Honored Contributor

Re: I know I should be grateful but Really,,,,,?!!!!!!!!

Nataliesgramma wrote:

My hubby's idea of clean and mine are too different.....and after he sucked the sheers into the vaccum....I just prefer to do the cleaning myself and we are both happy with it that way.....

I can relate to that.  Many years ago, when we both worked and were renting this little bitty house that didn't even have a dishwasher, we would share the work around the house.

One time he sees me re-washing the dishes that he had washed and put in the dish drainer.   

He asked me why and I said that some of them weren't clean.   His response?  Well, they weren't clean enough FOR YOU.  

Say what?   This is an area where you can pretty much go for absolutes - they are either clean or they are not clean.  I wasn't there to start any big thing.  I just re-washed the ones that were not clean.   But he seemed to take offense at first and that was one he couldn't win if he wanted to go nuclear with it.  Smiley Happy   

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

You need to get back to work.   You've had too much time to sit around and think.   It's counter productive. 

Spoken like someone who doesn't think things through before doing them (or saying them).

Esteemed Contributor

@pggoody wrote:

I've been home from work ( cold/virus) the past few days and have posted and enjoyed reading the replies....... Thought I would get your thoughts on something else. I know it might sound trivial but here goes.......

When you swift/ and or sweep your floors , do you make systematic piles  so as not to drag the debris from one part of the room to another.?  I do and my DH does not.  He drags the crumbs from the kitchen across the family room floor or vice versa  to make one pile.     We have hard wood floors in the family room and ceramic in the kitchen.   Our sweet little four legged daughter sheds so the couch and floors get cleaned every morning.   I tell him he is dragging hair and debris across the rooms and it's easier and quicker to make piles in a couple areas and vacuum up as you go. He says he  repeats the process several times so he'll get everything eventually .  We have a central vacuum so it's pretty easy to sweep up and vacuum in sections.   I keep my mouth shut if I'm home and he's helping, but it annoys me   He is retires and I am not, so he will sometimes offer to help out a bit. It's one of those cases where I welcome the help but.........  He's also known to clean the bathroom floor with the same rag he wipes the sink with.😱....rests the dirty broom and swifter on the living room or family room Pottery Barn rugs😁  Sometimes just easier to do it yourself. 😜

I understand how  you feel..............i have shown and asked my husband IF he was going to help with  something to do the job right...........but  he is always in a hurry to "just get it done" and doesn't really care to take the time to do the job well.................when i was young my mom would quote to me " a job worth doing ...is worth doing well"......i have also thought that......but anytime my  husband "helps"....he rushes through just to get it done and if i complain he claims i am just too "fussy"....not so....so if there is ANY WAY i can do it myself..i will!

Honored Contributor

Yes, it would drive me crazy...but  I know that many men do not help out in the house so I guess I would try to keep my mouth shut.

My DH helps load the dishwasher.....I generally have to remind hm that there are a lot of dishes so please load accordingly.....it's a work in progress.

Maybe I am odd but I really prefer to do these jobs by myself...but if I had a physical disability or injury or was really, really busy I would want the help but right now, I have no problem doing most of the indoor work all on my own.

Honored Contributor

@pggoody wrote:

I've been home from work ( cold/virus) the past few days and have posted and enjoyed reading the replies....... Thought I would get your thoughts on something else. I know it might sound trivial but here goes.......

When you swift/ and or sweep your floors , do you make systematic piles  so as not to drag the debris from one part of the room to another.?  I do and my DH does not.  He drags the crumbs from the kitchen across the family room floor or vice versa  to make one pile.     We have hard wood floors in the family room and ceramic in the kitchen.   Our sweet little four legged daughter sheds so the couch and floors get cleaned every morning.   I tell him he is dragging hair and debris across the rooms and it's easier and quicker to make piles in a couple areas and vacuum up as you go. He says he  repeats the process several times so he'll get everything eventually .  We have a central vacuum so it's pretty easy to sweep up and vacuum in sections.   I keep my mouth shut if I'm home and he's helping, but it annoys me   He is retires and I am not, so he will sometimes offer to help out a bit. It's one of those cases where I welcome the help but.........  He's also known to clean the bathroom floor with the same rag he wipes the sink with.😱....rests the dirty broom and swifter on the living room or family room Pottery Barn rugs😁  Sometimes just easier to do it yourself. 😜

If that's really the way you feel and what you are worried about it you SHOULD do it yourself and have after it!  You should go right now and tell him "Don't EVER do any housework around here again!"  And mean it.  

I think that's the only sensible solution to this situation.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@pggoody wrote:

My question to you is, what makes you think your way is the right way?  Women who have that attitude usually find themselves doing all of the work because when others help, it isn't good enough.  If you ever said anything to me after I cleaned, I'd never help again. 

@glb613

Gee, why so harsh.

OP admits she is grateful for the help. She doesn't rag her husband about it, but may have stated her reasons for doing what she does, and she has very good reasons for the way she does things. Efficiency and being sanitary are important in house cleaning. Doing certain things the wrong way can actually make people sick, and if it isn't one's normal 'job' to say...clean the bathroom...they may never have thought what is safe to do in regards to the order in which things are washed/wiped up in that room. Similar to those that might not know how important it is to sanitize surfaces/tools that have had raw meat on them, before using them for other food prep.

At any rate, coming here to post something that frustrates you like this isn't reason to chastise someone, especially when they have noted they are grateful.

You must be kidding.  If she was really grateful, she wouldn't be posting how her husband doesn't clean right on a public message board.  I've know lots of women like her and it's her way or it's wrong.  Sanitize?  Really?  Germaphobes are exhausting. 

Trusted Contributor

I wouldn't say harsh, but matter of fact. 

There's a full moon tomorrow....just say'n

Regular Contributor

Well.....to all that took the time to reply.....😄. Thanks for sharing. I really get a chuckle with how serious some posters take to the boards.  No question, I like things done right and if my way can be improved, I'm all  ears . But my husband will be the first to admit that he is by far a follower and not the best of a student when it comes to domesticity.  But boy can he fix things around the house!  He's a MARVELOUS  handyman.  And YES I tell him so!!!

I appreciate his efforts when he does help me, but  I still cringe.  For the most part I do most of  the cleaning....and I prefer it that way.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

You need to get back to work.   You've had too much time to sit around and think.   It's counter productive. 

Spoken like someone who doesn't think things through before doing them (or saying them).

Hi @Mominohio...I thought @Kachina624's comment was meant to be kind of tongue-in-cheek...I took it that way and got a good chuckle out of it!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Hi @Mominohio...I thought @Kachina624's comment was meant to be kind of tongue-in-cheek...I took it that way and got a good chuckle out of it!

@MacDUFF@  @Mominohio  Those were the exact words my husband said to me when I sat at home for several weeks while on maternity leave.   He was right. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment