Honored Contributor

Re: I'm Hoping Some of You Can Help, Please

Unfortunately, you can't legislate taste and manners. Sounds like it would be hard to sell the house, too, unless the people were as low class as those.

If you can afford it move to a better neighborhood.

Pray for winter !

Honored Contributor

Sorry you are having these issues Julie. Stay in your yard and if the neighbors talk to you for any reason, be pleasant.  I think recording the noise may not be a bad idea.  Do it from inside your house.  Check when you go to talk to someone that there are no issues with you doing that.  If the kids ask to come over, say not today sweetie I have a busy schedule.  Best to stay away from the kids if the mother is claiming things.  Hope you can find a resolution from the police's suggestion.

Honored Contributor

I seriously don't think that there's anything you can do about it, especially when the noise is during the daytime.   It seems as though it's a trend for some kids to scream as soon as they exit their cars.  (Down my street). Keep in mind that I've never complained.  Sometimes it's playing basketball into the wee hours of the night, or throwing balls into our back yard (years ago).  All you can do, imo, is have patience to wait until they are grown and off to college, or off to somewhere else.   As long as the parents are on their kids' side, good luck.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I feel for you. I used to live next door to neighbors from h*ll. I kept calling the police. They would come out, but nothing was resolved. I tried talking to the home owner. Still had problems. So, I sent an anonymous letter to the Chief of Police at our local PD. That made a world of difference. The place was raided and arrests were made. Good luck.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

That was a drug issue she has a brat issue

Trusted Contributor

Ugh, I feel your pain.Woman Sad

I agree about putting up a fence, like 8 to 10 feet tall if you can do it.  People have no regard for others and it seems to be getting worse.

We have a "neighbor" who rents in my cousin's house.  They love to throw parties in the summer - music blasting until all hours.  We do have a 11p ordinance, including weekends, which helps.  But many times the police had been called and after they leave, the music blasts again.  And I, along with other neighbors, have spoken to my cousin about this - to no avail.

So sorry you are going thru this.  I agree with the fence or move!  Don't make yourself sick over it.

Esteemed Contributor

What a horrible situation to be in. It reminds me of some of the true stories on the TV show Investigation Discovery's "Neighbors from Hell" or something similar. You mentioned one other neighbor, but it would seem that the entire block needs to get involved with both law enforcement and City Hall. The more neighbors who complain would seem to make a bigger impact on the powers that be in your city. No one should have to put up with the conduct that you're experiencing, but I'd be very careful about confronting them in person since it looks like it makes matters worse. Would it be possible to enlist your other neighbors as a group to present what you have to City Hall or the police? Or at least get them to call the police too? You could also talk with an attorney to see if might be a legal issue that can be addressed. I wish you good luck with this terrible situation. Let us know if you find some help to resolve this. You're not in a good situation - please be careful.

Respected Contributor

@Julie928 wrote:

Any of you who may "know" me are aware that there have been issues with our nextdoor neighbors.  Tonight was bad.  Really bad.  There were so many kids in their driveway I couldn't count them all.  The screaming and screeching was awful.  I called the mom over and asked her to please tone it down.  She just looked at me and said 'What?  Why'?  She said nothing to the kids and the screaming continued.  (These are the people with the plastic roller coaster in the driveway).  I should also mention there is only 12 ft between our house and the property line.  At this point I told the kids to stop screaming.  The screaming increased, this time obviously on purpose as it got worse.  I even saw the kids cupping their hands over their mouths aiming their screams towards our windows.  I called the police.  I have had enough.  Apparenty one of the other neighbors has had enough too because the officer mentioned they had another complaint while she was on her way here.  I get that kids are loud when they play.  I get it.  This is no ordinary playtime.  This is screaming to the point it sounds like they need an exorcism.  I have tried so hard to keep the peace.  I talk to the wife, give treats to their dogs (who bark at the wind, by the way) and have given gifts to their kids.  Just three days ago the daughter who is 6 wanted to come over to see our yard.  She wanted to see the fairy garden and the fish in our pond.  I had her and her 2 toddler brothers and the mother over.  I held my tongue while the kids did their best to turn my yard upside down.  I just grinned and beared it because I don't want to fight.  Now this.  Oh!  And the best part?  They told the officer that I threatened their kids!!!  I NEVER, NEVER did that!  The officer told me she doesn't believe them for a minute.  Thank God for that.  Long story short, all I can do is keep calling the police when the noise gets intense.  I am going to go to City Hall tomorrow to see if I can speak to someone about a noise ordinance violation, and my husband knows someone on the city council that may be able to help.  (This was at the suggestion of the police officer).  I literally feel sick.  The stress is taking it's toll.  Now I worry about them doing something to retaliate.  Tomorrow I am going out and purchasing a hunting camera and installing one or two in our yard.  This way I will have proof should they do something.  I am also going to record the noise should it get to the point we go to court.  I'm sorry this is so long but I'm so upset.  I want to move but my husband doesn't want to and honestly, why should we leave?  Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.  If any of you have dealt with a situation like this I would really like to hear how you handled it. 

@Julie928  wow my heart goes out to you!  You are doing all the right things but sometimes people just don't WANT to get along...they don't CARE at all how their behavior may be effecting others.  The parents of these kids are teaching them that the world revolves around them and to have ZERO consideration for others.

If you are a praying person then that would be the only thing I see missing from what you are doing already and plan to do from here on out.  Pray for a solution...pray for wisdom going forward.  I'll keep you in my prayers.

Recording everything on video is such a great idea....and having security cameras....perfect.  

Honored Contributor

Every once in awhile I have a neighbor couple houses up that works on car engines. I got ear plugs, turned on the fan, stuff you can do yourself.

I live in a upscale middle class neighborhood though. 

I dread going to nursing home !  Be our next stop.

Honored Contributor

I wonder how many kids there were, how old and how noisey they really were, I find when you are not around kids, noise levels can differ widely

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.