Esteemed Contributor

Re: I'm Done Trying To Find "Stuff."

@Suziepeach wrote:

My husband and I can't figure out what in the hail people are doing with all this "stuff"..  what did they do before this happened?  If they'd just buy their weekly groceries, everyone would have "stuff". 

Personally, I think every store should make "stuff" limited- there's no need to have 1200 rolls of tpaper, how much can one family S*** in one week, no more than before all of this..  Woman Wink

@Suziepeach 

While there is definite hoarding going on, think about how many people are at home instead of at work, or school. More TP, more food, and no weekly trips to the grocery store. Purchasing perhaps two weeks or a months worth of groceries. 

Valued Contributor

Pure alcohol, 100% has to be diluted down to 65-70 % to be effective. Any alcohol above 75% must be diluted with water or it doesn't work. With alcohol, more is not better. It won't work or kill the virus if it isn't diluted.

I had some rubbing alcohol in the house which I use to disinfect my gardening tools so I used that. Then I found pure laboratory alcohol (100%) on Amazon which I ordered about 8 quarts. I also ordered some aloe gell and small spray bottles.

I pour 2/3 cup of alcohol into a measuring cup and add 1/3 water. I pour that into the small spray bottles and give a squirt of aloe gel. I take it in my purse to spray the grocery carts, my keys, hands, steering wheel, etc.

Works well and it doesn't smell too bad.

Not sure if it hasn't sold out on Amazon.

My neighbor is a scientist and told me how to dilute it properly and how it will not work unless diluted.

Honored Contributor

I go early afternoon.  Lately, the stores look like shelves are well stocked.  I am not doing any large grocery shopping just enough for 1 week of meals.  So far, this has been working - tomorrow is my weekly shopping day so I maybe surprised.

I am not stocking up on anything.  And not looking for tp, paper towels, hand sanitizer, etc.

The best thing all the stores did was stop refunding for anything bought during this pandemic.  I can imagine the "stockpiles" people have!!!!

Although, went to super WM last week and they had all paper products.  The only store I've seen Charmin and Bounty which I will not buy they've increased prices substantially☹️

B9FBCADA-70AF-4577-B865-8473EC1731B4.jpegwalmart regular prices

62384B29-5EEB-4843-839D-6C9A1EF15FDB.jpeg

0E487C74-514B-4101-BF00-84FA940E2E55.jpegthis was at publix - disgraceful...

And my friend told me Publix prices esp. for meats is higher than it was before.  I also noticed the price of Boars Head lunch meat has  increased $2-3/lb.  No way, I'll find something else before I pay $13.99 for a lb. of BH turkey breast .

Of course, our area has not been impacted as other areas or States.  Frankly, you'd never know anything was happening until you see some people wearing masks and stores closed.

Respected Contributor

@bandaidinmysalad wrote:

@pitdakota Can you please tell me your opinion of hyperbaric oxygen therapy for illness. Thank you. 

I was just reading research last week on hyperbaric tx for COVID.  The short story is that it is MUCH more beneficial with much LOWER risks than ventilators.

Ventilators are effective for helping people breath but it does not solve the underlying problem of death in COVID pts.  To avoid fatal complications the solution(s) seem to be is getting oxygen in the cells (thus organs). The main complications that cause death in COVID pts is that their red blood cells can no longer carry oxygen throughout the body,  Hyperbaric chambers are highly effective for this.  

Trusted Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@cherry wrote:

This will work in a pinch. If you have any cologne you don't mind using , spritz some into your palm, and use it like hand sanitizer. It contains alcohol. I read an article about it the other day. The Turks have done this as part of their culture forever

@cherry   Thought to be a sanitizer, the substance had to contain 90% alcohol.  

@Shanus  I thought the recommendation for sanitizers was 60% alcohol.

I never hear of mouthwashes as possible sanitizers, such as Scope or Listerine.  Some mouthwashes also contain peroxide.  I don't know what percentage of alcohol they are, but it seems to me like mouthwash could be used in a pinch, too?

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@cherry wrote:

This will work in a pinch. If you have any cologne you don't mind using , spritz some into your palm, and use it like hand sanitizer. It contains alcohol. I read an article about it the other day. The Turks have done this as part of their culture forever

@cherry   Thought to be a sanitizer, the substance had to contain 90% alcohol.  

@Shanus  I thought the recommendation for sanitizers was 60% alcohol.

I never hear of mouthwashes as possible sanitizers, such as Scope or Listerine.  Some mouthwashes also contain peroxide.  I don't know what percentage of alcohol they are, but it seems to me like mouthwash could be used in a pinch, too?

Not enough alcohol content, @GrailSeeker.  Scope is 18%.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi, @CrazyKittyLvr2 !  I also have given up on chasing items in short supply.  I went to our market on Tuesday mid-day and was surprised to find fully stocked shelves of paper products - I'd gone the week before early to ensure a supply at home.  I don't look forward to heading to Costco but I need an RX at the Pharmacy and coffee. 

The goods news...the masks I ordered from Amazon have finally left CHINA,  still trying to LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

@granddi wrote:

@hayseed00 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2We still don't have paper towels, slim choice of toilet paper and no chance in H E double toothpicks of purchasing flour !!!

I finally found all purpose flour at Janie's Mill web site. If you are willing to over pay and pay for shipping it was available yesterday. 

I'm sure I spent a couple of hours searching. 

@granddi  - I just checked. $17.10 for a 3 pound bag of flour!!! At least that includes shipping. There must be gold dust in that bag of flour! I guess I'll do without. Thanks for the heads up.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

The tariff thing is boggling my mind.  The exemption was granted less than two weeks ago.  Anyone want to bet how many months before importing, production, delivery and supply chains can get Purell back on our shelves?

Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@granddi wrote:

@hayseed00 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2We still don't have paper towels, slim choice of toilet paper and no chance in H E double toothpicks of purchasing flour !!!

I finally found all purpose flour at Janie's Mill web site. If you are willing to over pay and pay for shipping it was available yesterday. 

I'm sure I spent a couple of hours searching. 

@granddi  - I just checked. $17.10 for a 3 pound bag of flour!!! At least that includes shipping. There must be gold dust in that bag of flour! I guess I'll do without. Thanks for the heads up.

People are marking up prices in absurd ways. I bought two pounds of Red Star yeast back in early March for $13.99. The same yeast is selling for twice that now from resellers. As soon as a product hits the market the resellers are snatching it up and marking up the price. Nintendo Switch consoles, which have been out for three years now, are suddenly very hot items and selling for nearly twice their shelf price. I just won't buy from the resellers and will do without rather than pay black market prices for stuff. I'd lock them all up and throw away the key if it was up to me. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!