Honored Contributor

Re: I'm Done Trying To Find "Stuff."

I live just outside a town of about 25,000.    There are a handful of locally owned grocery stores, I've given up on Walmart.    Except for cleaning supplies and bread flour, they are all stocked up like normal.   I did find yeast and I have some bread flour & plenty of AP.

I purchased Pine Sol in a bottle.   It is a disinfectant.

Like @mimomof4 I buy wipes, Lysol, etc in bulk, usually monthly but always before flu season.   But my supply is getting low.   Low to a hoarder is different than low to everyone else LOL

I hunker down during flu season every year anyway.    

But I've had about enough of this.

I believe deaths due to Covid19 have surpassed deaths by season flu so this may be our new normal.

Respected Contributor

@stuyvesant wrote:

I've been keeping a sort of mental list of things-I'm-gonna-buy-when-this-is-over.  I've even been saying to myself "second wave?  Will the window be enough so that stocks be replenished enough so I can get an N95."

This morning, I was watching a report on South Korea voting.  I decided I wanted a mask like they are all wearing.

@stuyvesant  The rest of the country is thinking the same way. We all want to stock up. So I don't see a time in the foreseeable future where we will be able to obtain these supplies easily. There will continue to be a tendency to hoard. It's human nature to feel like " I don't ever want to be in this position again." 

Esteemed Contributor

Spoiler

@esmerelda  Thanks, none in the house and our liquor stores aren't essential.  Wanna bet?

I did see where the WWE has been declared essential in FL.  Gee, how did that happen?

Honored Contributor

This will work in a pinch. If you have any cologne you don't mind using , spritz some into your palm, and use it like hand sanitizer. It contains alcohol. I read an article about it the other day. The Turks have done this as part of their culture forever

Honored Contributor

I have a supply of all the stuff that people are looking for purchased before COVID 19

Since I stay home and I am not out and about looking for said stuff, I don't really need to use a lot of it.

The virus doesn't have legs.  it will not get into my house all by itself.  The only way it will travel inside is if my DH and I bring it in.

I try to limit my shopping and only go when I really have to.  I do not do take out or cooked food delivery.  I do all my own cooking.

The only time I really need to use the heavy duty stuff is when I or my DH comes into the house after being out shopping.

In between times, I just clean with the regular cleaning products.  This Insures that I hopefully will not run out of my coveted supply of stuff.

I just don't understand why some people, many who live alone, are using all the heavy duty virus killers everyday.

If you have an essential worker in your home, things are different. I hope they can find the products they need sooner rather than later.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2  Sometimes at the bottom of wipes canisters there is some liquid.  If there is in yours when it's empty, you can use that. 

In fact, I've seen instructions (before all this started) about making your own wipes.  Take an old canister, put in whatever solution you want to use, cut a roll of paper towel in half and put inside.  Of course it won't take even half of a new roll.  You'd  need a partial roll to fit inside the canister.

I haven't tried it.  And thinking about it, it may be like many of those do-it-yourself solutions...it doesn't work.  It would have to be some strong paper towels to pull them out without ripping them to shreds in the process.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Hoarding doesn't always work. I was talking to a woman recently who always kept a large stockpile of toilet paper in her basement from long before the virus hit. Whenever it was on sale she'd buy it and stash it in her basement. She was buying it faster than she was using it so she'd built up quite a reserve. She had a pipe break right over her TP stockpile, soaking it all and ruining it and now she's got none and is relying on napkins until she can find some more TP. If you're going to hoard, you need to find safe places to stash it. You can think you're prepared for anything only to have God prove you wrong.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

This will work in a pinch. If you have any cologne you don't mind using , spritz some into your palm, and use it like hand sanitizer. It contains alcohol. I read an article about it the other day. The Turks have done this as part of their culture forever

@cherry   Thought to be a sanitizer, the substance had to contain 90% alcohol.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@Shanus  I thought the recommendation for sanitizers was 60% alcohol.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@Shanus  I thought the recommendation for sanitizers was 60% alcohol.

@esmerelda   Not sure. What's the % in perfume/cologne?