Honored Contributor

Re: I'm In A Funk

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 

I'm so sorry. 

Please be aware that grief has stages that need to be worked through. 

You need to get out and do things with a friend or two and stay active. 

If you feel like you can't climb out, after this amount of time,  you will need to contact your physician.  Sometimes when there is a prolonged period of grief, the brain quits making certain essential chemicals essential for well being because of the weight being carried.

Calling your doctor won't hurt anything.

I will keep you in my prayers. 

Super Contributor

@Jaspersmom Wise words.

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2  I'm sorry you've having such a difficult time. If you do decide you want to speak with someone there's many options to help those dealing with grief.  Most hospitals have grief counseling, religious organizations too, there's also many online forums just for grief issues where people share their stories and feelings with others going through the same thing.  You're not alone.

Unpacking all those emotions can make a huge difference, almost  immediately.  I know from personall experience it's hard to take that first step but remember that counselors have heard everything!  They really want to help others have a better, happier life.

Just know that we're here for you.  May tomorrow be a better day.  Sending you a big virtual hug {{{{{{{{{{{Heart}}}}}}}}}}}.  

Esteemed Contributor

I lost loved ones some decades ago.  I still miss them dearly, to point sometimes I cry.  I will grieve the lost of them for the rest of my life.  Feeling sad is normal.

For my bday, I don't depend on family.  I have a close knit group of friends and a special person who I can celebrate with on my bday.

Plan something with your friends.  Do you something that you have wanted to do or go some place you have always wanted to go.

@Jordan2 

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2   Losing beloved family members isn't something you just "get over".  Everyone has their own way of dealing with it.  You have a right to your feelings.  Be easy on yourself. For me,  spending time outside helps with being depressed.  Listening to the birds and seeing fields and trees gives me comfort. I hope you find something to bring you peace.  

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 Sending thoughts and prayers to you.  It's very difficult to lose a loved one, but even more difficult to be the caretaker for them and lose that part of your life as well.   Please remember all of the happy times that you shared with your family and the positive things that you did for your mom before she passed.  I remember your previous posts when she passed and you are an amazing daughter and human being!  You should focus on doing things for yourself now.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2  First, my condolences.  I am so sorry that you have had such a difficult time.  Grief does not have a timeline, but it might be good for you to find someone, either a grief counselor or religious person, who can help you.  I do understand about not feeling comfortable talking to a stranger as I am just like you in that regard, and it is not easy to put those feelings aside.

It is hurtful when you hear of other family members planning parties and nothing is being done for you.  I have no idea whether you have pets, volunteer, or have a hobby that enjoy, but being with other people and doing something that you like is very important for your mental health.  

I also have no idea of your age or whether you work or even if you have a close friend.  What I would suggest is to really take care of yourself.  Make a list of things that you would like to do and start checking them off.  Do the things that you put off while you took care of your mother.  Spend a day at the spa, go to a museum that you think that you would enjoy, see a play, take a walk at the park.  Start living your life for you, and I hope that next year this time that you will let us know how you are doing, which I hope is very well.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

Great advice here and I agree with your sentiments🙂

I don't know anyone personally here but many here give me great advice & sounds crazy -- friendships...

My spouse bday is the day before mine -- he doesn't "celebrate" bdays ☹️ Why?? his mother passed on his bday at the exact time he was born ☹️☹️.  From That day forward he never wanted to  "celebrate", in fact, the worst is he hardly recognizes mine so you know what I do (because he's selfish) I plan something for ME!  And I buy at Publix a small cake decorated for ME!

At first, it upset me for years but I had to realize the choice he made won't affect my happiness --he actually hates all special occasions and holidays.  I'm just the opposite the more the merrier 🙂🙂

I have wonderful family and kids ...I miss them every minute esp. my granddaughter.  My older son is coming w/her to visit this year as my spouse is "ill" and I've a life changing 1.5 years to celebrate with me.  Then my younger son & closest cousins are coming the following week for 3 days.

My advice is find something you enjoy and treat yourself to a fun day and buy a bday cake put a candle on it, lite it & make a wish🎂.  Freeze the rest and have it when you feel like a "celebration day" -- that's what I do🙂

Happy Birthday these are for you🎂🎈🎁🎉💓

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm so sorry. Heart

It took me a couple years to start feeling better after my dad died.  My level of functioning was not good.  I still feel a sense of grief, because apparently he was the one who held the family together.

If someone told me 7 years ago that soon my dad would get sick and die, my brother would transition to female, I would be physically disabled, and my family would be broken, I would not have believed them.  

I can relate to feeling left behind/not important. 

My sister has not spoken to me since I got my P.O.T.S. diagnosis.  I told her I may have to use a wheelchair at times, and I guess that was all it took for her to decide I am not worth knowing.  My mom said my sister "has a thing about wheelchairs."  I don't know what that means, other than I don't have a sibling anymore.

My mother was telling me about their upcoming trip to Hawaii.  She made a big deal of the fact that they were inviting my sister's ex-spouse..."so she won't feel left out."  She likes to say things like that and see if they upset me.  If I act upset, she will say the same thing again at a later date.  If I don't, she won't.

The past 6 or so years have been full of grief.  I have been in a daze for much of it, and I am just now beginning to wake from this prolonged state of feeling foggy. 

I know our stories are different, but you are not alone in feeling sadness, grief, and lack of joy.  I'm so sorry.  I hope you will start to feel better soon. Hugs to you, @Jordan2 . 💜💜💜

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 , I am sorry for your loss.  It is a difficult time coming to terms with someone's loss, especially your mom.  

When I lost my brother to cancer, I made a memory garden for him.  For me, having some structure to the day is important.

Perhaps a female counsellor might be a good idea, easier to open up to.  Could you ask your family doctor for a referral?

Whatever path you choose to take, I am sending you a cyber hug and best wishes.  LM