Honored Contributor

Re: I know I should be grateful but Really,,,,,?!!!!!!!!

I had to laugh after reading the replies at how heated we can get over a simple complaint about of all things mundane...cleaning.This thread could even come close to being argumentative.We are running out of topics to discuss without a proofing from Q so I guess for those if us who like a heated debate it has come down to a fight about chores.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

I had to laugh after reading the replies at how heated we can get over a simple complaint about of all things mundane...cleaning.This thread could even come close to being argumentative.We are running out of topics to discuss without a proofing from Q so I guess for those if us who like a heated debate it has come down to a fight about chores.

I do believe you are correct.  This is what it has come to. Sad but true.  :-/

And back to the topic.... When I was married, we both did everything.  There was no such thing as "woman's work".  We both rolled up our sleeves and did whatever it was that needed to be done.  It was never even a discussion.  It just happened that way.  I cooked, cleaned, did laundry, changed diapers, got up with the babies at night - and so did he.

If someone wants to help me out around the house, that's great.  I've never felt the need to stand over them, watch their every move, and critique how they do it. Before too long, it will need doing again, and if I want it done my way, I'll do it then.  Life's too short to give a moment's thought to something like this, IMO.  Relationships and feelings matter more than minor day-to-day things that in the long-run are pretty trivial.

Honored Contributor

Geeeeeee after reading these posts I better just shut my mouth...although, spouse rarely does any cleaning (weekly) he comes in handy for :

- cleaning ceilings & fans

- cleaning all recessed & chandelier lighting

- cleaning kitty boxes & their domain

- all outside work ... no critters 🦎🐍🐊🐿🐁🐀 waiting for me...this AM a huge raccoon was on our stoop leading to lanai door😳😳😳😳

- cleaning inside & out windows, sills, screens

- pot ledges thruought house

- showers. 

ALL this with a low-keyed grumble as soon as I get him the list. He is welcomed to work at his pace BUT want it done in timely manner & done right, which is his way! (Bite my tongue I'm not getting on 18' ladder).

of course, no one I know enjoys domestic chores like I do inc ironing! Keeps my therapy visits to a minimum 🙈🙊

On the flip side, I go away a lot sometimes 4-8 weeks - while I'm gone he is totally self-sufficient, including wash, cook, clean, foodshop, etc. -- our joke is "only takes me 1 hour to make it look like a tornado hit"😳 Sad but true!