Esteemed Contributor

Re: I'm Disappointed in My Co-workers

Im seeing that too on facebook and with a few extended family members denying its that bad.. And its pathetic.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Trusted Contributor

Sometimes I try to make excuses for ppl who I think are "out there." There are some ppl who control their entire lives...and those around them. You can't control a virus, so they deny it.

More often, I just think to myself that a lot of ppl were born w/dead air between their ears.

This is so overwhelming because its never happened to any of us before, all the "what-ifs" get in the way. I can say I'm not nervous but I'd be lying, I have an 89 yr. old mother. Maybe a good thing to do, not just myself, but some of you too, is to keep a diary and chronicle our thoughts, what is going on and how we feel.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also am disappointed in my co workers.  We were asked to share work at home time 50/50 - some keep coming in, can’t be around there kids this long. what?  Yes we have social distancing, but some are too close.  Also, one coworker has shopped continually since Friday.  They rarely cook, so this is all new to them.  Another  what?  

I can’t watch this continued news non stop, but I am informed.  Another friend in the restaurant business went to work yesterday because she had no idea restaurants were closed.  No one told her, so 3 days later she realizes she has NO income.  I don’t want to be glued 24/7 to the news, but still keeping up on it.  

Yes, we have never experienced this, but I hope people realize how blessed they are in many ways.  I feel terrible for those who cannot work right now. The ones that CAN work are unhappy because they can’t go out to eat and complaining about kids/spouse being at home.  Unreal......

Honored Contributor

I know what you mean.  I don't work any longer (thank goodness), but almost everyone I talk to --- no-one seems to be taking it seriously either!  The ages are all over the place --- from much younger than me to quite a lot older.  I don't get it!  I mean, I don't expect people to react the same way, of course, and not all of us have health issues, but I just think that acting like this isn't happening, like it isn't serious - like, well, it's not affecting me, I'm going to do what I want, when I want, with whomever I want --- is not a good reaction, I don't think.  If this thing is to get under control, get contained, or whatever you want to call it, I think it has to be a group effort.  It's not just an "old people" disease or a disease that is a problem in a foreign country.  It's here --- right now!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I don't think people are taking this serious enough.  I know someone who's only interest is shopping and spending money.  I have not talked to her since all this began but I bet this is her worst nightmare not being able to shop.  I have never been much of a shopper and do most of it online.  My worst nightmare is both my husband and I being sick and dying at the same time and no one to care for our dogs.

Honored Contributor

@DearPrudence wrote:

Copied from the NIH:

Abstract

To calculate the burden of 2009 pandemic influenza A (pH1N1) in the United States, we extrapolated from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Emerging Infections Program laboratory-confirmed hospitalizations across the entire United States, and then corrected for underreporting. From 12 April 2009 to 10 April 2010, we estimate that approximately 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (8868-18,306) occurred in the United States due to pH1N1. Eighty-seven percent of deaths occurred in those under 65 years of age with children and working adults having risks of hospitalization and death 4 to 7 times and 8 to 12 times greater, respectively, than estimates of impact due to seasonal influenza covering the years 1976-2001.

I was around these boards in 2009 and I don't recall all the hype and hysteria like there is today, despite the situation then being far more dire. And the media certainly did not hit us over the head 24/7 with it.

Hmmmm, I wonder what has changed in this country since 2009? What could it be? Any guesses?

@DearPrudence   How do you explain that other countries are taking this seriously, too?  They certainly don't care who is in charge of our country.  They're thinking about their own countries.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau