Honored Contributor

Re: I'm Downgrading My Cell Phone

Makes sense to me!

Honored Contributor

Just thinking back, I was an early cell phone user. My first one was back late 1980s! It was like a brick and weighed as much as one!
Respected Contributor

I have had a flip phone since 2000.  When my original phone died I replaced it with another flip phone and have been very satisfied with my service.

Honored Contributor

My first cell phone was in 95 when my parents got very sick and I had to have a way the convalescent center could get in touch with me immediately.  Worked well and my second one was a flip phone (Motorola) which was an extremely good phone.

But once my son came home with an iPhone3, I was hooked hard!  I love real time electronics and when I jumped on the iPhone4, it had me at my first app!!  I'm up to a 6Plus (and love it) and will probably get one that has a hugely better camara as I do a lot of selling on eBay.  The eBay app allows me to deal with customers no matter where I am and the ability to research is phenomenal!  I have news channel apps, local weather app and even a COVID alert to my area (Weather app).  I even have books downloaded.... LOL... and yes, I make and take phone calls too!  

But I agree, if all you want to do is take phone calls or make them, there's no sense in having one.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

I don't blame you @Anonymous032819.  I periodically reflect upon the subscription services to determine whether or not I want to continue.  If you're not using the service, it certainly makes sense to cancel it.  

Honored Contributor

What about texting?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I can't imagine not having my Samsung S10.  I use it for everything.  It's great when I want to do a quick google without having to use my laptop. 

Trusted Contributor

I have the ability to text on my flip phone, just never used it lol.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I keep an older phone in my purse just for emergency only, have not used it in several years. No need for a phone attached to my hip or anywhere else. My DH adds me on to his plan from Consumer Cellular for next to nothing. 

@Shelbelle - Are you and your husband satisfied with Consumer Cellular?  I have been thinking about switching my service from Verizon to CC (I have a Samsung Galaxy 5).   I text only a few times a month and rarely use it for data.  Basically just use it for calling, but that is only when I am out.  We still have a LAN line and I have my laptop.  I think I am paying too much every month considering how little I use it.

Honored Contributor

Years ago I bought a TracFone and have bought many since.  Rarely use them so I've accumulated thousands of minutes since they come with free minutes.  I now have a nice smart phone which comes in handy often for its internet access.  I pay $50/yr for service and that's the extent of my cell phone expense.  This is my third year for using the same phone., which cost less than $80.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment