Make your own kind of music

Even if nobody else sings along.

Mama Cass

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Re: I'll say it again: It's not fun here anymore:

[ Edited ]

@abbeythe 8th

I agree.....back away from the 'quote' button.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

This thread is chock full of ironic humor. What's more fun than that? : D

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

People say to start a thread, but I have seen people ask the most simple question and be torn to shreds here. 

So maybe posters are leery of starting threads

We all aren't going to feel the same way about the changes and believe it or not, that's okay Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

These board are similar to our daily lives, some days are better than others.

Every day cannot be a holiday and every day on the boards cannot leave us on the edge of our seats.

Tomorrow may be better or it could be a whole lot worse.  That's life.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

IG wrote:

@abbeythe 8th

I agree.....back away from the 'quote' button.

Another thing that makes the quoting less than legible is that some people will go ahead and hit the 'quote' button, then they will type their reply INSIDE the quote box. 

So, unless it matters so much that you want to go back and find the quoted poster's original post to see what they said, you have no idea who said what.

I wish the system would also automatically put the quoted posts in italics, as it should be.  What I do is go ahead and italicize the post I'm quoting and then I 'enter' down TWO lines below the quote box to make sure that what I say is clearly separate.

But I won't do the quote upon quote upon quote upon quote thing for obvious reasons already mentioned.   That's when a thread usually goes south and I just back out.

Honored Contributor

I try my best to take out quotes.  I am able to do so on my laptop, and I do.

I have no idea if it's even possible on the iPad, I've tried and no go.

Honored Contributor

Hi Noel!  It's a shame that they still have some problems with iPads!  I know they fixed some of the issues but it seems odd that there should be any differences for posters to be able to post.

That said, I don't have an iPad so there's probably a lot I don't know.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Hi Noel!  It's a shame that they still have some problems with iPads!  I know they fixed some of the issues but it seems odd that there should be any differences for posters to be able to post.

That said, I don't have an iPad so there's probably a lot I don't know.  Smiley Happy

Hi CB Smiley Happy

The iPad itself is great, you can drag along your computer as long as long as you have WiFi. 

But... it doesn't come with a lot of instructions on what it can do, and I hate to corner DD often with iPad 101 questions, lol. 

Honored Contributor

Here’s my novelSmileySmiley on the topic:

I’ve said all along that the launch of the new platform was clumsy, off-putting, and it caused some great posters to leave and never try again.  That’s a shame because in my opinion some very good changes have been made, so I hope those who left eventually wll return. 

One reason it’s more complicated is the fact that we also have many options/features we didn’t have before.  Also, they added more security checks with this platform.  For those who wonder about the “why’s” of the change, that’s part of the reason.  I’m guessing, but I think they also are trying to make their site look more like other popular sites (like Pinterest, Instagram, etc.).

Change isn’t always welcome, but it’s a constant and is actually good for the brain.  Staying in our comfort zone is nice but not always good.

The problem of the jumping screen is definitely still here but only certain devices see it.  If I use the full “desktop version” on my iPad or iPhone I see the jumping — but I also see it happen on some other websites, too.  Usually only on mobile devices…  if you use a computer and install addons/extensions like ad blockers, for example, the problem will probably disappear since it's caused by the way the page loads the promotional banners at the top.

As for content…  it seems to me the moderators were highly restrictive in the first couple of weeks but now are more lenient.  I still enjoy it here.  I’ve seen nicknames I didn’t see before, folks who posted in other sub-forms but didn’t usually come to the old “Viewpoints” threads, and it’s been great to get to “know” them.  Thread starting?  That always held potential pitfalls — I never realized there could be so many disparate views on one topic until I posted here.  So starting a thread now is no different (in my view) from before.  I don’t start many because I like to be able to follow up and be active if I start a thread, and I recently haven’t had time to devote to being here as much as before.

I hope they eventually will modify the expanse of white background, change the default font when someone is posting to a wee bit larger one, reinstate the “Ignore” feature, de-bug the problem causing the “jumping,” and change the page we see when we click on “Forums” to show more recent threads from all sub-forums.  I also hope more of the missing, long-time posters will return and give it more of a try, and I look forward to meeting more new folks here.

In my experience,  most things become the result of what we choose to think about them…  our attitude plays a huge role in determining our perception of anything, including a new format on a website.  I guess I chose to enjoy and adapt to this new platform…  so I like it and probably will continue to.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova