Trusted Contributor

Re: I'm Finally Ready to Order From Canada

Shame on the poster that insinuated ABC has used a "hidden message".

Have you ever heard of formularies with different tiers determined by a group of yukkity yuks? If not, perhaps you should read up on the subject. We have lost many freedoms but this nanny state example is a low blow because now we are talking life & death. And for Pete's sake please hold the snarkiness to one of our own, people.

dee

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  Let us know how this works for you.  We all need to know our options for meds.  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC This weekend I'm going to go on the website.  I have to tell you, I've been cleaning off a table where I pile many, many papers.  I save the prescription things that comes with the medicine.

Good grief!  Same medicine.  One started off $5.35 and it is now (less than a year later) $252!  I just got it filled and (it was same medicine, different brand, $138.  The counter guy almost flipped.  I said, "Look, that's a bargain for me!"

It is totally crazy.  On one hand I'm glad I have the money, but still, it's stupid, isn't it.  But especially when they totally refuse to even fill it (this has happened (I think now 4 times,  4 different medicines)....

I'll go on the websites tomorrow and check them out.  Thanks so much for everyone's help.  I totally trust all of you.  I feel like we can help each other.  Many of us are at the age when we need to take medicine.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  It makes absolutely no sense that the pharmacy refuses to fill it.  Just ask them not to run it through insurance.  If the doctor prescribed it they have to fill it if you're willing to pay full price.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack I've tried that before.  What other people don't realize is that the prices are then so inflated it's unbelievable.  Have you ever looked at (supposedly) the print-out of what your 'plan' pays, what you pay?  I do that.  You can't tell me that "supposedly" the medicine starts out at maybe (swear to you one says this) $900.  There is no way this medicine starts out at that price.  

I don't want to go into specifics because when I do I start getting emails for this medicine and that medicine.  But when they say "full price" it many hundreds of dollars.  I have actually paid that.  Here's an example, I don't know if I told you this....one of my medicines went from $5.18 in December 2015 to (last month) $252!  This was supposedly AFTER my plan paid whatever.....this was generic medicine, something many people take.  I didn't know it was going to be that much until I walked up to the counter....what if I hadn't had the money?  I'd be dead right now.

Another one 3/3/16-$3.00 generic - then on 6/16-$47.36.  That's with Medicare and another supplemental insurance!  I have already paid thousands and thousands of dollars (me, I paid it) so far....

On one hand I'm grateful I CAN pay it, but on the other hand I think, just because I can pay it, why should I have to pay it?

You should see the expressions on the faces of the people at the pharmacy when they look at what I have to pay!  They see some people come in there and it's $5 co-pay.  Then they see mine.  They tell me about people leaving their medicine on the counter saying they just don't have the money.  So sad.  

This is a country of  "The Haves" and "The Don't Have", more about medicine than anything.

Like I said, there is no insurance as good as if you worked for the US Government...I know, I have many friends who retired from the government.  Around here there are mostly government workers.  It's just not fair is what I'm saying.  Everyone should have access to the same benefits.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

If a person has a prescription and has no prescription insurance plan, doesn't the pharmacist fill it and charge the customer full price?

Why can't the pharmacist  fill your prescription without consulting your insurance if this is what you want?

Trusted Contributor

Most likely then can fill the RX. The problem is the cost of RX without insurnace is crazy.

I have expereinced this alot this year.

My current insurance will not cover a RX for my husband. The cost without insurance is over 800.00 per month. We cannot afford another 800.00 a month for one medicine.

I searched all the RX coupon websites and it is still out of reach for us.

I was glad to see all of this information here this morning. I will research all of them to see if I can't find a better price for my husband's RX.

Thanks @Annabellethecat66 for starting the thread.

Thanks to all who posted all the great information.    

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, i am turning 65 in december, so learning about medicare,and options are looming for me, if this insurance is medicare, what company do you have  your insurance with?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

If we order from Canada, aren't we taking jobs away from Americans?

As of this writing, there are several 'buy American', 'made in America" type of posts.  Wouldn't buying prescriptions fall under that same umbrella?

Honored Contributor

Medicare is crazy.  Did you know that when you have knee replacement Medicare does not cover you going to a rehab place?  They will have someone come into your home a few days but that's it.  Most old(er) people don't have anyone to help them when they get home.

I could not believe it.  I checked into it over and over and that's the way it works....no rehab place.  I was going to pay for mine myself but with me (because I have an immune problem my Dr doesn't want me to go anyway, too many germs.

As far as taking jobs away....Are you kidding me?  The poster is assuming this medicine is made in the United States....Ha!

I think it's terrible that they don't pay for people to go there after surgery.  So, once again Medicare people get (well insert the word you want) on.