Valued Contributor

My 8 year old indoor only cat....grunted and fell  dead last week.  He was in perfect health...I thought. He had even got a clean bill of health  DAYS before.  He dies right in front of my special needs son (adult).  Diesel was his BEST friend.  We became hysterical.  He shouted to me cat was not moving...then he screamed ": ma  Diesles'dead". I tried to revive him to no avail.  I always thought of myself as a "dog person" but truthfully  I love all animals.  We are still in shock.  We have another cat who is confused.  he seems to be scenting  and looking for his big brother.  They used to  play all the time,Now mymarley-cat is jsutmoping. He does not even want to eat.  The Dr said his heart just stopped and sometimesthese things happen.  I am a nurse (retired) I know that.  I just am really steruggling with this.  I am somewhat agoraphobic...like my son.  I spend every day in the house  with my pets.  I have 10 year old dog, a lab mix.  Now I am paranoid she is going to leave me.  PLEASE  help me.......I am really worried i cannot move away from this.  I know I said a week but really tomorrow morning makes two weeks.  I just was able to eat a bit for the first time last night.  I am a mess...we are a mess.  My husband too is extremely sad.  Diesel was a large energy in this home...now we have a BIG hole.  DEVASTED........

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I lost my cat suddenly....

friend.jpg

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry for your families loss. It's very hard to lose a pet.  It takes time. Sounds like something just went suddenly wrong.  There's no explanation for those rare things that happen.  You'll remember your pet always. My best to you all.

Honored Contributor

I think you should see a Dr or some type of therapist. You might need some meds ,to help you through  the next while. A loss is a loss , and it has upset all of you, to a big degree ,so ,don't think it isn't important enough to seek help

The only thing I can suggest , is to try to find another cat. It won't take the other cat's place, but ,it will still fill an empty spot ,in your heart

Trusted Contributor

i am so sorry that you lost your fur- child.  Cats ( and other pets) are such important family members.  I grieve for my pets intensely.  They offer comfort, joy, and unconditional love.  Take care of yourself. 

Honored Contributor

@mariadomenica-

I'm so sorry!

That is so sad and shocking.

I think it must be very hard to lose your sweet cat that way but also always seeing that image.

I know for me , it has helped to picture not just the last time they were with us and that sadness, but to see and feel their soaring healthy happy spirit in heaven or the rainbow bridge whatever you believe.

It will take time though I know until mostly you feel them happy and near you in spirit where they are now, even if its not on earth with us.

I guess you can just give your other kitty those extra hugs and love times 2 or 3-from you and your son, and from your sweet guy in heaven too!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I am so sorry.  I do understand how hard this is.  I can't tell you what to do.  Each person grieves differently, and i think we also grieve different losses differently.  When I lost Jake 3 1/2 years ago, I broke.  Couldn't function.  Made bad decisions.  I got a puppy, but I shouldn't have... my 10 year old furbaby couldn't handle it, and he broke and never recovered his carefree happies.  

My best advice is to focus on all the good things that Diesel was and did.  Marley might need a new companion.  If you're all ready, that might be a way to fill the void.  It was the wrong decision in my house, but might be the best decision in yours.  Take your time, and evaluate it well before acting.

You'll all get through this, but it will take time.  My thoughts are with you.

Trusted Contributor

Losing a beloved pet is truly devastating as any animal lover understands. Eventually you will be able to think of all the happy times you shared together without wincing.  Maybe you can make a scrap book or photo collage of your dear cat. I did when I lost one of my dogs - whom I loved very much.  My kids helped with the project - we laughed & cried together & it felt theraputic for all of us.  Take care.

Honored Contributor

You hurt because you loved.  It's never easy.  People grieve in different ways.  When my cat passed, I couldn't go and get another one.  It's been two years.  My mother though was the total opposite when her dog passed.  Are you able to get another cat?  It won't replace, but bring comfort during this period.  It will get a little better every week.

Super Contributor

I understand your pain, @mariadomenica. My last Pom died in my arms, at the vet. I knew something was wrong with her, so I'd taken her in, but didn't know she was that bad. She wasn't 2 years old yet. Dr. said, without doing an autopsy, it was probably a liver stent, and couldn't have been prevented. She wasn't even sick exactly, just lethargic for a few hours.

I was in shock. My grown kids and friends were in shock. She was my shadow, her favorite place was by my side, as if it were her job. We were going to grow old together.

I went home and cleaned up her things and put them away. And started looking for another Pom. 3 weeks later, I brought this little girl home. She has had health issues, but is a loving, very social little girl. If she's not with me, she's not far away. I tell her I love her little butt Smiley Happy.

Replacing a pet immediately isn't for everyone, one pet can't replace the lost pet, but a new one can fill the hole in your heart. It worked for me.

Prayers you get through this soon. You never "get over" losing a pet, at least, I don't. I now will have 8 doggies greeting me at the end.