Esteemed Contributor

Re: I knew I was old when...

When my granddaughter asked me what DVD's I played on my TV when I was little......and when I tried to explain to her what Black and white TV was too...

Esteemed Contributor

I knew I was old when...suddenly I became aware of the possibility of looking old or, worse yet, acting oldWoman LOL. If you're young, the issue of "old age" never enters your mind.

Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

When the cashier at my grocery store asked "you mean there was a time you could dial a telephone number and not have to use the area code?"  I told her to shut up!!  She laughed but she did look at me funny when I remember as a young girl not even having a 7 digit phone number but a five digit number.  Then our town got so big we had to have the prefix to our phone numbers.  That shocked her.  I left thinking I should have asked her if she had every seen a rotary phone?

@beckyb1012...I remember having a rotary phone and there were no area codes yet. I think to call long distance, you dialed zero to get an operator. Cat LOL

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

.....When you have more aches, and pains............

Esteemed Contributor

...when my kids started getting AARP mailings. My oldest daughter will be turning 50 next March. She is traumatized by it. I am numb.

Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

When people started calling me Ma'am.Cat LOL

@catwhisperer

Uh-Oh! I was born & raised in the deep south and at 62, I still call ladies Ma'am, even if the person is younger than me, LOL!

I was taught that saying Ma'am and Sir was a sign of respect, not of age.

And I just can't stop my southern roots, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

When people started calling me Ma'am.Cat LOL

@catwhisperer

Uh-Oh! I was born & raised in the deep south and at 62, I still call ladies Ma'am, even if the person is younger than me, LOL!

I was taught that saying Ma'am and Sir was a sign of respect, not of age.

And I just can't stop my southern roots, LOL!

@KingstonsMom.....I totally agree with you and am aware that in the south Ma'am is considered a sign of respect. I live in CA where everyone is called "dude" or worse. Cat LOL

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When a washer repair guy came to my mom's house while I was visiting.  He was younger than I was.  I was somewhere in my 30s then. 

I know you probably mean "old" as older than that, but before that day I had usually found myself as the youngest in most groups.   Looking back, I now find that odd.  Oh, well, that's the way it was.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

All my docs were younger than me!!!  some a lot younger!!!

Honored Contributor

When the "girls" that I watched grow up with DD started having babies.  When my friends became grandparents.  When getting out of bed takes longer than getting in bed.  So many signs ... Wait ... I'm not old ... I'm perfectly aged.   I'll only get better from here! Smiley Happy

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."