Honored Contributor

Re: I'm Hoping Some of You Can Help, Please

@ID2 wrote:

@Julie928 wrote:

Any of you who may "know" me are aware that there have been issues with our nextdoor neighbors.  Tonight was bad.  Really bad.  There were so many kids in their driveway I couldn't count them all.  The screaming and screeching was awful.  I called the mom over and asked her to please tone it down.  She just looked at me and said 'What?  Why'?  She said nothing to the kids and the screaming continued.  (These are the people with the plastic roller coaster in the driveway).  I should also mention there is only 12 ft between our house and the property line.  At this point I told the kids to stop screaming.  The screaming increased, this time obviously on purpose as it got worse.  I even saw the kids cupping their hands over their mouths aiming their screams towards our windows.  I called the police.  I have had enough.  Apparenty one of the other neighbors has had enough too because the officer mentioned they had another complaint while she was on her way here.  I get that kids are loud when they play.  I get it.  This is no ordinary playtime.  This is screaming to the point it sounds like they need an exorcism.  I have tried so hard to keep the peace.  I talk to the wife, give treats to their dogs (who bark at the wind, by the way) and have given gifts to their kids.  Just three days ago the daughter who is 6 wanted to come over to see our yard.  She wanted to see the fairy garden and the fish in our pond.  I had her and her 2 toddler brothers and the mother over.  I held my tongue while the kids did their best to turn my yard upside down.  I just grinned and beared it because I don't want to fight.  Now this.  Oh!  And the best part?  They told the officer that I threatened their kids!!!  I NEVER, NEVER did that!  The officer told me she doesn't believe them for a minute.  Thank God for that.  Long story short, all I can do is keep calling the police when the noise gets intense.  I am going to go to City Hall tomorrow to see if I can speak to someone about a noise ordinance violation, and my husband knows someone on the city council that may be able to help.  (This was at the suggestion of the police officer).  I literally feel sick.  The stress is taking it's toll.  Now I worry about them doing something to retaliate.  Tomorrow I am going out and purchasing a hunting camera and installing one or two in our yard.  This way I will have proof should they do something.  I am also going to record the noise should it get to the point we go to court.  I'm sorry this is so long but I'm so upset.  I want to move but my husband doesn't want to and honestly, why should we leave?  Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.  If any of you have dealt with a situation like this I would really like to hear how you handled it. 

Remember, paragraphs are your friend. I can't read this.

GEE, this comment was not needed.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Hi Julie,

I am always sorry for anyone who's peace is disturbed in their own home.  No one has suggested this yet but maybe recording what is happening and having your nearest TV channel air the video of the problem might put enough pressure on them and your neighbors to change the situation.  A picture (or video) is worth a thousand words.

Usually neighbors don't want to get involved unless the problem is right outside their door but seeing it might make them more empathetic twards you. Then all of you could ask for help with the athorities.

I am trusting you will let us know that you have good news to share with us soon and the problem will be solved for good.  Good luck and stay healthy & strong.

Cathy

Esteemed Contributor

One persons screaming is another children playing.  No amount of calling the police, attorneys etc is going to change that if they do not see the problem.  It will only cause animosity towards you and likely escalate the problem.  You need to work out a compromise and at times just learn to deal with the noise,  No one is going to be 100% satisfied.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

@Julie928 wrote:

Any of you who may "know" me are aware that there have been issues with our nextdoor neighbors.  Tonight was bad.  Really bad.  There were so many kids in their driveway I couldn't count them all.  The screaming and screeching was awful.  I called the mom over and asked her to please tone it down.  She just looked at me and said 'What?  Why'?  She said nothing to the kids and the screaming continued.  (These are the people with the plastic roller coaster in the driveway).  I should also mention there is only 12 ft between our house and the property line.  At this point I told the kids to stop screaming.  The screaming increased, this time obviously on purpose as it got worse.  I even saw the kids cupping their hands over their mouths aiming their screams towards our windows.  I called the police.  I have had enough.  Apparenty one of the other neighbors has had enough too because the officer mentioned they had another complaint while she was on her way here.  I get that kids are loud when they play.  I get it.  This is no ordinary playtime.  This is screaming to the point it sounds like they need an exorcism.  I have tried so hard to keep the peace.  I talk to the wife, give treats to their dogs (who bark at the wind, by the way) and have given gifts to their kids.  Just three days ago the daughter who is 6 wanted to come over to see our yard.  She wanted to see the fairy garden and the fish in our pond.  I had her and her 2 toddler brothers and the mother over.  I held my tongue while the kids did their best to turn my yard upside down.  I just grinned and beared it because I don't want to fight.  Now this.  Oh!  And the best part?  They told the officer that I threatened their kids!!!  I NEVER, NEVER did that!  The officer told me she doesn't believe them for a minute.  Thank God for that.  Long story short, all I can do is keep calling the police when the noise gets intense.  I am going to go to City Hall tomorrow to see if I can speak to someone about a noise ordinance violation, and my husband knows someone on the city council that may be able to help.  (This was at the suggestion of the police officer).  I literally feel sick.  The stress is taking it's toll.  Now I worry about them doing something to retaliate.  Tomorrow I am going out and purchasing a hunting camera and installing one or two in our yard.  This way I will have proof should they do something.  I am also going to record the noise should it get to the point we go to court.  I'm sorry this is so long but I'm so upset.  I want to move but my husband doesn't want to and honestly, why should we leave?  Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.  If any of you have dealt with a situation like this I would really like to hear how you handled it. 

Remember, paragraphs are your friend. I can't read this.

GEE, this comment was not needed.

The "are your friend" phrase gets old.

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

STories like this make me so glad I live in a over 55 age restricted neighborhood.  peace and quiet galore!!!

I used to think this , also, till I spoke to a lady who lived in one of those places and said that it doesn't make any difference if they don't enforce the rules.

This gal said the kids of the folks who live there usually come home and bring their kids with 'em , so, your right back where you started.

Rules they have, but, if they're not enforced it's a paper tiger.

Valued Contributor

A person is bullied in their own home by a neighbor...

and a cyber warrior wants correct punctuation and paragraphs.

smells like justice to me....

Honored Contributor

never ends does it ?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ Montana - 5 cars, 5 drivers and apparently too dumb to realize that if they cleaned the kr@p out of the carport they could put the car belonging to the kid away at college under and not have to play musical cars or park in front of other peoples houses.

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter  Depending on how he feels about his car, I would turn the sprinklers on.  It might take a while but maybe he'll figure it out.....

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@CelticCrafter  Depending on how he feels about his car, I would turn the sprinklers on.  It might take a while but maybe he'll figure it out.....

@CAcableGirl2 - I've thought about it given the fact that he has a habit of leaving the passenger window open all the time! Smiley Wink