Valued Contributor

Re: I'll never understand how anyone could forget a child in a car seat?

I haven't read all the replies, so this might have already been said. Saying that cars should have sensors to remind people that their child is in the backseat ( in case your life is SO busy that you would need a reminder) doesn't make sense to me. A simple solution would be just to put your purse (woman) or briefcase (man Or woman) or phone in the backseat with the child. Something that you would need at work. Sadly, they would be remembered before the child by some people, but a simple solution anyway. No excuse for these continuing tragedies IMO!

I added the words "or phone" because it is illegal in some states to either talk or text while driving although it is still going on ALOT. I had to honk at the drivers in front of me twice this week when the light changed and they just sat there looking down messing with their phones. I have NO patience for these people, so I just lay on my horn till they move. Sorry if that sounds rude, but it is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. 

Honored Contributor

Re: WelRe: I'll never understand how anyone could forget a child in a car seat?

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

I saw that.  Isn't odd how when men do that, it's a crime, its murder.  Throw the book at them.  When women to it (and it is usally women); it's a tragic accident and we should have compassion for them.  So a man gets 30 years and woman gets 18 months in jail, sometimes no jail time at all.  I think it's not murder, it's neglect.  He didn't leave that child there deliberately.  He forgot.  He was off his routine and his mind was on other things and he forgot about the baby.  I don't care if he was thinking about bimbos or a business meeting or shopping for groceries for dinner.  I don't know what options the jury has but I would not convict him or murder.  It's not even child abuse.  He deserves whatever the maximum sentence is child neglect.  

@chrystaltree

Women are treated more harlshly than men.  I've also read that it's usually men who leave the baby in a car, but I don't have the reference for that.

From an AP study:

"Mothers are treated much more harshly than fathers. While mothers and fathers are charged and convicted at about the same rates, moms are 26% more likely to do time. And their median sentence is two years longer than the terms received by dads."

"Mothers were jailed 59% of the time, compared to 47% for fathers. And the median sentence was three years for dads, but five for moms."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-07-29-lefttodie_N.htm

Esteemed Contributor

There was no way this was a mistake!!!  The dad had looked up some very telling car/death info on the Internet prior to that day!  He was also looking up info on being single.  When he went to lunch and then to his car to drop off his lunch purchase, he didn't see/hear/smell his son??? And then, he got ready to leave his job - the child had been in the car for many hours and was surely dead by then - and he did n't get that stinky smell inside the car?? I heard a forensic expert say that the car would have had a revolting stink!!  I hope this man gets the death penalty....there is no defense for his actions!

Honored Contributor

IMO opinion it wasn't a mistake in this case.  I'll be interested to see the facts that come out in court.

Honored Contributor

@croemer wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

Don't people interact with their children?  When my kids were little,even babies I was always talking to them or singing to them while we drove.  Glancing at them in the rearview mirror,too.  When you do that it's hard to forget you have another person with you!  Alot of people are so self involved it's sick.  I hope he gets the max.

Sadly, not much these days. Look around- how many parents are actually interacting with their kids versus staring at their phone, texting? In cars now, they give them the phones to play with or there are tvs on the back of the head rests to keep the kids entertained. I don't blame the technology, I blame those that overuse it or use it in place of one-on-one interactions.

No I guess some parents do not communicate with their little ones when out and about. We were at a restaurants last weekend that has a flowing fountain...river rock and water about 20 ft. long and the whole time we were nervous because there were several children around 2-3 years old who were climbing on the rocks. We were not even sure which adults were their parents? I was keeping an eye on them because most of the adults in the vicinity were on their phones! This is not something we rarely observe...my husband and I see this all the time.

@croemer @HappyDaze @MoJoV   It's sad isn't it?  

Watching families saying nothing to each other - even when they are eating they are still on those darn phones.  Kids and all - not teens, either. Scrolling and texting.

What is so dang important?  Latest on Kim K?  Or Angie and Brad? 

All phones off in our family, period.    We must be the loudest people in any restaurant because we seem to be one of the few tables not glued to our phones.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@croemer wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

Don't people interact with their children?  When my kids were little,even babies I was always talking to them or singing to them while we drove.  Glancing at them in the rearview mirror,too.  When you do that it's hard to forget you have another person with you!  Alot of people are so self involved it's sick.  I hope he gets the max.

Sadly, not much these days. Look around- how many parents are actually interacting with their kids versus staring at their phone, texting? In cars now, they give them the phones to play with or there are tvs on the back of the head rests to keep the kids entertained. I don't blame the technology, I blame those that overuse it or use it in place of one-on-one interactions.

No I guess some parents do not communicate with their little ones when out and about. We were at a restaurants last weekend that has a flowing fountain...river rock and water about 20 ft. long and the whole time we were nervous because there were several children around 2-3 years old who were climbing on the rocks. We were not even sure which adults were their parents? I was keeping an eye on them because most of the adults in the vicinity were on their phones! This is not something we rarely observe...my husband and I see this all the time.

@croemer @HappyDaze @MoJoV   It's sad isn't it?  

Watching families saying nothing to each other - even when they are eating they are still on those darn phones.  Kids and all - not teens, either. Scrolling and texting.

What is so dang important?  Latest on Kim K?  Or Angie and Brad? 

All phones off in our family, period.    We must be the loudest people in any restaurant because we seem to be one of the few tables not glued to our phones.

@Cakers3 @croemer

It breaks my heart when I see the adults on their phone-both mom and dad- while their little ones are stitting there, doing whatever they can to try to get their attention-sometimes even naughty things after being good doesn't work. To some kids, even negative attention is often better than none at all! Those parents will scratch their head wondering where the time went when their kids are grown. Too bad they are wasting away precious time with their children. I often think the adults are worse than the kids/teens these days regarding being on their phones!

Honored Contributor

The mother is supposed to testify on the father's behalf. She said she thinks it was an accident.

Honored Contributor

And why was he researching hot car deaths?Man Indifferent

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

@croemer wrote:

And why was he researching hot car deaths?Man Indifferent

Exactly. Nancy Grace said this morning or yesterday on GMA he was searching how long it takes a dog to die in a hot car. 

Who even thinks about something like that?   

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

The mother is supposed to testify on the father's behalf. She said she thinks it was an accident.

I read the mother divorced him and blames him for the childs death