&J in the office. I have encouraged them to get whatever covid 19 vaccine  they can  now as quickly as possible.

Honored Contributor

That'll probably work if you spend your days with a cell phone glued to your fingertips.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Porcelain   Way better than letting a dosage go to waste.  I know that's being done in my area of Florida although I don't know just what the procedure is or if there is even the same procedure from site to site.

The day I got my first shot, the pharmacy suffered a computer breakdown.  They were overwhelmed trying to get to everyone, get all the required paperwork checked in, and work in such a way they didn't up up opening a vial and having to discard vaccine at the end of the evening.  

What is easy when it goes as expected can turn chaotic in an instant.

It takes good organization skills in emergencies.

Honored Contributor

Next week I will receive my vaccine in the lounge area of my senior apt. building.  There are 3 buildings on campus with all seniors plus one club house/mgt. office.  Luckily, mgt. was able to have whoever (I don't know who) to give vaccines for residents that signed up for a vaccine.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh    Your daughter should check and make sure it's okay to have surgery so close to having received the vaccine.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

That'll probably work if you spend your days with a cell phone glued to your fingertips.

It's a nationwide service with over 1.4 million people signed up so far. I gave them a Google Voice number because I don't give out my personal number to places like that. I get texts forwarded to my tablet, computer, and phone screens. So my chances of seeing it are pretty good. Now whether I'll be available to rush out and do it at the time is another matter.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain Nothing wrong with that. It's been widely promoted here in WA state. It prevents doses from being wasted and that's a good thing.

Esteemed Contributor

While it is good not to waste it, I thought they are supposed to go down the list of those who are eligible.  I am sure there are many of them still waiting for appointments and would be able to get there in time.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Even though I don't officially qualify to receive the vaccine in my area right now, I might get my Covid vaccine earlier than I'm "supposed to." Woman Very Happy

Now before you all yell at me, you should know that you and yours can do it too. There is a process for it.

I signed up to get notified of unused vaccines in my area by text. Then I respond within 15 minutes if I can make it, and I book my little fanny over to the location as fast as possible.

If anyone wants to know how I signed up and how I addressed my own concerns, I am happy to explain. I can try to answer some questions, though I'm not an expert on it.

@Porcelain , there was a report last night on the news about this. One other way to jump the line were those with concierge medicine. My kids received the vaccine before my husband and I did, actually. 

This way of doing it is trying to make it more equitable and equal to everyone. I was very honest about the fact that I did not qualify for any of the priority screening questions they asked. So if someone has a health issue or works in a more dangerous job, they will get first dibs on the shots before I will.

That makes me feel much better about grabbing the opportunity if/when it does come my way.

It is wonderful to see them be able to do this @Porcelain.  When they first started with the vaccination process this was a really challenge for any site giving the vaccine.

The Pfizer vaccine must be diluted and after it is diluted you only have 6 hours or you must waste it. The clock starts ticking the minute they put that diluent in the vial. 

Since some of the first sites to start vaccinating were hospitals so they could get their health care peeps taken care of, they typically would have to put calls out at the end of the day to anyone else so they could use the vaccine.  That resulted in hospital administrators and others being accused on jumping the line when in fact it was a desperate attempt to get that vaccine into arms that day before it expired.

Online registration systems for the mass public were not really set up then so they didn't have a way to offer it to others in the 1a category.  Even at mass vaccination sites you have no shows, but then had no way to contact others that quickly to get them in to be vaccinated.  So the offer went up to others coming with parents, etc. for them to be vaccinated.

Now they have their footing underneath them and many have worked through the software registration issues so they can do something like let you opt in when the situation arises they have doses that need to be administered.  So no need for you to feel guilty one bit!  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 

Guess it’s a matter of how much one wants to be vaccinated.

Would be glad to carry my phone around and be available, to have my COVID vaccine.

@Porcelain 

I got my vaccines in a similar manner.  

DH had an appt. for it on Sat. AM at 7:15.  He is age qualified in our area, I was not.  He asked if I could get an appt.  They told him to bring me and I could wait because they already had 10 cancellations.  I went along, waited while they called to see if anyone on the list could come fill in the spaces.  Guess it was too early, only as 3 people came right in.  Then they called me, and I was very gratefully vaccinated.

Congratulations.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras