Respected Contributor

Re: I'm Hoping Some of You Can Help, Please

It always makes me shake my head at people who say "just move". Right. When you own a home, you can't just pick up and move. 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

@TenderMercies wrote:

@SouthFlorida321 wrote:

@Julie928 another way to go is hire an attorney if the city won't help.   Yes, it will cost some money but will be cheaper in the long run than a move.  I know two people going through the same thing.  Police were called numerous times, nothing resolved, and then one party got an attorney.  Then the other neighbor had to get one too.  It would most likely go into mitigation and be resolved then.

For some reason the offender has now quieted down since attorneys have gotten involved. The lawyer thing seems to have done the trick!  No one wants to dig into their pocket for legal counsel.Smiley Happy

This is a really good idea.  I was involved with something vaguely similar and had the prosecuting attorney in my city send a letter to the offender, and it freaked him out and made him stop.  After filing a police report, I was told by the police to set up a meeting with the prosecuting attorney.  I just called their office and set up an appointment with an assistant who reviewed my evidence and helped facilitate the letter.

YEs @TenderMercies Attorneys and pending lawsuits (money) can rectify the situation in it's tracks.

Trusted Contributor

@SouthFlorida321 & @TenderMercies ~ That is an excellent idea!  Tomorrow I plan on going to City Hall to hopefully speak with someone that can point me in the right direction.  Then I am off to purchase a video camera and a recorder.  Let them be loud.  The louder they are, the better my case.  Right now, 9:20 pm they are letting their dogs bark and bark right outside our window.  I only wish I had something to record all of this.  They aren't smart people and will eventually shoot themselves in the foot.  Just look at what happened to their poor cat.  I plan on just keeping to myself and gathering evidence.  No chatting, arguing, trying to reason and no more gifts, lol!!!  Thank you everyone for responding.  I'm off to read a bit before going to sleep.  I am feeling much better now.  Goodnight and thank you. 

Respected Contributor

@Julie928 Great.  Most times it only takes one strong threatening letter from your attorney to the offending neighbor to settle the dispute.  Geat a good night's sleep and take it "one day at a time".  This will be resolved.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Also, if the parents are not paying attention to their kids while outside near a busy street, and they are young enough for it to be unsafe or they are without general parental supervision, then I would call the Department of Child Services.  They will come and check on the welfare of those kids, including the state of the house and how their kids are being taken care off.  That might put the scare into them.

I would avoid them and don't try to kill them with kindness, obviously, they have zero respect for others, so your kindness isn't going to get you anywhere with clueless, and inconsiderate neighbors.

I used to live at the end of a street and had similar neighbors move in right next door when the new development went in.  They would have parties ever single weekend that lasted until at least 3 or 4 in the morning with loud music, smoking pot, yelling and screaming.  Cops would show up, it would tone down and once they left, back to partying loud as ever.  It continued until one morning about 6 am, my husband started dropping and moving metal pipes as loud as he could right next to the fence nearest to where their bedrooms were.  That was it, and no more loud parties.  I wouldn't recomment that, but I would get cameras installed as soon as possible. 

I wish you luck. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

Haven't read all the replies but @Julie928, I wanted to tell you I'm sorry you have to deal with this, as I've been there.

Follow the law to the letter, and use every asset at your disposal (like the friendship of the council person) to get every enforcement within the law.

Watch your back (and your property). Great idea to get cameras up, but try not to let them see you install them, or they will disappear. Watch your outdoor things and keep your doors and windows locked when not home.

Stop all interactions with the kids and have none of them on your property. If it gets ugly some people will try anything to 'get' you (like pretend to get hurt on your property and sue you for instance, or say one of the kids did). 

It's a shame when you put your money, heart and soul into a property to have to live around such inconsiderate and hateful people.

My first home was next door to a small quiet church.....until they put a day care in the basement, and we had 50 screaming kids literally in our back yard five days a week, beginning at 5:30 am. No amount of talking to the church elders did a thing. We were told that we should ask forgiveness for not loving the sound of God's children playing. I offered the elders to come live with us for just one week, and see who needed to ask for forgiveness. 

The daycare was run by the local hospital for their employees  (one of the largest employers in our town at that time), and had the city in their pocket when it came to noise violations, etc. We had always wanted to move, but this pushed us out much sooner than we might have gone. It was such a shame to have our dream home rendered nearly unusable at times. 

I hope that enough neighbors put the heat on them as well, and chances are they will stop or move if enough people stand up and make it tough on them. 

Hope it all turns out well for you.

Honored Contributor

It is too bad that your neighbors are on the loud side but the weather is about to change and they should be moving inside.The children are in school during the day so there has to be some peace then.People are noisy and so are the pets...best to learn to tolerate so that you don't ruin your health by getting angered and stressed.You have tried to quiet them but it doesn't seem successful so now you are the only one who is miserable...don't allow yourself to be this miserable.

Trusted Contributor

I guess I would lock up all the doors and windows and stay in the house with the A/C cranked up. That should do the trick. Unfortunately for you, if you want peace and quiet outdoors you may have to leave your yard and go to a local park.

Sometimes I swear people like these were either born on a farm and/or were raised by animals. 

dee

Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

It always makes me shake my head at people who say "just move". Right. When you own a home, you can't just pick up and move. 

@catwhisperer

I own my house and I would move for my own peace of mind.  You can always pickup and move if it is important to you.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Julie928 wrote:

@SharkE ~ Love it!  I guess they complained to the officer about our generator.  We have a whole house generator that runs once a week for 20 minutes.  I asked the cop about it and she told me if they call about it there's nothing the police will do.  They might come out, but that's about it.  Oh, did I mention when the cop showed up the wife was outside laughing?  I'm not being funny here ~ I think there's something wrong with that woman.  For reasons I won't bore you with, I haven't been feeling well.  I don't need this stress in my life.  Last night after washing my hair my hair was coming out in clumps.  This has been a great source of stress for me for quite some time.  I simply don't know what to do.  Feeling powerless is the abolute worst. 

Oh my, you are getting physically ill over this, please see your doctor, he or she can give you something to help you until this mess is fixed.  I feel for you, it just is not right when you own a house and can't live in it peacefully because of

inconsiderate neighbors.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam