Respected Contributor

Re: I'll never understand how anyone could forget a child in a car seat?

Even a 67 year old (like me) isn't THAT forgetful.  I hope they burn him.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

I don't understand many things in life.  I also don't think we are supposed to understand people like this.

Honored Contributor

I still frequent some parenting forums and it SHOCKS me the number of parents who say:

"You have NO RIGHT to say you'd NEVER forget a child in their seat. They sleep; you're tired, you have things on your mind. Good for you for being SO SUPERIOR".

Yep, they don't understand how ANYONE can NOT understand that "this happens".

I don't know which I find more disgusting, to be honest with you: his crime or their outlook on it.

Honored Contributor

@PenneyT wrote:

Life for many families has gotten so stressful and busy. Not to excuse this at all, but I think that in MOST cases it is a terrible tragedy that no one planned. 

Cars may need some sort of sensor. And places like Wallyworld often have stickers on the door to remind people to check their cars. 

@PenneyT wrote:

Life for many families has gotten so stressful and busy. Not to excuse this at all, but I think that in MOST cases it is a terrible tragedy that no one planned. 

Cars may need some sort of sensor. And places like Wallyworld often have stickers on the door to remind people to check their cars. 

I agree that MOST cases are indeed not planned or intended. People are careless and too wrapped up in way too many things.

There was something to be said for the simpler life in past times. It seems people could still focus. Their lives were not so overly full and distracted and over scheduled. We did not have all these modern distractions taking up our time and space in the brain. Most people were more responsible than many are today. It seems that in general, each generation is being given less and less responsibility during their formative years, and the way they handle things as adults (time, children, personal lives etc.) shows that. 

Anyone can make a mistake, I just fail to see how one could forget a child for hours on end. You'd think at some point in the first few minutes, it would hit you....that you 'forgot' the kid.

Respected Contributor

It is unfathamable to me how anyone could forget a child left in a car. 

I do not understand how anyone think it's anything but deliberate.

Respected Contributor

I keep hearing that the latest technology "distractions" make people smarter.  Guess not.  Not really seeing "smart" these days.

Frequent Contributor

Leaving a child or a pet in a hot car for that matter is something I cannot understand.

Some people are overwhelmed with their lives, daycare, shift work, pick up - drop off and the rest that young people have to deal with today.  Not an excuse, just trying to feel sympathy for those who have to live out their lives with that tragic memory.

This man according to what I have read, had plans to rid himself of his family.  It will be up to a Judge and Jury to decide his future. He should be given more than a slap on the wrist.

"God created memories so that we might have roses in December." - Italo Svevo
Trusted Contributor

Last night on Nancy Grace the judge said he would have smelled death when opening his car door. This guy who wanted to be child free planned wrong on all his internet searches staged it so he drove too far before "noticing" his son is a corpse & that it didn't fit. When first accused of murder, this father had a ready answer "it wasn't malicious intent!" That wasn't thought out well in his murder plot either.

Honored Contributor

I live in the South and this seems to happen way too often.    When the parents are  prosecuted, I believe this behavior will stop or at least not be so frequent.

I raised two kids.   It wasn't easy, but you put your kids first, they are HELPLESS.

Let me ask this, for those of you who live in cold weather, are there ever times when someone leaves their kid in a car & they die from exposure?    I guess that is not as likely as dying in a hot car, when it could happen in about an hour or so, depending on the child & the actual temperature.

@cherry wrote:

I just read about a guy in Georgia who is on trial for the death of  his small son. He left him in the car as he went into work

Of course he remembered to s#xually text 6 women, one even being underage. He talked about how kids get old and you need an escape

When he was put in the police car, he even complained about how hot the car was

I hope they throw the book at this loser. I never will understand how anyone could forget a child.

Respected Contributor

@software  Funny, I never really thought about it before (cold car as opposed to hot car).  I live in NE Ohio, so we get plenty of very cold days here, and I don't recall ever hearing of someone leaving a child or pet in a car and freezing to death.  Interesting.  Why are people's memories better in the cold than in the heat?

Laura loves cats!