Valued Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

Sadly, the scammers seem to target the older people.  A lady down the street from us was scammed.  She got a phone call stating her grandson was in the Carribean on one of the islands and had to be hospitalized.  They said she had to wire $3,000.00 to them so he could be treated.  So, she did!  Of course, after calling her son and finding out her grandson was at home she realized what happened.   Too late, the money was gone. 

Tell your older friends and family members not to answer the phone if a recognized number or name doesn't appear. People who don't have caller id are really susceptible.  

I seriously cannot believe calling her son didb't occur to her FIRST

old or not....

No wonder these people keep getting away it

Respected Contributor

If I don't recognize the phone #, I don't even answer. 99% of the time no message is recorded. Who knows, one of these days I might be surprised by having a cop on my front porch. Oh yeah, if I'm not expecting someone, I don't answer the door either. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner - Ask for a room with a view, lol. I get at least 10 phone calls every day on one number from numbers I don't recognize. On my business line I get about half that amount.

Drives me crazy. Riley1

Respected Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

If I don't recognize the phone #, I don't even answer. 99% of the time no message is recorded. Who knows, one of these days I might be surprised by having a cop on my front porch. Oh yeah, if I'm not expecting someone, I don't answer the door either. 

One reason I love the Ring doorbell.  I can see who is there no matter where I am (and there is video of the person if there is a problem.)

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Sooner

A word of advice.....whatever you do, DON'T PICK UP THE SOAP!

@KingstonsMom  It's so good to have WISE friends!  Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

I'm probably going to jinx myself, but for the last two weeks we haven't gotten any scammer calls. It has been quiet.

We do have nomorobo and caller ID, but the phone will still ring.  It just feels weird.  I wonder what is next.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner  LOL. I get the same  call from these scammers,good for nothing excuses of human beings , The same call comes numerous times a week. I have thankfully never owed one penny of back taxes.

I also get the call from " the computer experts" that say my computer is infected.

They want to take control of your computer and obtain banking information, passwords etc.There are  crooks constantly watching, waiting to get their next victim., usually vulnerable elderly foks. 

Respected Contributor

What a great sense of humor you ladies have.  I'm reading all the posts for the laughs I am getting as well as the good advice. 

I'm also making my list so I will know what to take when they come for me. Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama  This IS a fun and witty group isn't it?  We'll have a good time during our unfortunate incarceration at least! 

Respected Contributor

@Sooner

It is a wonderful group.   I can't imagine the laughter if everyone was put in the same room. Now that would be fun. 

Hey, I just had a thought.  What if they make us do telemarketing in prison?  Scam telemarketing, of course.  Smiley LOL