Super Contributor

Re: I knew I was old when...

I knew I was old when I would apply my makeup, get in the car, glance in the mirror and see Norma Desmond or The Nanny's Grandma Yetta. Makeup looked better in the house, even with a 10x magnification mirror.
"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Super Contributor

Me, too!!
"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Respected Contributor

Does anyone still have the newspaper delivered? I do. I look forward to my paper every morning. I know, sad isn't it? I do not like online papers. I want my paper in front of me so I can take my time reading it while drinking my coffee. I enjoy stimulating my brain with the word jumbles and puzzles. I remember when the paper cost ten cents a day and fifty cents for the Sunday paper. Now, it's $1.50 Monday-Saturday and $2.50 on Sunday! Sheesh.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

Actually I reallize I'm old any time I pass a mirror, though sometimes, if I take a quick glance, I wonder who this old person is who keeps following me.

As for phones, our first one was a wooden wall unit with a crank. Later it was about 14 inches tall and had the receiver hanging on a hook on the side. Party line?  Sure. Sometimes four families on the same line. No rotary dial - an operator picked up .After rotary dials came in,  numbers were  like 2470 and later DE 2470.  One phone per house, usually in a hallway.  No one ever dreamed of having their own phone - much less what we now have. And we all got that dime when we left home in case we needed to phone Dad!!

Super Contributor

When my son first asked me if I actually was alive when John F. Kennedy was shot. It could have been worse; he could have said Abraham Lincoln.
Honored Contributor

When I started attending the Bingo game at the community center.

Respected Contributor

@brewhaha wrote:

When I started attending the Bingo game at the community center.

@brewhaha...yup, that is a dead give away! LOL.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mom had children later in life so she's retired now. That lady amazes me.

No matter what age she is, she has the highest self-esteem of anyone I've met. She doesn't focus on her wrinkles etc. or the fact that she's getting older. I'm not so cheery about aging as she is and hopefully I can learn this from her. 

She keeps busy, still tries to look her best, uses makeup and just says "I look beautiful". She knows she's changed but she just says this is an older but still a great version of who I am. She embraces her age and I think that is the secret to looking good at any age. I see the AARP magazines etc. on her table and she loves all the discounts she now gets. Whenever we plan an outing to a museum etc. she always loves the senior citizen discount. She says she's earned it!!! LOL

Aging is not easy. But you know what, as a teenager I was insecure about my acne, then now in my late twenties it's something else. There is always something that bothers most of us. So, I'm learning to love myself more because when I think back on that beautiful, tiny brown crochet bikini I bought when I was 17 that I never wore because I was 'too skinny', I wish I can take it back. I was beautiful the way I was. 

We are much too hard on ourselves. 

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

When we started eating supper around 4:00.   And the first time I ordered from the 55+ section of the IHOP menu.    

Super Contributor

Your mom sounds like an awesome woman and you do, too, nycvixen.